Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Apple is lucky they didn’t get a hefty fine. They got away with it honestly. EU is being nice to Apple. Change is coming! I’m glad the ruling was made this early on stage. Apple has plenty of time to implement it. No more excuses! 🤫
How are they lucky they didn’t get a fine when the law doesn’t come into effect until August 2024.

As an iPad Pro owner I welcome the new iPhone having USB C as I can just use the same lead and charger.

You just know Apple could try to save the planet by not including a uSB C to USB C lead in the box next year.

Reactions: JapanApple

Apple_Gabe

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2022
My biggest issue with Lightning is that Apple hasn't really improved on it since release. Even though the devices have gotten more advanced, the connection itself hasn't from my knowledge. I think Lightning would have gotten a lot of support if Apple kept upgrading it. But I do feel like USB-C feels much more premium than Lightning, maybe it's because it weighs more? Just very satisfying to plug in an USB-C imo.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Why don't you step back into the Way-back machine to 1992, and see if the data and energy bandwidth of those connectors are sufficient for people today.
It’s funny because USB 2.0 was released 21 years ago — and Apple still uses it today. It was never meant to be future-proof. Consumer wireless speeds are nearing wired speeds. If there was ever a time to include faster transfer speeds, it’s over the last 10 years.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
My biggest issue with Lightning is that Apple hasn't really improved on it since release. Even though the devices have gotten more advanced, the connection itself hasn't from my knowledge.

My guess is that Apple engineers never bothered to improve lightning because they always assumed they would switch to USB-C one day. The push to keep lightning for so long probably came from high up: it meant they could sell more cables.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
So does this mean we're stuck with the USB-C form factor forever? If no device can have a different connector how do we ever get to what comes after USB-C?
I’m sure if you have an idea for a better connector, the multinational bureaucracy of Europe will give it their full attention. Responsiveness is a hallmark of large, multilateral coalitions.

• Haha
Reactions: Kengineer

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
My biggest issue with Lightning is that Apple hasn't really improved on it since release. Even though the devices have gotten more advanced, the connection itself hasn't from my knowledge. I think Lightning would have gotten a lot of support if Apple kept upgrading it. But I do feel like USB-C feels much more premium than Lightning, maybe it's because it weighs more? Just very satisfying to plug in an USB-C imo.
Lightning might have gotten more attention if the EU hadn't been pushing to get rid of it for the last 5ish years. Why invest in something that the EU is hell-bent on banning?

We're very lucky that we have lightning at all since the EU tried to legislate micro-usb as the standard in 2009 (https://www.engadget.com/2010-12-29...-bodies-formalize-micro-usb-cellphone-ch.html), which was only 3 years before Apple introduce lightning in 2012. Luckily, that attempt didn't have teeth, so the world was able to progress with lightning, and later, with usb-c.

Back then (in 2010) the law allowed for a dongle and the articles were about "should Apple ditch the 30 pin connector in favor of Micro-USB?" (https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/european-standards-groups-agree-on-micro-usb/)

At the time, I'm sure some genius said "Micro USB gives us everything we should need for the next 30 years."

Reactions: Sill

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
EU didn't do this just because of Apple. There are so many things still using Mirco USB.
I guarantee it would not have been enough of an issue for all of this hullabaloo if Apple switched to USB-C a while ago.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
MagSafe is a bit slower than charging by lightning, and the cable is a bit bulkier. But if it works for you, great!
Speed isn't that slow, fast enough. I too use to use expensive cables with expensive power blocks. But always caused more harm to my devices. This time since I owned pads and iPhones I only use apple genuine products now.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I can see this being for EU only and US will still get Lightning, just like sim trays, US dont have them on iphone 14 but EU has
You might be right but UK networks (that don't currently offer it) are testing Esim as we speak, it would suggest to me Apple gave them a year to prepare. I could be wrong but I think all iPhones will be esim only next year and all will be USB C.

At this moment only Apple know.

O2, EE and I think Vodafone in the UK offer esim on a contract only. Three have been testing it with limited customers and told me they will be offering it very soon, but 3’s very soon could be years away I suppose. Apple are very powerful and if a network was not ready then they simply lose customers of all new iPhones that are esim only. A big incentive to get ready.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It clearly is about new products launching and not previous devices so they could’ve waited til 2024.
Is it clear? I read the official announcement, looking for phrases like "products newly introduced to market after xx/xx date", but couldn't find anything.

I'm not doubting this is the case, but it certainly was not clear to me.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
It’s funny because USB 2.0 was released 21 years ago — and Apple still uses it today. It was never meant to be future-proof. Consumer wireless speeds are nearing wired speeds. If there was ever a time to include faster transfer speeds, it’s over the last 10 years.
Now I feel old :p

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
That's just ***** great. I need a new phone now, not because my phone's awful (it's great), but because we've got five family members that we cycle the phones down. Ugh.

Vespi

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2021
You might be right but UK networks (that don't currently offer it) are testing Esim as we speak, it would suggest to me Apple gave them a year to prepare. I could be wrong but I think all iPhones will be esim only next year and all will be USB C.

At this moment only Apple know.

O2, EE and I think Vodafone in the UK offer esim on a contract only. Three have been testing it with limited customers and told me they will be offering it very soon, but 3’s very soon could be years away I suppose. Apple are very powerful and if a network was not ready then they simply lose customers of all new iPhones that are esim only. A big incentive to get ready.
If I were in charge at Apple, I would remove charging port all together and make all phones Esim only both EU and US

Reactions: Davelfc

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It's being solved by government mandate right now.
Apparently market forces haven't sorted it out by themselves in over two decades.
Not everyone is complaining about Lightning. Especially with the pervasiveness of wireless charging, it's beginning to become a non-issue for millions who have never even inserted a cable into the bottom of their iPhones.

In other words, not everyone things it's a problem that needs to be solved (especially by govt mandate).

Reactions: strongy

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
Watch them dump the connector completely and make it wireless only.
Even a wireless only device will need a MagSafe or other charging solution which ultimately requires a cord of some sort. Will EU accept that, or will they still require a USB-C connection? Exactly what does the ruling state? My understanding is that they required the switch from Lightning to USB-C to reduce the waste from various charging solutions. EU might consider MagSafe another wasteful alternative to Lightning.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
If I were in charge at Apple, I would remove charging port all together and make all phones Esim only both EU and US
Given the loss of energy, or should I say waste that comes from wireless charging, would that be a wise idea? Plus a lot of vehicles can’t use apple car play other than with a wire and there’s no cheap solution to that. And I hate The term ‘wireless charging’ as it sill requires a charger and lead and your phone being attached. Like that advert ‘eye testing while you wait’

I think the connector is here for a bit longer yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.