Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm really surprised to see that it only takes waiting, but that's great news!

And here I was spending time trying to track down all the other threads where people had problems, to see if I could identify the differences.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm really surprised to see that it only takes waiting, but that's great news!

And here I was spending time trying to track down all the other threads where people had problems, to see if I could identify the differences.

Your input is of course highly appreciated too! I just could not believe my eyes when the login screen appeared. Perhaps I was to much spoiled with those boot times from SSD's. Sometimes all you need to do, is sit back, relax and sip a beer! For me another lessen learned!

Cheers

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Thanks for mending the .rom with the upper DVI! As you perhaps might have read, I recently acquired a GTX-680-FTW-4GB that I flashed Mac EFI with your rom. May I ask if you have any trouble with booting Windows 8/10 EFI.
Last time I check it didn't work. I think it crashed during boot on my MacPro3,1, but I could be wrong.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
^^^^ Thanks Florian, I managed with some help of MR to install your rom, Windows is still taking much to long to boot, I must address this issue.

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
While I'm troubleshooting the very long boot times I googled and came across a hardware issue in the Reliability Monitor:

Code:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    117
Parameter 1:    ffffd4825c50c010
Parameter 2:    fffff80219c9f0cc
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    16f8
Versie besturingssysteem:    10_0_14393
Servicepack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
Versie van besturingssysteem:    10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Landinstelling-id:    1043

So, there seems to be a bigger problem with only graphics card that is installed the macEFI GTX-680:
1. drivers updated to the latest 372.90, known problems?
2. power issues for the GTX?

Wow, this upgrade has more culprits than I've hoped for. Anyone that would like to lend a hand and help me. After updating the NVidia drivers my boot time went up to 5:13 mins... :eek:

BTW: I don't get errors in RM regarding the Marvell 9230 controller update.

Cheers

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
1. drivers updated to the latest 372.90, known problems?

Here is the other thread where they talk about it.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-gtx680-windows-efi-problem.1959255/

Unfortunately there isn't any detailed information about the problem. But it does seem that switching to Windows BIOS install fixes it. And since the problem has existed for so long, I doubt it's just 372.90.

Maybe there is more information over at Netkas. I haven't looked there.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
But it does seem that switching to Windows BIOS install fixes it. And since the problem has existed for so long, I doubt it's just 372.90.

Maybe there is more information over at Netkas. I haven't looked there.

Thanks! I used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.2.1 and uninstalled all Graphics drivers - and not the least important the leftovers - from my SSD. Rebooting resulted is a "Flash Gordon" boot time of 15 sec! After installing the NV 373.06 WHQL the boot time was 165 sec again.

I think using the Nvidia drivers over those Windows ons, I'll just have to accept the longer boot times!

Thanks for trying to help we with this issue. :cool:

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
So... Here's the bottom line. If you have a copy of your original BIOS before flashing (you should). Make all the settings on the first tab (Common) of the Tweaker match. The new Mac rom settings on this first tab should ALL match your original unflashed PC rom.

You can use "Open BIOS" from Tweaker to open your original PC rom file and verify all the settings.

There's no risk, your just setting everything back to the way is was when you bought the card. You just now have the EFI for the boot screens. :D

I know I'm walking the path of the living dead, submitting another post in this thread because I installed and flashed a GTX-680-FTW-4GB in 2016.! :oops:

Did you had boot time issues with your rom?

I would like to know if it is absolute mandatory to tweak all settings in the first tab. What about the power settings? I noticed that your tweaked rom has a less power settings for the GTX-680. As for the 250-300W - settings in the original FTW rom file - I'm worried that my GTX-680-FTW-4GB will go over te top and draw that TPD from the PCEi and the both 6 (used the with my non-ME GTX-670-FTW-4GB) pin power cables. Your input will be appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I would like to know if it is absolute mandatory to tweak all settings in the first tab. What about the power settings? I noticed that your tweaked rom has a less power settings for the GTX-680. As for the 250-300W - settings in the original FTW rom file - I'm worried that my GTX-680-FTW-4GB will go over te top and draw that TPD from the PCEi and the both 6 (used the with my non-ME GTX-670-FTW-4GB) pin power cables. Your input will be appreciated!

No, it's not absolutely mandatory to tweak the settings. If you don't, your card would just run at the settings on the ROM that you downloaded.

Tweaking the ROM can help you control how much power the card will draw. How much power and where (PCI-e, 6 pin connectors, 8 pin connectors) it pulls the power from is another story. I don't know how that is controlled.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for your reply! I used the rom by @Flor!an and the max TPD are tweaked les than my original rom. I connected the GTX-680 with two 6-pin power cables. When changing the settings to the original rom on the first tab, I'll upping the power settings to a max of 250W, a power draw that exceeds the max 225W draw from PCIe and the two onboard power taps.

As I never ever flashed a GFX card, I'm a bit unsure about the max settings in the BiosTweaker. :confused:

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks! Yes, I'm very happy with the performance of the GTX-680 in OS X and Windows ATM, and the bootscreens was a "need-to-have" thingy for me. But, I have to wait when MS and/or Nvidia will solve the AU 1607 14393.321 / NV 373.06 issue in Windows as many users at the Geforce Forum are reporting. A clean install of the 1511 Build solves these issues.

