Got a PS3 for xmas but want a 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MacNut, Dec 25, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So I got a PS3 for Christmas but I really would rather have a 360, as of right now is a 360 still a better system or should I stick with the PS3. I really want xbox live, don't have an HDTV and don't expect to get one anytime soon so the DVD aspect is useless to me. Based on game play and the number of games out what am I better off doing, keeping the PS3 or returning it for the 360.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How about you appreciate the generous gift that someone bought you

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Because I can save my mother a few hundred bucks.:)
    What is still considered the better system or are they both even now, game wise.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I would say they are even now but it also depends on the person, personally I don't see anything on either console but I would prefer having a PS3 because it's getting Metal Gear Solid 4 and already has great games like Ratchet & Clank and it's also getting Grand Theft Auto IV, Haze and Devil May Cry 4.

The 360 has some nice exclusives like Halo 3 (not nice for me, I think Halo 3 is an average game at best) and Bioshock (a good game, held back by the retards at 2K Games but a good game nevertheless).

What I'm trying to say is, you can't go wrong with neither one, sure there are some exclusives here and there but I would say both systems offer similar experiences right now and none really lacks worthwhile games... that being said you could always trade your PS3 and a get a 360 and a Wii, man Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games I've played this year.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I want to do a lot of online play, is xbox live that much better then what the PS3 has.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The PS3 can play Blu-Ray disks without an add on, and there is an ongoing "war" between the two formats.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

PS3's play Blu-Ray

10. v-ault macrumors regular

Is that a joke?

Heard of blu-ray? It's competing against HD DVD and it's winning so far. The ps3 does blu-ray.

11. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

No offense, but you remind me of the video on youtubr where the girl is pissed her parents got her a red sports car instead of blue. (or whatever.) If I got you the gift, I'd return it and put the 5 - 600 back in my wallet.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, but it wasn't a very good one :(

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If I opt for the 360 I would be saving my Mother money by crediting her back a few hundred bucks. I am asking based on game play and game titles available what is the better system at the moment. My initial desire was a 360 but am asking the pros and cons of each. Ideally I would love to have both.

Aside from Rachet and Clank are there any other PS3 exclusives that are worth the extra $$

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Time Crisis 4 :)

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I want to hear from someone that has both systems and get a review of both systems, good and bad and and tell what one they would rather have if they could only have one.

16. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Well aren't you a fussy one. I have both.

It's an obnoxious thing to say, but you should get an HDTV. You can get a decent, 26 inch 720p one these days for something like 400 dollars. The 360 and the PS3 are both high definition gaming systems. Playing them on a non HDTV is like buying a Porsche 911 Turbo and then using it to drive around parking lot.

I find that the gap has been narrowed over the past year between the PS3 and the 360 in terms of games. Ratchet and Clank I really enjoyed, and plan to enjoy MGS4 too, as well as wet myself when they FINALLY announce FFXIII.

The 360 is not an elegant piece of machinery. It feels very cheap when you pick it up. The PS3 is verrrry pretty, and built like a tank. Plus, type "Red Ring Of Death" into the forums searcher. I've heard of a lot more problems with the 360's hardware then I have concerning the PS3's hardware.

That said, I really do enjoy the 360's games more, as well as some of the downloadable content off XBL. Streets of Rage 2? I mean, come on! AWESOME. I'm not as huge a fan of the 360 for playing in big Halo 3 deathmatches online, because you commonly get destroyed by 12 year olds who spit out profanity every time they cut you in half with the power sword. But yeah, XBL is a great way to play against friends of yours from disparate lands.

However, XBL Gold (the version you need to play against people online - silver is free, and is used simply to download content) costs 100 dollars per year. The Playstation 3's network is free.

To be honest, I've found the graphics on the PS3 to just be better. Ratchet and Clank has some scenes that really do blow your mind, and the physics engine in it is just sick.

It is undeniable that the 360 has a wide selection of games so far, and one of my favorite games ever is Gears of War. It does make me a bit annoyed that I feel that the "exclusive" titles for the 360 that get incredible reviews (Gears/Bioshock) are just insanely, insanely violent. I'd really like to see more top notch content that's not just geared towards people with strong stomachs. With titles like Ratchet and Clank already out, and Little Big Planet on the way, I feel like PS3's quality content actually covers a wider age range.

I do like them both, and again, the games for the 360 _so far_ have been, one the whole, superior. I mean, what can you say - there are just more good games currently out for the 360 than there are for the PS3. However, after a false start, I feel like the PS3 is picking up speed, and I feel like the PS3's upcoming games are far, far more exciting than those for the 360. We'll see what 2008 brings.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Is there a big difference from xbox live to what Sony has in terms of online play or is it really not that big a deal.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Xbox live isn't free, but its MUCH better...however Sony may have some important updates up their sleeves...

19. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Both systems are incredibly good so I'd keep it if I were you. Every system has exclusives, so either way, if you have just one of the systems, you will want the other to play exclusives. Plus the ps3 has built in wireless and a built in HD player. Plus your mom already bought it. Keep it. I know it'd hurt my feelings if I bought someone a 5 - 600 dollar system and they returned it for a 400 dollar one. Your mom obviously has no money issue's unlike a large percentage of us.

20. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I personally prefer the PS3's upcoming selection of games. However, you, the thread starter, seem to have NO IDEA about games at all. Do you even know any games you want to play? That should help guide you.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The key is games.

You prefer the games on the 360 so there's one tick in your favor.

You prefer to be playing online

If most of your friends have 360's then that the only want your going to be playing them. PSN is ok, but has many missing key features and regardless of LIVE! extra $ it is unquestionably a better service than PSN.

If you get a 360, get LIVE off ebay. You can get it half price on there. ;)

As we have covered this base so many times, graphically and power wise - reality is that both machines are pretty much even and will continue to be, especially considering 85% of games are multi-platform.

So make your choice based on the exclusive game difference, and I've already covered online aspect.

There is no right or wrong. It's YOUR preference and YOUR choice. If you prefer a 360, then thats OK, and anyone telling you your wrong is biased and trying to force their own position rather than respecting your own. So make your own choice and stick with it :)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Take it back and get a PS3 a few years down the line :) give your mum the cost difference and all's well.

The PS3 has got a few fan favourite games at the moment, whereas the 360 has a slew of extremely high rated games in more genres with more online features.

23. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Oh geez another one of these threads. :eek:

I cannot recommend enough that you keep the PS3. We have both and the PS3 has many more things I like over the 360:
    + Bluray
    + FREE online play, not $100/year/account on xbox LIVE
    + WiFi, seriously (I think one of the 47502 xbox models has this by now)
    + Built in PSU so you don't have to cart a brick around
    + You can re-order the controllers by pressing the PS button. On the 360 you need to turn them all off then turn them back on in the new order.
    + Looks. Although both consoles are somewhat ugly, the PS3 has shiny polycarbonate which looks better than beige plastic. :p
    + 4 front USB ports
    + Lower failure rate due to overheating or generalised dead-console syndrome (don't know the exact percentages, most are made up anyway).

Just IMO of course.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a $100 for Xbox Live?

25. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

$87US then. I don't know what it costs in other countries.