Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It seems like the Space Grey doesn't deal with scratches and dents too well. Makes me think of the iPhone 5 when it came out.

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
The right hand top corner of my 2016 15" tMBP came with a tiny dent in the lip. Mine is a BTO and was bought in the USA, so returning it really isn't an option for me. It's a tiny blemish, but it doesn't make me at all happy. Sad that the QC at Apple is going downhill so badly, of late.

TeaOem

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
The right hand top corner of my 2016 15" tMBP came with a tiny dent in the lip. Mine is a BTO and was bought in the USA, so returning it really isn't an option for me. It's a tiny blemish, but it doesn't make me at all happy. Sad that the QC at Apple is going downhill so badly, of late.

Yeah, mine has also a dent on the left hand side of the lid just above the 2nd USB-C plug-in. I have also a 2016 15" MBP BTO.

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

Why can't you return it? Thought Apple Care would cover you world wide?

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Why can't you return it? Thought Apple Care would cover you world wide?

I'm in India, we don't get BTO systems here. Technically, I could return it, but it would be a pain getting it back to the US and then getting it back here again. Plus I'd be left without a system in the meanwhile, so...I'm just pretending it adds character! :-s

RandomRazer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Because I have a Speck case for my previous gen MBP, I wondered if they had one for the tbMBP, but nope. Not until today. So I pulled the trigger on this instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8O9OSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the Speck one looks pretty disgusting anyways.

Returned through mail, since the store couldn't do the return for a replacement in store. Still waiting to get the refund. Think I'll just go with base + 460. Debating if I should do 512GB, but I don't use much space to begin with.

Got mine delivered today and scratched on both sides.

View attachment 687668 View attachment 687669

This is still happening?! :eek:

What's your manufacture date (if you don't know, the fourth and fifth letters of your serial number will tell me what it is :) ).

T5

Was a BTO so I assume recent?

I had to return my first MacBook due to a blemish below the right speaker grill. The second MacBook had no scratches but had a metal deformity above the right speaker grill. Returned that and now with my third replacement it is perfect.

2.9/1TB/460

And nicks on the edges? You can feel them with your finger.

No nicks, I literally inspected the unit at the Apple Store for like 5mins.

It seems like the Space Grey doesn't deal with scratches and dents too well. Makes me think of the iPhone 5 when it came out.

Yeah, mine has also a dent on the left hand side of the lid just above the 2nd USB-C plug-in. I have also a 2016 15" MBP BTO.

okay boys, 4th, thats right i decided to go for a 4th replacement!!!!

no nicks....no scratch under the speaker grilles.....BUT THERES ONE ON THE front side!!!!!!!! WHYYYYY WHYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYY

first couple times was bad enough, but really? this is ridiculous. in canada this thing was over 3 grand :/

not only that....but the space grey color is a completely different shade of color (new one on right, current one on left)

its like a duller version of space grey where my current one was a more vibrant colorful space grey is best i can describe. not sure if that is defect or factory running low on spacey grey anodized paint? lol

pics attached.

im not sure if i should push for a 5th replacement, or just stick with the current one or 4th one.

if i had to keep one, im leaning towards the current one i have as the space grey looks much nicer, except the 2 nicks on the hinge and 1 on the keyboard edge.

the replacement has zero nicks, just the one ....iil just call it an imperfection. as well as the duller space grey look.

what would you guys do?

IMG_0759.JPG.jpg
IMG_0738.JPG.jpg

TeaOem

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
okay boys, 4th, thats right i decided to go for a 4th replacement!!!!

no nicks....no scratch under the speaker grilles.....BUT THERES ONE ON THE front side!!!!!!!! WHYYYYY WHYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYY

first couple times was bad enough, but really? this is ridiculous. in canada this thing was over 3 grand :/

not only that....but the space grey color is a completely different shade of color (new one on right, current one on left)

its like a duller version of space grey where my current one was a more vibrant colorful space grey is best i can describe. not sure if that is defect or factory running low on spacey grey anodized paint? lol

pics attached.

im not sure if i should push for a 5th replacement, or just stick with the current one or 4th one.

if i had to keep one, im leaning towards the current one i have as the space grey looks much nicer, except the 2 nicks on the hinge and 1 on the keyboard edge.

the replacement has zero nicks, just the one ....iil just call it an imperfection. as well as the duller space grey look.

what would you guys do?

View attachment 688919 View attachment 688921

To me it looks like the right one is silver inside the MacBook and outside Space Grey they did a mistake!
[doublepost=1487716611][/doublepost]I have the silver version and it just looks like your right one!

