Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Interesting. So, Android had this;
"public float getPressure (int pointerIndex)
Returns the current pressure of this event for the given pointer index (use getPointerId(int) to find the pointer identifier for this index). The pressure generally ranges from 0 (no pressure at all) to 1 (normal pressure), however values higher than 1 may be generated depending on the calibration of the input device."
But only used a binary event of 0 or 1?

The return value is a float. If you don't know what floats are, it's basically decimal values, i.e. it can return 0.31234543 as a value which implies it's 30% towards a "normal pressure" touch

jlozoya

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2018
ÜT: 32.81656,-117.00708
Why would Apple want to switch phones/tablets to USB-C? Also, what's the advantage in having all devices run connect on USB-C? What would people do with that, try and plug in a Retina monitor directly to my iPhone? Not likely. Aside from having all things use the same cable, I don't get why that's important.

Apple has made a big deal about getting devices slimmer and slimmer. USB makes the device fatter.

Agreed, I don't think its happening. Best case you can hope for is the USB-C to lightning being the default. I get this isn't great for a multitude of uses outside Apple's own laptop, which I do happen to own BUT not having their own products work together, is a really bad look.

Maybe since they've decided to trash the headphone dongle, they will be including a USB to USB C adapter for a year or two in hopes that the USB-C transition become more widespread.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Nice strawman. More battery life is a reasonable ask, “multiple days of heavy usage” is a fantasy at this stage in anything that performs better than a 3GS or is smaller than a house brick but HURR DURR JONY WANTS IT THIN, right?

Actually, by definition, that is not a strawman. The proposition that thinner = less battery life is factual, all other things being equal. My comment was simple sarcasm, not a logical fallacy.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
What about actually being on a plane? There is no way that the airlines are going to allow 200 passengers to use bluetooth headsets. What actually does happen when 200 people near each other use bluetooth, anyway?

And what exactly do you suggest is the tipping point? I’ve been on planes recently and seen a larger percentage using wireless headphones at the same time. Didn’t seem to be a problem.

However, USB-C is very nearly as small as Lightening, faster for data, capable of the fastest charging, and USB is perhaps more readily extensible for both peripherals and applications than Bluetooth. That would make life easier for everyone, I think; and as long as Apple peripherals give quality for premium price, I doubt they really need lock-in to assure profits.

It’s still a hole in the phone that takes up internal space. Add to that there’s no USB-C audio standard yet. Lightning is capable of being just as fast as USB-C, but Apple has limited it to USB 2.0 speeds for some reason. Wireless is faster, and is getting faster every year. USB-C would also be harder to control what peripherals get plugged directly into the iPhone, and the standard is much harder to police. Add to that, all Apple customers would have to throw out all of their Lightning peripherals, or buy yet more adapters to keep using them, after only 6 years without any significant benefits to the average customer. There would quite a backlash. As for making life easier ... most people never plug anything into an iPhone except a charger, so whether it’s a magnetic puck stuck to the back, or a pad or dock, it won’t really change the equation much, and make their lives much easier going forward as the world moves to a QI standard, ultimately eliminating a lot of wires and cables being needed or carried around.

Last edited:

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I'm glad the change was done to remove the head jack. We needed the room and it forced Bose,Sony & SENNHEISER to make wireless noise canceling headphones. Apple forced the industry to grow.....
Seriously! Do you have any idea how long these companies have been making Bluetooth, noise cancelling headphones????

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Not gonna happen (for a long while, or until wireless charging gets substantially better). It's hardly the connector that's limiting the thinness of the phone.

mgdot

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
Losing any hardwire connectivity on the iPhone would be such a rash decision, but would be so inline with Jony Ive's other bad design choices.

Jony Ive used to take a well functioning and specced product and make it look, feel, and appear great. However, without anyone to balance his design minded decisions with practical and engineering needs, he's been making rash decisions that make it much more difficult for the users.

The idea of phasing in a new technology while phasing out an old technology has been lost on him. We didn't lose all USB ports when apple introduced firewire. We didn't lose all firewire ports when apple introduced Lightning.

The best way to get where he wanted to go should have been.
-Introduce Earpods and Wireless Charging so people start being less reliant on their lightning port.
-Introduce USB-C on the new Macbook Pro, so people start using the superior cable and technology.
-Switch to USB-C on the iPad Pro so early adopters and premier users can pioneer the use of USB-C laptop peripherals and devices on the iPad
-Lose everything but the USB-C and SD Card on the MacbookPro, to further get users to rely on wireless and USB-C technology.
-Switch to USB-C only on the iPhone once everyone already has USB-C and uses AirPods.

Reactions: Miha_v

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Isn’t it funny that when the headphone jack was removed, people accused Apple of using this opportunity to sell dongles and now, Apple is being accused of a move which would ironically remove their ability to sell dongles and lightning accessories?

They give away dongles, so that's not the issue. If Apple actually does remove the lighting connector, people will be forced to buy wireless interface devices to connect their wired components. In both cases, they encumbur important features for many users. In my case a big part of the enjoyment of my phone is using it with my high end in-ear monitors, connecting to my home stereo, PA systems, etc. I have a friend who went on-and-on about how a dongle is not a big deal, but all least five times since, he's forgotten the dongle in his car or at home and could not use his phone to connect to our PA system. But his phone is really thin, so there's that. :rolleyes:

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I highly doubt that Apple ever seriously considered removing the lighting connector from the iPhone X. The lightning connector will be around for another 5 years at least.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
That's great and all, but how are you going to charge the phone in your car? Or at the airport? This is a design edict disconnected from the real world. Time to leave the glass bubble, Jonny.