Just sitting back, relaxing and waiting for solutions to come around the corner!

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
If you want to play it safe, you can just keep Fl0r!an's settings.

Hi, here is a screen-cap of the TPD of my GTX-680-FTW-4GB when benching Heaven v4.0 with extreme settings:
ScreenCap%202016-10-22%20at%2023.17.00.jpg

HWmonitor version 6.21.1412:

ScreenCap%202016-10-22%20at%2023.12.26.jpg

As you can see especially my PCIe Booster A is spiking in the ~85's Watt of TPD. What is the bandwidth for the limit for both Boosters A/B as my GTX is drawing ~10 Watts more the specced power from Booster A (75W). Do I have to use the bios tweaker application to lower the maximum draw and what will the outcome of this tweak in performance. Directions much appreciated!

Cheers

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
As you can see especially my PCIe Booster A is spiking in the ~85's Watt of TPD. What is the bandwidth for the limit for both Boosters A/B as my GTX is drawing ~10 Watts more the specced power from Booster A (75W). Do I have to use the bios tweaker application to lower the maximum draw and what will the outcome of this tweak in performance. Directions much appreciated!

That's not going to help you control where the video card draws its power from. Tweaking the bios can only help you control the maximum amount of power the card draws as a whole.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for explaining this, appreciated. So my assumption that it would draw the power equaly from all three sources, PCIe and Boosters A+B (xW/3) is defenitly a fals one then.

Not sure if I should keep this card as it doesn't meet the specs of the 5.1 mobo after all. Even when using 6 pin cables for both the 6 and 8 pin connectors on the card, the power drawn from the 8 pin is >75W. Oh mai....

Cheers

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for explaining this, appreciated. So my assumption that it would draw the power equaly from all three sources, PCIe and Boosters A+B (xW/3) is defenitly a fals one then.

Not sure if I should keep this card as it doesn't meet the specs of the 5.1 mobo after all. Even when using 6 pin cables for both the 6 and 8 pin connectors on the card, the power drawn from the 8 pin is >75W. Oh mai....

Cheers

That's a very wrong assumption. And from your pic, you can see that the Booster B (yellow line) only has very low usage.

Anyway, 85W is nothing for the cMP, I wouldn't worry about it.

GhostImage

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
SoCal
I am very late to this discussion having only secured a GTX 680 4GB a few months ago. I have never flashed a graphics card before. I have downloaded all the mentioned tools but then became concerned when there was mention of "bricking" the card if done incorrectly. Could someone link a video or step-by-step instructions for a newb like me?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Could someone link a video or step-by-step instructions for a newb like me?

Yes, I wrote step-by-step instructions here.

The GTX680 is pretty easy. There is always some risk, but I can't recall anyone "bricking" theirs here. Don't do it during stormy weather with spotty power.

If the ROM you've downloaded is Dr Stealth's ROM, I suggest using Florian's ROM instead, which is the one I linked to in the instructions. Also, the current version of the flashing software doesn't do anything on the GTX 680 any more, so you'll have to get the older version I linked to.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I am very late to this discussion having only secured a GTX 680 4GB a few months ago. I have never flashed a graphics card before. I have downloaded all the mentioned tools but then became concerned when there was mention of "bricking" the card if done incorrectly. Could someone link a video or step-by-step instructions for a newb like me?

I was also much too late to the party with my GTX-680-FTW-4GB which I bought recently. Never flashed a video card before, but with the great help from the guys here in this thread/forum, even for a NOT tech-savvy person like myself I got the flash done in a few moments. I followed the workflow from ActionableMango!

EDIT: I needed all 2xDVI/HDMI/Dp ports, so I used the ROM by Fl0r!an. Happy ever after.

Good luck getting your quest done and enjoy your flashed GTX!

Cheers

GhostImage

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
SoCal
Yes, I wrote step-by-step instructions here.

The GTX680 is pretty easy. There is always some risk, but I can't recall anyone "bricking" theirs here. Don't do it during stormy weather with spotty power.

If the ROM you've downloaded is Dr Stealth's ROM, I suggest using Florian's ROM instead, which is the one I linked to in the instructions. Also, the current version of the flashing software doesn't do anything on the GTX 680 any more, so you'll have to get the older version I linked to.

I so appreciate your link. Unfortunately, the link to the older version of NVflash that works with GTX 680 cards isn't working. I am not sure if I have a working version or not. As it turns out, what I thought was a 4 GB card turns out to be a 2 GB card. I should have been more aware. Sigh.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Did you ever get that long boot time sorted out?

Thanks for asking!

No unfortunedly not! It seems the Nvidia drivers in Windows 10 are the cause of evil AFAIK! The difference is significant: ~10 (Windows 10 drivers, Nvidia UNINSTALLED with the DDU tool) secs vs ~165secs (Nvidia drivers)

When gaming I have to boot the SSD. When doing less hardware (mainly non-GPU) related stuff I fire up Windows 10 in a VM, which will boot in ~20secs.

So, I'm still googling for a solution, if there is any?!

Cheers

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I so appreciate your link. Unfortunately, the link to the older version of NVflash that works with GTX 680 cards isn't working. I am not sure if I have a working version or not. As it turns out, what I thought was a 4 GB card turns out to be a 2 GB card. I should have been more aware. Sigh.

I have fixed the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.