Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ah right so it's not $100. Anything else you'd like to correct in your "advice" post?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Um, you're doubling the price. I pay $50 a year for XBL, not $100 or even $87.

That said, I own both a PS3 and a 360. Were I in your position, I would return the PS3 and get the 360 because the 360 has a. a lot more games, and b. more highly rated ones. Sure, the PS3 finally has a few nice games, but the 360's still stomps it by far in quantity, while not losing quality.

I'd only really go for a PS3 if you wanted Blu-ray and a few good games right now.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
But the people recommending that he switch to the 360 seem to be doing so based on a comparison that ignores the fact that he'll be returning a generous Christmas present. Come on! Stop being a whiny brat and just be happy with the generous gift you got.
rolleyes.gif

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
...just be happy with the generous gift you got.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though - that's good advice too. Your mom would really like the idea that she got you the right gift, and I doubt, if she bought you a PS3 in the first place when she was not entirely sure that you would like it (obviously), the purchase hardly broke the bank. I know that someone returning a present I got them while saying, "I don't like it, but as compensation, here's some money!" kind of isn't in the spirit of Christmas.

PS3's a good system, and a very generous gift. You'll be happy with it later this year when you're playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA 4.

I think what separates this thread from the other "360 vs. PS3" posts is that it's not really a question of 360 vs. PS3. It's a question of returning a PS3 _gift_ to get a 360. They're both fine, so try to be happy with what you have - as an owner of both, I'm telling you that it really is possible.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
I think what separates this thread from the other "360 vs. PS3" posts is that it's not really a question of 360 vs. PS3. It's a question of returning a PS3 _gift_ to get a 360.

Yes, if this was just an "i bought a PS3 i want a 360" thread, then it would be much easier. The gift-aspect is something i think only the OP can answer: will your mother be offended/upset/aware if you swap the console? That's the question, because you clearly want the 360.

(Disclaimer: The PS3 isn't half-good though ;))

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i have both, and i like them both. to me, the only thing the xbox has that the ps3 doesn't is the gamerscore. other than that, i really like the ps3 better.

but that's me. do whatever you want with yours. if i were you, i'd keep the ps3

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
... the only thing the xbox has that the ps3 doesn't is the gamerscore.

This is arguably true. And all of the top "scoring" exclusive titles for 360 are first-person shooters. Btw, video game companies are very, very aware these days that gamers play close attention to Metacritic, and push sites hard to make sure their games get assigned the highest score possible. I bought Bioshock expecting it to be the most incredible game ever, and indeed it was quite good, but many of the gameplay aspects weren't thought out well, at all (that whole plasmids thing, for example - by the end, you weren't using them at all except to hack cameras, and were just leaning heavily on conventional weaponry - whether this was an aspect of the plot was debatable, as the developers obviously spent a ton of time on a system that turned out to not be particularly useful by the end), leading me to think, "And this is the 'perfect game'" how?

So yeah, don't necessarily think a system is better because of higher "rated" games. Both systems have good exclusive and cross platforms titles. Also, you'll notice how there's a lot more talk about upcoming PS3 games on this board currently than there is of upcoming 360 games - that's because 2008 looks to be a more exciting year for the PS3. So yeah... I say hold on to it.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I just got a PS3 and I like it a lot better than a 360. It actually is cheaper than the 360 if you use Wi-Fi, because the 360 requires a $100 wifi adapter and $50 per year internet. I think you should get some games or download demoes of some exclusives. Try Warhawk and Uncharted. IMO The best good games for 360 are mostly cross-console except for some like Halo so you can still play some great games like Orange Box along with the PS3 exclusives like Warhawk, Uncharted, Killzone, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Gran Turismo. But overall you should just go look at the games, figure out which console has more you want, and what good ones are coming out, and then decide based on that.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I would suggest keeping the PS3...there are alot of games out now that are great(multiplat & exclusive)

Online is not as complete as live but it gets the job done LAG free no problems.

If you want the 360 then turn over the PS3 and get one....theres not that much of a price difference so don't expect a big turnover.

Have fun with the system of your choice.

Bless

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I'd just like to throw out there that I know my parents, when it comes to video games, buy me a game and then tell me to go out and get what I want. They are well aware that they don't know what video games I want, and more or less assume that I'll be exchanging it. I don't know where you're all getting that his mom is going to be offended or will feel better if he keeps the system. First off, you don't know his mother. Let him worry about that. Maybe she would prefer him to get the system that he actually wants.

