Carrier Grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data Plans...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zuckuss00, Sep 9, 2014.

1. zuckuss00 macrumors member

Does anyone know yet if AT&T is going to allow those of us that are still on the old $30 grandfathered unlimited data plans to keep it like they did with the iPhone 5? Or did they already do way with the plan with the previous iPhone 5s contracts?

Thanks

2. phreebsd macrumors regular

they still have it. i have it. i spoke to an AT&T rep today because my contract end date is 9/14 and she refused to bump it up two days.
    she did seems to indicate she could bump if i changed to next or the family share plan. i said no thanks. 2 of my lines are on the grandfather unlimited plan.

3. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I was able to keep mine through the 5S upgrade. I just did a test run and I can also keep it through this years upgrade using Next.

Just be careful at the summary page that you see it listed under the data plan!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im pretty sure us grandfathered will still keep it.
    If not they will lose lots of customers.

5. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

My upgrade date was showing as the 14th as well. I got the iPhone 5 on launch day. I spoke with an AT&T rep about getting it bumped up 2 days and she told me that my line was already showing eligible for the subsidized pricing. I went on Apple's website to check and it was showing eligible for the subsidized pricing. You should check yours too.

6. StoutFiles macrumors member

7. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Wow... It's happening with AT&T now.

Should have seen it coming. When one of the 2 major carriers makes a change like this, it's not a question of if the other carrier will follow suite, but when.

Now... Start looking for those loopholes!!

Edit: I should also add that I didn't realize at first that you spoke with an Apple representative, and not an AT&T representative. Customer Service agents are wrong all the time, and Apple has even less information I'm sure about AT&T. She could have easily been getting confused with Verizon's policies. Not sure, we will have to wait and see.

8. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

That seems false considering I just had a upgrade in my cart with the unlimited plan still there.

You should have asked if this is just for the new iphone and when it starts...

9. leitmotif macrumors regular

Damn. I've had AT&T since it was Cingular! I've been a loyal customer for years and if I upgrade (at full price since I'm not eligible for another year) and they do away with my unlimited data, I will be pissed. Maybe I'll switch to Verizon! Do they have the ability to use data while on a call now?

10. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

I called twice att and they said I'd be grand fathered in. It will show one the preorders go live. Hoping that is true.

11. StoutFiles macrumors member

I hope you're right. I'm going to head to the store tomorrow to talk to them about it.

12. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I'm thinking the Apple Advisor messed up. No way to be sure at this point.

13. mhdena macrumors 6502

Relax, you can still keep it.

Screw the chat, call in and get a Super or Retention.

If you're a good long time customer in good standing magic happens.

14. StoutFiles macrumors member

I didn't see it in my cart, and I'm both due for an upgrade and on unlimited since the 3G days...

I'll start up another Apple chat and see what they say.

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I'm not on AT&T, but I'm on an unlimited Verizon plan. Can't you just buy it off-contract at full price on the AT&T store and keep your plan? It's steep but you won't lose it that way (I got my 5s that way).

16. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Just called again and got the same answer. That better be true.

StoutFiles....please post back when you find something out?
    Thank you

17. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

That was on ATT on Apple it shows in the cart as well.

It will say your voice plan and data plan.

18. StoutFiles macrumors member

Yes, but since the 2 years is up I believe they could end the contract whenever they wanted.

If I resigned a 2 year contract they could do the same, but at least I got my phone subsidized, and then I could go somewhere else at no cost.

19. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

If this is true I will be leaving AT&T for either T-mobile or Sprint and have them cover my ETF.

20. StoutFiles macrumors member

False alarm perhaps.

[​IMG]

At any rate, will be going to AT&T tomorrow. I would really like a subsidized phone and getting my contract unlimited data renewed.

21. HerrFaust macrumors newbie

Happy to report ATT will not be forcing customers off grandfathered plans. Source: A family friend who has been working for Att for years.

22. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Mind me asking how did you get it to show on your cart on the apple site? Thanks.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would you call the phone manufacturer with a question about your wireless carriers service?
    That apple chat rep you spoke to is wrong or confusing it with Verizons policy.
    Apple has no say what goes on with carriers service plans.
    They just sell the phone.

24. StoutFiles macrumors member

Hmm

Apple has all the possible plans listed on their website. They made me confirm my wireless account to see if I was due for an upgrade; I thought it might possibly register my data plan and make that an option on the site for me.

At any rate, the first employee worried me because if AT&T were to cut unlimited plans, they might get Apple a heads up as people would be complaining to them about it when the option wasn't there when they're preordering.

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If AT&T gets rid of it. I'm switching to T-Mobile. They have better service in my area then AT&T but the only downside is that I'll pay 30 bucks more per month for 3 lines... but I'll have unlimited everything on all 3 lines vs just 1.