Grief from PC neighbor

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jackintosh, May 16, 2009.

1. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

My neighbor is giving me grief for being an Mac owner and fan (Mac Mini 2.26 in particular). He claims PCs are much better deals. According to him, PCs are cheaper to buy, easier to fix, cheaper to have repaired, and they do the same things that Macs do, mostly because PCs are not proprietary hardware like Macs are. He and his PC friend claim Apple Macs are "boutique" products, hence the hefty price tag to buy and repair compared to workhorse PCs.

It's really the toaster as an appliance mentality...hey, if they all make the same toast, why pay a premium price? Watching a video or having a utility run will yield the same results on either type of machine. And if the motherboard or another part fails, it's easier to access a standard slotted PC than opening up a Mac.

My response is you get what you pay for. Macs are better quality hardware, have the superior OSX operating system, and no virus issues. But this falls on deaf ears as a struggling attempt to come up with some rationale.

So what say ye all? Why do we love Macs over PCs, and what do you tell followers of the dark side?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't feel the need to justify or defend my Mac to any PC owner
    If they are happy with what they have... more power to them

I prefer OSX and the stability of Leopard and the Mac environment, simple as that
    We both had choices and I don't try to evangelize for Macs

I care not what they think

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Just tell them this next time.... right after they finish their ramblings:

"So what's you F&*#ing point?"

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Most Windows-based PC owners have never tried a Mac. It's the whole fear of the unknown thing. Why even discuss it? It's kinda like my discussing the value of a bath with my 7-year-old.:rolleyes:

5. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

As for me I own both a PC and a Mac.

There's pros and cons to owning both so i don't bash on either OS or platform.

Anyone that takes either side isn't worth your time.
    Just ignore them next time.

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

There are pro's and con's for both, that is true.. but in the end, my ultimate choice is a mac :apple:

and i love the term "boutique product" haha, makes me feel good lmfao
    But its sad that windows runs better on my pc than my macbook, its an utter pain to use windows on my new unibody macbook :(

7. 24usedtorock macrumors regular

Yes in general PC owners consider Mac owners to be elitists of some sort, I haven't quite figured it out yet.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

"I'm sorry, I don't recall asking your opinion of my choice in computer, and I don't see why you should care what I choose to use.

Hey, your Windows Update needs your attention, it needs to run Windows Genuine Advantage verification again. You'd better get going..."

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Really? Elitists?

Do you guys have your own internet or something special?

C'mon its a computer that is nothing more than a waste of natural resources and a detriment to the environment for decades to come, just like a PC.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...took the words right out of my keyboard...

11. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into a Mac vs. PC Flame War.

STUPID.

12. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I must live in a different world. Discussed the fact that I was a Windows Guy and now I'm an Apple Guy. Received lots of questions about how my experience with Mac has been from both neighbours and friends. If anything, it's caused many of the people I come into contact with, to question choice of a Windows PC. :cool:

13. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

The concern of PC users regarding what Mac users spend their money on is simply baffling. You'll see these people here on the forums constantly trumpeting their low-cost alternatives (Build Your Own For Less!®), as if we Mac users don't already realize we're paying premium prices (and are generally happy to do so).

If you bought a Honda, would your neighbor come over and harass you for not buying a Kia? Doubtful. If you were sporting a new pair of Nikes, would he mock you and show you his new vinyl clogs from Payless? Of course not. Yet buy a Mac and these people start frothing at the mouth.

I think this is what they call the Green Monster?

14. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Tell him, "Yeah, I used to think that, too, before I got my Mac."

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

i was in that postion a year ago when I was looking for a new laptop.
    I ended up with a new dell. it wasn't the price of the mac, nor did I feel I needed some material thing to boost my self esteem it was because of the hardware that the dell came with. If the mac had the same hardware components I would be typing on an MBP not and XPS.

16. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

To me the extra cost of an :apple: computer is totally justified, OS X is worth more than double of Windows Vista; due to OS X performance, stability, usability. As for hardware specifications:

Your hardware is only as good as your OS allows it to be.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

who cares... thats like someone arguing pepsi vs coke. except with a price difference. and the fact that pepsi sucks

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I discovered blu ray playback and HDMI out of the MBP doesn't work very well. ;)

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ignore him. People use what they want: whats the big deal?? People who get all uptight over who uses what kind of computer need to chill the hell out. That being said: you're clearly superior for using a Mac.:D

20. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Somewhat hypocritical:p But I think you intended it to be...
    SG :apple:

21. chowmein macrumors member

use boot camp on your mini and say that you get a pc and a mac for buying it. i wonder if pc's are still better value? :rolleyes:

22. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh yes.

i'd much rather have a MacBook, then a Dell - but again, preference. i'm not going to hate someone for liking Windows. Most people could care less. As do I.

it's YOUR computer not mine. ha so i don't really see the need to control it

23. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Exactly what I was thinking haha.

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I couldn't say 'I chose a Dell over a MBP' with a straight face.

One is made from superior materials, it's an engineered product with a build second to none running a solid operating system... and the other is a Dell running Vista... :eek:

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I used to use VPC and now Parallels/VMware Fusion.

So when the issue comes up, I just run Windows on the Mac and say that I use both but would prefer to only carry one computer. That usually shuts them up quickly.

Also, if they come to my home I have both PCs (Desktops/Laptops) and Macs (Desktops/Laptops).

I much prefer using Macs and the Mac OS. But my work requires use of Windows and Windows apps. The Mac platform provides a wonderful way to do both. :)