As far as gaming goes, I honestly can't see how anyone can recommend a PS3 for you. You don't care about Blu-Ray (although I will say, an HD TV does make both systems look awesome), you want the best online service (Xbox Live is far better than PSN, if you don't mind paying $50 a year), and Xbox has the far better game lineup at the moment. I will say though, if you're planning on utilizing wireless, the PS3 has that built in while it costs $100 with the 360, so be prepared for that expense.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I'd just like to throw out there that I know my parents, when it comes to video games, buy me a game and then tell me to go out and get what I want. They are well aware that they don't know what video games I want, and more or less assume that I'll be exchanging it. I don't know where you're all getting that his mom is going to be offended or will feel better if he keeps the system. First off, you don't know his mother. Let him worry about that. Maybe she would prefer him to get the system that he actually wants.

As far as gaming goes, I honestly can't see how anyone can recommend a PS3 for you. You don't care about Blu-Ray (although I will say, an HD TV does make both systems look awesome), you want the best online service (Xbox Live is far better than PSN, if you don't mind paying $50 a year), and Xbox has the far better game lineup at the moment. I will say though, if you're planning on utilizing wireless, the PS3 has that built in while it costs $100 with the 360, so be prepared for that expense.

Who are you to say the 360 has a better lineup? Sure that would have been a mostly accurate statement some months ago but right now they mostly have the same games and some have some great exclusives, it really comes down to taste as far as games goes, the 360 has exclusives like Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Bioshock (and Bioshock can be played on any non-GMA950 Intel Mac just fine) but the PS3 has games like Ratchet, Uncharted, Unreal Tournament III and other games like Call of Duty 4 (which is definitely one of the best games of the year) are multi-platform anyways.

However the best online experience can be found on the 360, LIVE is a pretty darn good system and $50 a year is EXTREMELY low, if you have the luxury of buying a console and games, not being able to afford $4.16 a month would be ridiculous.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Who are you to say the 360 has a better lineup? Sure that would have been a mostly accurate statement some months ago but right now they mostly have the same games and some have some great exclusives, it really comes down to taste as far as games goes, the 360 has exclusives like Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Bioshock (and Bioshock can be played on any non-GMA950 Intel Mac just fine) but the PS3 has games like Ratchet, Uncharted, Unreal Tournament III and other games like Call of Duty 4 (which is definitely one of the best games of the year) are multi-platform anyways.

However the best online experience can be found on the 360, LIVE is a pretty darn good system and $50 a year is EXTREMELY low, if you have the luxury of buying a console and games, not being able to afford $4.16 a month would be ridiculous.

Well, most evidence would say that the Xbox has better games. Take metacritics' rankings of 89 for Uncharted, 87 for Unreal, and 89 for Ratchet, and compare it to 91 for Mass Effect, 94 for Halo 3, and 96 for Bioshock, that would allude to the fact that the Xbox's exclusives are better than PS3. Does it really come down to taste and should be considered opinion? Yes. But by that logic Biodome should be considered to be as good a movie as The Godfather. Let me rephrase my statement. Most people and review sites consider Xbox 360's gaming lineup to be superior to PS3's, though your opinion may vary. Are you happy now?

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Well, most evidence would say that the Xbox has better games. Take metacritics' rankings of 89 for Uncharted, 87 for Unreal, and 89 for Ratchet, and compare it to 91 for Mass Effect, 94 for Halo 3, and 96 for Bioshock, that would allude to the fact that the Xbox's exclusives are better than PS3.

Just as I said before - companies like Microsoft are EXTREMELY well aware that people pay close attention to Metacritic, and game review sites as well, and can lean on these sites (monetarily) to make sure that a game gets a perfect 10/100, instead of, say, a 9.2/92 (etc), as would be indicated by actually reading the review thoroughly.

So yeah - numbers don't mean squat. Or okay - numbers are good for a ballpark, but at a certain point, you have to have a mind of your own.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Its your call...look at the current and upcoming games...which do you like more?

Get that system?

Or keep the PS3, and buy a 360 soon(since the 360 is cheaper, makes sense to have someone buy it for you)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Essentially, the PS3's hardware is better engineered, better assembled, and just plain prettier. Where the 360 has the edge is in the sheer amount of quality games, and in the online system (even if you have to pay for it and a ****ing wireless adapter - EVEN MY DS HAS WIRELESS INCLUDED, MICROSOFT).

