Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Done a long time ago, and attempted a reversal nine years later. Reversal was not successful, but was so much more painful than the actual snip.

It *used* to be reversible up to ten years but it depended on how it was done originally.

And no, they don't 'tie' the vas, they usually fold the ends back and sew them up so that they heal closed.

The snip doesn't really hurt though, I was back at work the same day.

Good for you for taking responsibility though. It's a nothing procedure for a guy, but is a serious procedure for a woman.

Cheers.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thank god I am a girl. I actually have no idea why I even came into this thread and now I'm leaving............

lol you haven't had a kid yet have you ?

i watched my wife labour our 2 kids...both times without drugs or epideral and lemme tell you....the snippity snip ain't nothing compared to what you ladies do.

nothing.

:)

i still remember the elastic sssssnnnnnappp! as the doc did the deed. oh and the smell of burning flesh, although that only lasted a second.

For a few months after, I'd get phantom kicks in the nuts every so often. My wife thought I was faking for sympathy, but I wasn't.

good to go now though. :)

cheers,
keebler

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Prof. said:
Guess I need to review anatomy - but I thought tube-tying was the female procedure...
They cut the tubes in a male and tie the tubes in a female.;)

not what I was told. They tie the tubes together.
By the way it's getting a bit sore now. Some lovely bruising!!!!
And no one say " pics or it didn't happen"

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Do they at least give you a local anesthetic?

They call it "local", but let me tell you, when they start cutting and you feel it, that anesthetic feels long distance...

My procedure was so painful in so many ways, I never did the "jack in a jar" routine to verify it. Been 9 years with fertile Myrtle and she ain't pregnant yet... I figure if any of them little beggars can find their way through the maze down there, they deserve to be heard from. Ain't gonna happen.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
I've always wondered how stuff works afterwards. What happens when you -ahem- 'finish'?

the exact same as before:D only differance is their is no sperm in the Semen.
so no little tadpoles to swim up and make a baby;)

the bit of the body thats make the sperm(balls) is no longer attached to the tubes that the semen runs through!!!!!!!!
so basically there's no longer any need to have any balls:D:D:D:D:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
the exact same as before:D only differance is their is no sperm in the Semen.
so no little tadpoles to swim up and make a baby;)

Then why are people talking about the possibility of getting the wife/gf preggers? The route was destroyed for them. They must be quite persistent if they can get through a tunnel that isn't there for them. :confused:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Then why are people talking about the possibility of getting the wife/gf preggers? The route was destroyed for them. They must be quite persistent if they can get through a tunnel that isn't there for them. :confused:

Because there will be some (millions) of sperm 'up stream' of the cut. Until these are expelled there is still, an ever decreasing, chance of conception.

Once the 'up stream' sperm have been expelled there's only semen being expelled, the body's still producing sperm, but they're simply re-absorbed.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Because there will be some (millions) of sperm 'up stream' of the cut. Until these are expelled there is still, an ever decreasing, chance of conception.

Once the 'up stream' sperm have been expelled there's only semen being expelled, the body's still producing sperm, but they're simply re-absorbed.

Kinda brings a tear to the eye don't it. All those little fellers, just reabsorbing. Would that be "self-absorbed" to contemplate?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
from Wiki said:
A "normal" vasectomy typically seals both ends of the vas deferens with stitches, heat, metal clamps or a combination, after cutting. The open-ended vasectomy obstructs only the top end of the vas deferens. With this method sperm leaks out from the lower severed end of the vas deferens and into the scrotum, thus hopefully avoiding a build-up of pressure in the epididymis.
So with the normal method you'd have blue balls with no way of relieving it? And with the other way, hopefully not. :eek:

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
bugger, I thought this was an "i got fired" thread.

urgh

I thought it was going to be a circumcision thread!

Anyway, redgaz26, how are you doing? Any post vasectomy pain? That's a fear of mine should I ever decide to go through the same procedure.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I thought it was going to be a circumcision thread!

That's actually exactly what I thought at first too... but I would've expected a poll of some kind to go along with it. :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this lead to the infamous "blue balls" syndrome? EDIT: I see MrSmith has already addressed this...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I don't ride horses
Reading this, and thinking about my horse riding days (bareback, and English/Western style saddles) makes me cringe.

Could be worse. Two days after my brother got snipped (two kids was enough) his four year old gave him a nice swift kick to the 'ole bean bag.

Swelled up to the size of oranges they did.:eek:
Ouch!

Having the snip is the one and only time men should talk to other men about their nuts/ball/bollocks (take your pick on your favourite name for them)
:)

My genitals are shrinking rapidly...
Mine are gone. :eek:

And no one say " pics or it didn't happen"
Well, that's true. :p

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Having twins unexpectedly after 9 years since our last child, the "snip" is starting to be discussed more frequently.

Havings twins happened to coincide with getting a "dream" job and having to move cross-country again so everything is stressful chaos for months to come, but I immensely enjoy having a son after 12 years of all-girls.

Lets just say Christmas is going to a lot more fun for me going forward since I can justify playing with the boy's presents (LEGOs, cars/trucks, transformers et al).

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I had this done many years ago. When it was getting done, I looked down there while it was being done. It looked like he was sawing a log or something. It was very unnerving. However, the next day I was up and about, with almost no problem. I learned that frozen peas are your friend, in situations like this.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
Could be worse. Two days after my brother got snipped (two kids was enough) his four year old gave him a nice swift kick to the 'ole bean bag.

Swelled up to the size of oranges they did.:eek:

LOL! :) My brother caught a baseball bat from his daughter a couple days after he had it done. Grapefruit on one side, baby :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.