Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I would choose Google even if it wasn't set as the default. I've never used any other search engine except for back in the 90s when there was Yahoo and one other search page.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Apple reinvests the money they got from Google back into Apple Sign In and Safari.
I am giving reasons why Apple is sticking with Google as the default search engine. No where did I say Apple is paying Google. Do you understand now?
But how would they reinvest money that got cut off? That’s my question

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
So here we have Apple and their constant going on about how they take user privacy seriously yet they turn around and set Google - who couldn't care less about user privacy - as the default search engine in Safari. AND take tons of money from Google when doing so.

Something smells very rotten here.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
So here we have Apple and their constant going on about how they take user privacy seriously yet they turn around and set Google - who couldn't care less about user privacy - as the default search engine in Safari. AND take tons of money from Google when doing so.

Something smells very rotten here.
Can you back up your claim, (not by using forum narratives please)?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Do you really think Samsung is there to promote Apple Music and Apple TV out of kindness? Geez... There is a reason I can uninstall all the other apps and not these two: $$$.
Which Samsung had to agree to. Of course Apple is going to want their apps preloaded.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
But how would they reinvest money that got cut off? That’s my question

Re-read my original post. I’m talking about why Apple keeps Google as the default search engine. Nowhere am I talking about Apple getting cut off and AFAIK, Google is still the default search so they haven’t got cut off (at least not yet).

I think you’re wildly confused and I can’t keep re-explaining what I said as it’s wasting a ton of time, so I’m going to end it here with you. Have a good one.

• Haha
Reactions: LeadingHeat

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I don’t think they’d have a choice - I think if google isn’t the default it’s because the govt had prescribed a different solution, and it won’t be “make DuckDuckGo your default”

I suppose the government (or a court) could, in a different case, force Apple to give users a choice when they set up their iPhones. I wouldn’t expect that, but it’s possible.

It won’t happen in this case though. Apple isn’t a party to this case and I don’t see the DOJ trying to add them. The DOJ isn’t even alleging a §1 violation, the kind that might involve multiple defendants.

The court in this case might order Google to stop paying Apple, and others, for default status. But it isn’t going to tell Apple what it can do in response to that.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
A “natural monopoly” is called that because usually they are constrained by some physical reality - like pipes in the ground or electric wires. I cannot imagine how that applies to Apple or Google. (Not that they might not be illegal monopolies...)
You don't think social media has emerged within contemporary human relations as a basic service, by now? I mean, I'm not sure how much more penetration in the market it would have to have, to persuade you of this. Facebook is precisely pipes in the ground. Just like the agora (i.e., "public square" principle) is like the pipes in the ground. The public have embraced Facebook and Twitter as de facto elements of the pubic square. Why should private companies run this, let alone monopolies? Something like the BBC model (the UK gov't runs it as a public trust) would be better.

Last edited:

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Maybe...but then ask yourself the question, why does Google think searching on iOS devices is worth $12B....we know at least one reason why Apple accepts it

Google pays to get traffic, not to get privacy information from Apple.
Once you are on a Google website with a property they will of course try to collect as much has they can, but that is your choice staying on their websites with the browser.

Last edited:

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
sheesh...$8B just to be the default , not the exclusive search engine!
How much data are they harvesting and selling from just plain searches?!
in Q2 2020, Google made $38.297B in revenue (just for that 3 month period). Of that, ~56% was from "Google search and other". This does NOT include ad revenue from Youtube ($3.812B) or partner networks (i.e. Google ads on 3rd party sites, $4.736B), Google Cloud ($3.007B), or other Google income ($5.124B). Net income (aka profit) for the quarter was $6.959B. And again, that's "just" one quarter.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Can anyone let us know if this huge payment to Apple covers the USA only? Or does it cover every country in which Google is set to be the default?

From what I have gathered, in China Baidu is the default in IOS. What is the default in, for example, Russia? Looks like it might have been Yandex at one point.

There is also an obvious possibility that, regardless what the USA legal system determines, other jurisdictions might see this as unacceptable.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I suppose the government (or a court) could, in a different case, force Apple to give users a choice when they set up their iPhones. I wouldn’t expect that, but it’s possible.

It won’t happen in this case though. Apple isn’t a party to this case and I don’t see the DOJ trying to add them. The DOJ isn’t even alleging a §1 violation, the kind that might involve multiple defendants.

The court in this case might order Google to stop paying Apple, and others, for default status. But it isn’t going to tell Apple what it can do in response to that.

It’s questionable whether, given that Apple isn’t in the case, the gov‘t can invalidate the contract between apple and google in the first place, for the same reason.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Apple does not give your demographic data to apps. I’m not even sure what you are talking about. The policy you linked says they assign you to certain segments for the purposes of showing you personalized ads with their ad service. You are lumped into a group of at least 5000 other people and then Apple shows people in that group specific ads. So Apple knows about you but they don’t need to share any of this info with developers to show ads. It specifically says they don’t track your usage across apps.
"We create segments, which are groups of people who share similar characteristics, and use these groups for delivering targeted ads. Information about you is used to determine which segments you’re assigned to, and thus, which ads you receive."

In other words, the advertisers you see in free apps know your demographic. They might not know who you are. But they know the kind of person you are.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
How do you know Microsoft isn't willing? And yes, agreed, $$ is just one factor. The process doesn't have to be an auction, though. Just a competitive process.
Why do you think there’s been some kind of conspiracy between Apple and Google to shut Microsoft out of default search on iOS? If Apple turned down $12 billion from Microsoft we would have heard about it lol.

I don’t know where you got this idea of a “competitive process” in any case. Apple’s not awarding a subcontract. Companies form partnerships with other companies all the time. There’s no requirement to shop deals around or offer the opportunity to anyone else ?‍♂️

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Or perhaps most people would switch back to Google if it wasn't the default engine because DuckDuckGo and others still can't replicate the results that Google provides AND Apple can reinvest some of those billions back into privacy conscious solutions such as Apple Sign In and Safari privacy features.

Google paying $8B to be the default means people will not change the default and will use whatever was pre-set
Presumably, though, the result would be a choice screen, not some other default. So everyone will see a list of choices, google being one of them.

How many are going to pick duckduckgo or bing?

I bet if Apple added a note next DDG in brackets saying "recommended by Apple" many people will go with that. I am huge proponent of privacy but $8B is very hard to turn down.

I use all search engines and by now Google is just a brand that people use for recognition 90% or more times all other search engines provide similar/exact results. Although I have to say that I think all search engines out there are really just relying either on Google index(StartPage) or Bing's(DuckDuckGo).

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Google paying $8B to be the default means people will not change the default and will use whatever was pre-set

Disagreed. They will change. Microsoft Internet Explorer (now Edge) is the default browser, yet people changed to Chrome and now has more marketshare than IE + Edge + Firefox combined.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If the Justice department can find time to act Apple as an anti-trust to Google to be the default search engine on IOS , then the same can be true with Google doing the the same to users with advertising against privacy rights

When someone gets so much money, all hell breaks loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.