I have all three next-gen systems, and each has its pluses and minuses. I find the PS3 a much more pleasurable piece of hardware (especially for DVDs, Blu-rays, etc) but if you're looking for sheer variety of software, the 360s your console. Not to mention that the 360 controller blows the SIXAXIS out of the water.

The PS3's got a lot of future potential, but at the moment (in the US) the 360 owns it in software sales, which is going to translate to a lot more domestic software support for the console, while the PS3 is going to see much more international (read: Japanese) support. So the libraries may well turn out to be very distinct.

I'm rambling, sorry. My overall suggestion would be, if you manage to get an HDTV, to keep the PS3. It's a very nice piece of hardware and should be well worth it down the line. For instant gratification, the 360 may be a better choice.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Why do you "want" a 360 over a Ps3?

If there are exclusive games on the 360 that aren't on the Ps3 then I understand that and I would say (with your mom's OK) to sell or trade in the Ps3 for a 360.

If you're not looking for exclusives (Halo 3, Crackdown, Bioshock, Forza 2, PGR4 etc) and the games you want are multiplatform (ie available on both) then keep the Ps3.

Most gamers will end up with both systems anyway by the time the dust clears (I know I will end up with all 3, actually, which many others here are in the same boat). Both are great systems with great games to choose from.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Although I relaly don't like these threads, I will respond.

You clearly want to play online games, therefore get the 360. The 360's online program is much much better, and the games you can play online are far superior. Obviously you need to look and see what games are coming out (or are out) that you like and choose the system that way.

As for the people complaining about him not enjoying a gift, why do you think his mom would want him to have something he never wanted? I know personally, my mom would want me to return a gift and get something I will actually enjoy, thus making her money well spent. His mother will be happy when he is happy, this is how mothers are.

I would suggest searching next time though

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
How are you saving a few hundred dollars?

Which PS3 did you get?

If you got the more expensive one, you can exchange it for the cheaper on and save $100. I just got the 40Gig and it's great!

The price difference between the 40Gig PS3 and the XBox 360 Premium is only $50. Unless you are going to return the PS3 games too and get a few budget XB360 games.

Both are great systems. Pick a system, some games, and enjoy...

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If its money you are looking to save I wouldn't really bother. The base 360, while a decent machine, really suffers from the lack of a hard disk. All the other choices a comparable (maybe not where you are). Other than that it really is a personal choice based on the games available and other uses (blu-ray/HD-DVD/media streaming/Live).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
So I got a PS3 for Christmas but I really would rather have a 360, as of right now is a 360 still a better system or should I stick with the PS3. I really want xbox live, don't have an HDTV and don't expect to get one anytime soon so the DVD aspect is useless to me. Based on game play and the number of games out what am I better off doing, keeping the PS3 or returning it for the 360.

They're pretty close; if you want WiFi, the PS3 is actually cheaper (WiFi is $100 addon on the 360 and is built in on the PS3).

The PS3 has the better hardware for the money at this point, with Blu-ray and WiFi. You also don't have to pay for online play.

I guess it depends on the kind of games you like. You won't find Ratchet and Clank, Resistance: Fall of Man, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, or any Final Fantasy games on the 360.

The 360 is not considered the "better" system at this point. It current has more games, but is costlier depending on what addons you get; there is no better system.

Unless there is some 360 exclusive that you simply MUST have, I'd just appreciate the gift :) You should also consider how your mom will feel if you return the gift she bought you. It's kind of rude...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The price difference between the 40Gig PS3 and the XBox 360 Premium is only $50. Unless you are going to return the PS3 games too and get a few budget XB360 games.

Actually, when you factor in XBox Live (verses PSN which is free) there is no price difference. They cost the same amount, except the PS3 also has WiFi.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Because I can save my mother a few hundred bucks.:)
What is still considered the better system or are they both even now, game wise.

How would you save that much money? The 360 is just as expensive, if not more, depending on model and what accessories/features you plan on buying.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Just as I said before - companies like Microsoft are EXTREMELY well aware that people pay close attention to Metacritic, and game review sites as well, and can lean on these sites (monetarily) to make sure that a game gets a perfect 10/100, instead of, say, a 9.2/92 (etc), as would be indicated by actually reading the review thoroughly.

So yeah - numbers don't mean squat. Or okay - numbers are good for a ballpark, but at a certain point, you have to have a mind of your own.

GameSpot Editor Fired Over Low Review Score
Eidos is/was heavily hooked into Gamespot advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.