Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Possibly, but that would be in a third-party app not actual iOS or system apps.

Not possibly: definitely. Apple facilitate this by providing your demographic information to apps. Any iOS app that wants it.

Most people seem to be ok with that, but I personally turn off the iOS setting that allows my demographic to be distributed in this way. Settings | Privacy | Apple Advertising. Read the accompanying text below that setting.

Reactions: simonmet

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Most people would probably just use the default. If it's not google, that could be huge. In a few years of course Apple will be releasing their own anyway.

Well why an earth would Apple release their own search Engine?

1. They would lose a quarter of their profits
  2. and since they “truly” don't believe in monetising privacy and data why would need a search engine, unless of course this has never really been true...see 1. above.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
If Google only get's your IP address, your search term and which device you are using, they are not getting anymore than if you choose Google search as your default search engine anyway.

Or do you have any information on what is provided by your iOS-device?

Maybe...but then ask yourself the question, why does Google think searching on iOS devices is worth $12B....we know at least one reason why Apple accepts it

• Love

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Google doesn’t actually sell data. They sell ads based on the data they harvest. That’s their whole competitive advantage. The reason why it’s so valuable is because most people don’t bother changing their search engine and it’s free ad money for Google over the rest of the time the user stays on iOS.

This is correct. Google don’t spend all this money acquiring data (e.g. $12B to Apple) to then pass it up to other companies. With that data, they have the ability to target (like a laser) advertising making it far more valuable and attractive to their clients.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Even if it's not default, I will set it as one. I mean you can hate Google all you want with its shady practices and privacy breaches, but when it comes to search engine (along with Youtube), it's the de facto standard.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I've switched my default search to duckduckgo on mobile and desktop.
And I'm glad it doesn't give the same search results as Google. It gives better results.
And on the desktop, duckduckgo uses Apple maps as its default.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
And the first thing that is changed after installation is.... 5...4...3...2...1...0

The default search engine. I think I actually Google for search once or twice a year. Now... if the numpties that design sites could get their head out of Google's backside we could all boycott google but we can't completely. Take that stupid Captur system. I have to allow google[dot]com just because some designers are stupid enough to think that it stops the bots. Who runs more bots than anyone? The answer is G****e.

nuff said.

• Love

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
One Word. WOW.

lots of activity on this thread

think of all the sick people with no health insurance and Cancer or COVID that can be healed with THAT money.

I have Cancer now. Leukemia and I have health Insurance. cant get treatment . gonna buy cannabis oil with high THC to kill Cancer in my blood along with my RAW VEGAN DIET

Steve Jobs died of Cancer

• Wow

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
Seems like google would lose little traffic but apple would lose a lot of money. (Most people would choose google as their default)
I don’t think so. Most people don’t care which maps app they use. They open the default one, enter an address and often don’t even know whether it’s the one from google or apple.

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
And the first thing that is changed after installation is.... 5...4...3...2...1...0

The default search engine. I think I actually Google for search once or twice a year. Now... if the numpties that design sites could get their head out of Google's backside we could all boycott google but we can't completely. Take that stupid Captur system. I have to allow google[dot]com just because some designers are stupid enough to think that it stops the bots. Who runs more bots than anyone? The answer is G****e.

nuff said.
Please edit the “5,4,3,2,1” and “nuff said” parts. Embarrassing...

• Disagree

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I can actually get results from DuckDuckGo that I can't get from Google Search.
I frequently find the differences are significant. Sometimes with Google I have to wade through dozens of hits to find what I am looking for whereas DuckDuckGo gets there within the first few.

In general, there is more crap in Google searches. But Google is often better at taking a poorly thought out search term and returning something sensible.

And, yes, DuckDuckGo does sometimes find things that would never appear on Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.