Google Shows Off Android P With New iPhone X-Style Gestures

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So I guess it's not going to be named after candy/sweet. Just going with Android P. Similar gestures like the iPhone, but some differences. Not sure I would want know my app usage, might be alarmed.
Nope. Note finalized yet. Android is always a letter in beta and then they add the sweet name when they close to release

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No. Still Android copies iOS.
This is not an argument and doesn’t offer insight why you believe otherwise. In terms of both platforms, they’re so different in their own tangent, even if they share _some_of the same functionality, you wouldn’t have those who strictly prefer iOS or android just because they might have some remote similarities in their platforms. Competition between both platforms is much needed, and they do have similarities and yet they have their differences, but you need to have that differential for the consumer to make the decision. Software is everything for the experience, hardware is second.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple still leads the way IMO. Companies seem to always get it later.
What's amazing is that Android fanboys will say things like "Apple copied large screens" or something.

If Apple adds a feature second, it takes it's sweet time to do so. It's not an instant (in tech terms) retaliation, unlike Android Pay & Samsung Pay, among other things.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: For all the different ideas Google, Samsung and others have had... people sure do use their Android phones like Apple designed the iPhone to be used.

Just look at the app stores - despite Android having a system where it's possible to build apps that aren't possible on iOS, the most popular apps are iOS ports.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not surprising, the X gestures are probably my favorite part about the phone. I figured Google would copy right away, nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: FFR

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Oooo. Now for a reality check: Android is Android, is Android, is Android. No thanks. I'll take a sloppy iOS release to a locked down Fudge Brownie, Vanilla Cupcake, Gumdrop any day. :apple:

Reactions: crtowles

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
Apple is making it tougher to consider their smartphones going forward.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Apple is making it tougher to consider their smartphones going forward.
I think android has come along way and it’s certainly not what it once was in the past. There are some who will never abandon iOS no matter how good android becomes, because I believe that when you factor in Apples customer service, security and five years of iOS support, those are three main ingredients that make the iOS ecosystem so crucial in the experience, seemingly that Android falls short on in my opinion.

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
Not surprising, the X gestures are probably my favorite part about the phone. I figured Google would copy right away, nothing wrong with that.
Everything wrong with that. It's very frustating to come up with new ideas just to have your neighbor copy them.

Reactions: Amacfa

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Everything wrong with that. It's very frustating to come up with new ideas just to have your neighbor copy them.
If android does copy iOS, who cares? I don’t think it’s going to be enough for those who only use the iOS just to make the transition over to android because of some copied features. If Samsung wants to create competition by _copying_ Apple, so be it. But we know iOS is still very dominant for other reasons. (Security, customer support, 4/5 years of iOS updates).

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Adaptive Battery sounds pretty cool.

I wonder how much battery ends up being wasted on the dozens of apps I have installed on my iPhone that I only launch once a month, just to serve me notifications or maintain some state in the background.

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
I think android has come along way and it’s certainly not what it once was in the past. There are some who will never abandon iOS no matter how good android becomes, because I believe that when you factor in Apples customer service, security and five years of iOS support, those are three main ingredients that make the iOS ecosystem so crucial in the experience, seemingly that Android falls short on in my opinion.
If I wanted to keep my phone for 5 years, I would definitely hold onto iOS for sure, so no argument there. As a tech lover, my budget is shrinking because I need to save $ for investments, housing, retirement, etc, so I could only afford so much. Apple is too expensive to fully integrate into the ecosystem.

Customer service isn’t so bad with Google because of two year warranties and easy advanced exchanges over the phone. It’s not 100% simple as going to an Apple Store for sure, so Apple is better, but it’s not worth the OS limitations and extra $ for the added convenience for me.

Security is overrated on iOS to me. So many people still use Google services on iOS because Apple cannot get their stuff together on Siri, Apple Maps, etc. Google will still have access to so much info. iOS also has many similar exploits to Android like Krack. I do admit their security is better than Android though. But my thinking is that people can still compromise a device without regard for an OS since phones are only as good as the software. Hardware can help against unwanted intrusions because of fingerprint sensors vs just traditional pins and what not.

It’s really tough because I want Apple to be viable, affordable, and competitive. Without Apple, there isn’t as many smartphone innovations for sure. It’s just $1000 for top of the line phone is too much because you’re saddled with 4 years of recycled design if you don’t want to pay $1000 for the X right now.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
Android is starting to look really clean nowadays. I give them that. Also this freaking annoying bar is nothing to be copied.

Everytime i see an iPhone X my OCD goes into overload with this annoying bar at the bottom. I wish this could be hidden or its transparency adjusted to basically from 0 to 100.

I would like for Apple to copy some of these ideas. The Do Not Disturb and app engagement features sound neat! I would LOVE this rotation button on iOS
The notch is what gets me all OCD about the X, and then seeing that ugly home bar, but seeing both of them combined... it just looks awful and messy compared to the cleanliness of previous iPhones. I have no idea how it doesn’t bother X owners when both are staring you in the face all the time, both as hideous as the other.

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
Let me know when Apple finally lets me set Do Not Disturb to specific days of the week for one thing. It’s so pathetic and should have been there from the start. I am amazed it has yet to be added. Such an obvious thing
If it was “such an obvious thing” Apple would’ve done it.

Reactions: siddavis

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I can imagine having a ton of fun screwing up friends phones, "Hey Google, set wind down for 1pm". They'll be wondering why the heck their phone is in greyscale all day. Ha!

Reactions: midkay