Google Shows Off Android P With New iPhone X-Style Gestures

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I know the gestures are one of those features (which WebOS intorodiced ober a decade ago)

The notch is what gets me OCD about the X, and then seeing that ugly home bar, but seeing both of them combined... it just looks awful and messy compared to the cleanliness of previous iPhones. I have no idea how it doesn’t bother X owners when both are staring you in the face all the time, both as hideous as the other.
Except that WebOS was a turd. I get it. It had cards. No one else can have cards, which make logical sense, because Palm did it and then died.

And I have no idea what you're on, but I think I might want some. Awful and messy? Not hardly son.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
Actually, Google is making it easier to enter the future using android.
Whatever way you put it, I still think Apple cannot consider me an automatic purchaser going forward because my confidence in their OS is wavering.

I just think I may just go Android One if I want to upgrade yearly or every two years because I know the hardware will be better and still be relatively affordable.

Don’t need to buy an Oppo or Huawei device to get timely updates, IP67 water resistance, minimal bezels, etc. Nor do I need some shoddy Samsung supported Galaxy device.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I can imagine having a ton of fun screwing up friends phones, "Hey Google, set wind down for 1pm". They'll be wondering why the heck their phone is in greyscale all day. Ha!
Sadly, this will not work unless your can imitate their voice.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I never use the app switcher screen on my X, and this looks like that's ALL you get besides the huge list of every app. Sounds like my worst nightmare!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I would like for Apple to copy some of these ideas. The Do Not Disturb and app engagement features sound neat! I would LOVE this rotation button on iOS
No thanks. I like my battery life, something Android will never be able to deliver.
[doublepost=1525809391][/doublepost]
I never use the app switcher screen on my X, and this looks like that's ALL you get besides the huge list of every app. Sounds like my worst nightmare!
...Then how do you access your apps?

midkay

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Ah man, some of this stuff is legit awesome. I wish we could expect some cool stuff in iOS 12, but apparently that's gonna be a pretty minor update this year. Boooooo!

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
If it was “such an obvious thing” Apple would’ve done it.
Just like I am able to move my app icons anywhere on the screen? Oh wait ...

No thanks. I like my battery life, something Android will never be able to deliver.
[doublepost=1525809391][/doublepost]

...Then how do you access your apps?
The f does that have to do anything with battery life ...? You can already set your alarm to only go off mo - fr

cmaier

macrumors Pentium
Jul 25, 2007
California
Regardless of the fact they have been ‘inspired’ by Apple, at least they’re copying something good and not implementing a pointless notch in the next pixel. The navigation is simpler and similar to iPhone which will be helpful for customers switching to either platform.
The notch isn't pointless. You can either have a forehead or you can use the space not taken up by the cameras for screen. I'd much rather have those corners be screen than have them be blacked out and useless.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Google need to slow down with the smarts so Apple can catch up if that's even possible.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Great...another generation of the Google user data vacuum cleaner with some new attachments.
President "Hoover" would be proud.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Hesitating for one plus 6... Or iphone Xs PLUS... Hmm price is the key

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Second-best (at best) copy. Probably won't even be available on 95% of the android population of phones for a decade.
Don't forget that gesture-based iOS navigation is exclusive to the iPhone X, even though there's no technical reason for not implementing this feature in at least iPhone 7 and 8 series.

The presence of the Home Button is not a reason for Apple deci$ion.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
The demo uses last year’s pixel 2, and the next pixel (which comes this year) will have a notch... if you noticed the details of the developer preview of android P, on the interface part they actually stressed that it “enhanced for displays with notch”... if you pay attention to the notification bar on the demo, the icons are already separated as two groups, one on the left, another on the right, leaving the center area blank.

The real “pointless” thing here is that they replaced the buttons with gestures, but the gesture indicator occupies the same display area. The whole point of implementing gesture based navigation is reduce and eventually remove the function area and leave the display space for the content.
I really hope this is not the case. I'm very anal when it comes to symmetry. Every phone that has a notch is instantly ruled out as my next phone. I may be able to compromise where if the phone offers an option to use software to get rid of the notch but we'll see I guess sigh

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
I can imagine having a ton of fun screwing up friends phones, "Hey Google, set wind down for 1pm". They'll be wondering why the heck their phone is in greyscale all day. Ha!
You can imagine it but I won't work like that anyway unless you can perfectly imitate your friend's voice. That means you can only trigger Google Assistant manually on his phone so you need to have the phone unlocked and in your hands.

emiaj

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2015
I really hope this is not the case. I'm very anal when it comes to symmetry. Every phone that has a notch is instantly ruled out as my next phone. I may be able to compromise where if the phone offers an option to use software to get rid of the notch but we'll see I guess sigh
It’s almost for sure that pixel 3 will have the notch. Software changes in the previews normally indicates hardware changes in the future. Good thing about it is that, as an iPhone X owner, I can tell you that the notch is not visually annoying at all. Those android phone with a notch and a chin do make less sense. After all, it’s more display area and more immersive. You would probably like this design more when you actually get your hands on a device like that.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Google need to slow down with the smarts so Apple can catch up if that's even possible.
Yeah it will be amusing to see the conversations on this forum when Apple will start to talk about AI properly.
iOS is clearly behind Android when it come to Notifications, AI(Google Assistant), Maps and Multitasking but hey at least apple fans can comfort themselves with the idea that Apple still leads the way.