Leethellama

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2017
Hey guys! Just got this brand new yesterday and it had a scratch under bother speakers. You have got to be kidding me. I alredy had to return one because the left side of the screen had a very soft red tint and the right side had a very soft green tint!

I mean wtf Apple, never have I experienced this with an Apple product.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 506

Sabre52

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Received a fully loaded MBP 15" that cost $5300 CDN yesterday with the exact same scratches. Also received LG Ultrafine Monitor with a 612 Serial Number which means the Shielding repair was not done. One would question Apple's commitment to continuous quality improvement and quality control.

Reactions: ChrisKra

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Received a fully loaded MBP 15" that cost $5300 CDN yesterday with the exact same scratches. Also received LG Ultrafine Monitor with a 612 Serial Number which means the Shielding repair was not done. One would question Apple's commitment to continuous quality improvement and quality control.

Build date? This seems to have become less common over time.

Sabre52

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Build date? This seems to have become less common over time.
[doublepost=1489600074][/doublepost]Built yo order completed on 03/07/2017.
[doublepost=1489600112][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1489600165][/doublepost]Sorry fat thumbs... built to order 03/07/2017.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
[doublepost=1489600112][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1489600165][/doublepost]Sorry fat thumbs... built to order 03/07/2017.

Makes one wonder if they have some still in a warehouse. Bummer, in any case. Will you return them, then?

Sabre52

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
Makes one wonder if they have some still in a warehouse. Bummer, in any case. Will you return them, then?
[doublepost=1489603250][/doublepost]Yes, I will return and will not likely reorder until I know the issues have been dealt with.

Beyond the anonized finish defects when I opened the MBP there were fine particles of what looked like glass or metal on the surface of the speakers & around the hinge area. They wiped off but still not something one would not expect on an Apple product.

As the Apple Store updates & UPS tracking shows the product was built to order in China I would say this is a continuing problem.

A few years ago Jobs would have demanded that Cook get this ongoing quality issue fixed. There is no way he wouldn't have had a melt down reading about consumers buying 3 - 5 MBP's before getting one without cosmetic defects.

Discouraging for a long time Apple fan.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
You can send Cook an email about it, and some Apple rep will probably contact you. Address is online.

Sabre52

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
You can send Cook an email about it, and some Apple rep will probably contact you. Address is online.
[doublepost=1489609160][/doublepost]Companies like Apple, Dell, Facebook, Google, & Microsoft all have assigned staff watching boards like this.

Tim can't reply to every issue but a company seeing repeated posts showing the exact same quality failures without fixing the problem needs to rethink priorities. Quality, productivity & Safety are not grass root movements they need to come from the top.

I will return the product. Something which I have never previously done in the 35 years I have been a loyal Apple customer.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Hey guys! Just got this brand new yesterday and it had a scratch under bother speakers. You have got to be kidding me. I alredy had to return one because the left side of the screen had a very soft red tint and the right side had a very soft green tint!

I mean wtf Apple, never have I experienced this with an Apple product.

And how is tint on the new machine?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Also received LG Ultrafine Monitor with a 612 Serial Number which means the Shielding repair was not done.
No it doesn't, iirc they retrofitted all the existing inventory with the new shields (hence the sudden jump in delivery times a few weeks ago while they recalled them and fitted the shields).

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
I just got my MacBook space gray today but as I checked I have also scratch under the right speaker. I used palstx to remove that but I made it worse:( Do you think will apple replace?I took a video when unboxing and see the scratch there

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I just got my MacBook space gray today but as I checked I have also scratch under the right speaker. I used palstx to remove that but I made it worse:( Do you think will apple replace?I took a video when unboxing and see the scratch there
If you got it from Apple, you have 14 days to return it for any reason you please.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
yes from apple and waited 2 weeks pff I am really pissed .I shouldnt have used anything
Take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll let you do an exchange. You can explain that you tried to fix it yourself, and that it didn't work. Take the video with you.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
Take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll let you do an exchange. You can explain that you tried to fix it yourself, and that it didn't work. Take the video with you.
i just got the macbook today so i am still in 14 days period, should i still have to take it apple store?Or just send it back

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
i just got the macbook today so i am still in 14 days period, should i still have to take it apple store?Or just send it back
Sorry, I misunderstood. You can either send it back or take it to the Apple Store, whichever is more convenient for you.

Reactions: nameste
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.