Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibjer

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
I'm waiting patently, but I'm currently running a first gen MBP (1.8)

However the power unit is on the fritz, will not boot up with the battery installed. I've tried resetting the PMU as well as the PRAM to no avail.

Want to know when the MagSafe is really annoying ??? haha, wife site next to me on the couch on the cord and zap, I'm done.

Here's to hoping for an Oct release so I can turn this one into a nice little media server and not buy a Apple TV

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Waiting really sucks, but the reason i am waiting is because i am hoping they come out with some really nice stuff. -- a newer and better macbook would be great - and if they just had the aluminum casing like the MBP (i'm guessing they will add this on as they have been swaying towards this considering the Air and the MBP) it would eliminate the fact that many people diss it by calling it a "crackbook" and aluminum would help it run slightly cooler by absorbing and dissipating heat. :apple:

Some of the things i would like to see in a new MB:

1. Aluminum casing AND Backlit Keyboard similar to the MBA - but this is assuming that the keys are the SAME color as the casing -- cuz the MBA looks ugly cuz of discolored keys... =(
2. 7200 RPM Drive Option for 200/250GB [many base laptops have this]
3. Intel's NEW 180GB Solid State Disk!!! [this was released for Intel at the same price of a 32 GB SSD -- about $450]
4. Faster Processor --> atleast 2.8 Ghz Core2Duo - MAYBE an option for a Mobile Quadcore processor(not likely at all)
5. Better Graphics -- atleast Intel GMA X4500 - which actually benches close to the Ge Force 8400 -- but i prefer to have a dedicated card - cuz i play CASUAL games -- if not then atleast put a Mobile ATI card or something.
6. Up to 6GB of RAM -- atleast -- i need more than 4 GB Because i use REALLY ram intensive apps in Vista (but not graphics intensive - cuz then i would buy a MBP)
7. Support for 64 Bit versions of Vista (with drivers on the OS X DVD that you get!)
8. Price Cuts!!!! - BIG Price Cuts!!!!
9. 802.16 Wireless Infrastructure - a friend of mine is developing this and its not for the public - but compared to wireless N - you get about 12 times the Range and 4 times the speed of N - which is 20 Times the speed of g (N is 5x G) :D

so here's to Apple :apple: and PLEASE steve Jobs - we LOVE your ideas, but listen to us and make a better Macbook!!!!! :cool:

if all this came out for the MB then i would buy it because it would be the laptop of my dreams :)

it's time to wake up in your dreams coz it's not going to happen.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
it's time to wake up in your dreams coz it's not going to happen.

Well... atleast tell me this, How likely is it that:

:apple: they will add black aluminum (anodized)

:apple:and a backlit keyboard

:apple:and support for Vista 64 Bit (cuz the mbps' already have them!)

Thanks!!

sorry - i just woke up and realized that my demands were outrageous.

but can you give me some advice on those 3 things??

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Is there any way people in the US can get the UK bts promotion? Hahah it's unfair you guys get the new ipods and we don't?!?! HEY! :p

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Waiting

I am waiting. The new MacBooks will be a lot better than the current ones. LED screen, glass trackpad, multi-touch, Montevina (hopefully), better graphics card... what more can we ask for? The current ones are okay, but seems to be a little overpriced for what's packed inside it. New ones suppose to be $999, and I hope that's true.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I am waiting. The new MacBooks will be a lot better than the current ones. LED screen, glass trackpad, multi-touch, Montevina (hopefully), better graphics card... what more can we ask for? The current ones are okay, but seems to be a little overpriced for what's packed inside it. New ones suppose to be $999, and I hope that's true.

Keep thinking that. LOL. Ridiculous.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I'd heard that Macbook screens were generally excellent, at least compared to most PC laptops on the market... is that not true, or not universally true?

In my opinion the screen on the MacBook looks nicer than my current Thinkpad T61 as well as the many HP's we have around the office.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Keep thinking that. LOL. Ridiculous.

I honestly have to agree. People got so worked up over the MacBooks, every new feature they want is automatically in them. The source's release date that stated those facts doesn't match up with the others, and on top of that, Apple hasn't said anything about a new MacBook, let alone it's features. Right now it's just a game of "I want x so it will be in the new MacBooks!"

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I honestly have to agree. People got so worked up over the MacBooks, every new feature they want is automatically in them. The source's release date that stated those facts doesn't match up with the others, and on top of that, Apple hasn't said anything about a new MacBook, let alone it's features. Right now it's just a game of "I want x so it will be in the new MacBooks!"

I think the MBP will get a overhaul, but the MB maybe a speed jump....not sure if it will get a new design.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I doubt we will see anything new from Apple until Macworld 09. It seems like the Macs are becoming less and less of a focus for them. Macworld 09 is their big event for Macs so it would be logical to wait until then, especially if it is a major redesign.

Might see a price drop to bring the low end MB below $1000.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Is there any way people in the US can get the UK bts promotion? Hahah it's unfair you guys get the new ipods and we don't?!?! HEY! :p

You can't get the new iPods with the Back to School promo.

The fine print: * Buy a qualifying Mac and iPod with your Apple education discount from June 3, 2008, through September 15, 2008, while supplies last, and be eligible for a rebate (view Terms and Conditions for exact rebate amount). iPod models introduced on September 9, 2008 are not eligible for this promotion.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I doubt we will see anything new from Apple until Macworld 09. It seems like the Macs are becoming less and less of a focus for them. Macworld 09 is their big event for Macs so it would be logical to wait until then, especially if it is a major redesign.

Might see a price drop to bring the low end MB below $1000.

I am starting to feel the same way they need something big for Jan. and a redesign would be it :)

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
you get unlocked iPhones so its fair:)

I'm a firm believer in always hating on the iphone. I think it's useless and the plan for it is too expensive. I can't believe how many people have one. My phone with real buttons works great, and I can text on it without even having to look at the screen, just by feeling around the keys ;)

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I'm a firm believer in always hating on the iphone. I think it's useless and the plan for it is too expensive. I can't believe how many people have one. My phone with real buttons works great, and I can text on it without even having to look at the screen, just by feeling around the keys ;)
Then you would not like my B&O Serene, I paid 1300.00 for it, but for me its all about the piece, it like art.
However, the iPhone is really amazing, my son has a new one, but its just not for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.