Wireless Car Play with wireless charging. You got me on the airport scenario.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
They give away dongles, so that's not the issue. If Apple actually does remove the lighting connector, people will be forced to buy wireless interface devices to connect their wired components. In both cases, they encumbur important features for many users. In my case a big part of the enjoyment of my phone is using it with my high end in-ear monitors, connecting to my home stereo, PA systems, etc. I have a friend who went on-and-on about how a dongle is not a big deal, but all least five times since, he's forgotten the dongle in his car or at home and could not use his phone to connect to our PA system. But his phone is really thin, so there's that. :rolleyes:

Seems like a dongle is an easy solution for your in-ear monitors, and connecting to stereos and PAs. Seems like your friend is over at your house quite a bit. For $9, after the first time I forgot my dongle, I probably would have bought a dongle to leave at your house. I’d also have one in my car too. So he’s either cheap or lazy. ;) It still requires a cable of some sort to plug into a stereo or PA, and in every situation you may not have the correct one anyway. I’ve been in numerous situations where no one had a 1/4” to 3.5mm adapter, or an RCA Y cable to 3.5mm adapter. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run around the corner to a Radio Shack to buy one, but now there’s no more radio shack. I find most places I go now, there’s a BT speaker available. In fact, I bought a BT receiver for my home stereo, not only to keep from having to tether my phone to my stereo, where I can’t otherwise use it, but also to accommodate my friends. But that’s me.

Wireless Car Play with wireless charging. You got me on the airport scenario.

The last airport I was in had a wireless QI charging bar. Set your iPhone X on the bar and it charges while you keep using it. By the time Apple actually does remove the port, then most major airports you visit will have them as well. And if they don’t you’ll likely have your own magnetic charging puck that snaps onto the back of your phone so it charges while you continue to use it, just like the Apple Watch. There’s no scenario here that isn’t easily mitigated to make it comparable to the experience you have now.

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
Jony Ive used to take a well functioning and specced product and make it look, feel, and appear great. However, without anyone to balance his design minded decisions with practical and engineering needs, he's been making rash decisions that make it much more difficult for the users.

This is a great summary. A guy like Jony Ive needs a guy like Steve Jobs to set the tone. And Tim Cook isn't that guy, unfortunately.

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
The Lightning connector absolutely needs to die, it should never have existed in the first place.

But no connector at all? Unacceptable. When Lightning showed up, it should have been micro-USB. Today, it should be USB-C.

I like my iPhone. I REALLY don't like Android.

But I will not buy an iPhone without a data port.

Apple, it's WELL past time to fire Jony Ive. He hasn't done anything good in 10 years, and the garbage he's putting out now is making Apple's products significantly worse. How much is the keyboard fiasco costing you? Ive's fault. Mac Pro sales near zero because of a truly stupid trashcan design? Ive's fault. iMac thermal management problems killing graphics chips? ive's fault.

The original iMac was great. The iMac G4 was amazing. The cheesegrater G5/Mac Pro was excellent. The first aluminum unibody MacBook Pros were brilliant (but also became one of his early failures when the battery door disappeared).

No, Jony Ive is apparently out of good ideas, and is inflicting bad ones. Fire him before he brings Apple down.

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
This is a great summary. A guy like Jony Ive needs a guy like Steve Jobs to set the tone. And Tim Cook isn't that guy, unfortunately.

Jobs wasn't an engineer either. This started downhill well before he died.

Ive needs an engineer as a boss. Never give a designer final say over technology.

(Or just accept that he's run out of good ideas, and it's time for him to go away.)

Frank Dalton

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2015
Oklahoma Territory
Jobs wasn't an engineer either. This started downhill well before he died.

Ive needs an engineer as a boss. Never give a designer final say over technology.

(Or just accept that he's run out of good ideas, and it's time for him to go away.)

This is perhaps true but at least Jobs seemed to have more of an overall understanding of these things than Cook does. Maybe an engineer would be even better, as you suggest.

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
Micro-USB did not meet the needs of the 30-pin dock connector Lightning replaced.

Lightning did not meet the needs of the 30-pin dock connector Lightning replaced.

Micro-USB did, however, do everything Lightning does except insert either way. And the dock connector didn't do that either.

Lightning doesn't have audio out, it doesn't have video out, those happen over USB in the Lightning connector, the dock connector had pins for them. Lightning doesn't have FireWire, the dock connector did.

No, Micro-USB had everything Lightning does except be flippy. USB-C is flippy, so Lightning now has zero advantages over a standard connector.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Lightning did not meet the needs of the 30-pin dock connector Lightning replaced.

Micro-USB did, however, do everything Lightning does except insert either way. And the dock connector didn't do that either.

Lightning doesn't have audio out, it doesn't have video out, those happen over USB in the Lightning connector, the dock connector had pins for them. Lightning doesn't have FireWire, the dock connector did.

No, Micro-USB had everything Lightning does except be flippy.

Interesting opinion. But then there’s this:

https://www.pocketables.com/2012/12...ightning-connector-vs-microusb-connector.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-lightning-vs-micro-usb-2012-9

https://www.guidingtech.com/48256/lightning-cables-vs-micro-usb-chargers/

https://xsreviews.co.uk/editorial/5-reasons-lightning-is-better-than-microusb/

Last edited:

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
So.... you'd have to carry around a cumbersome 'wireless' charging dock with you everywhere you went? o_O

In 'the future' when wireless docks are built into every desk, coffee shop table, trains, workplace etc then that would be fine. In the meantime such a move would totally kill the iPhone for obvious reasons.

I don’t think it will kill it.
[doublepost=1529801382][/doublepost]

No, Micro-USB had everything Lightning does except be flippy. USB-C is flippy, so Lightning now has zero advantages over a standard connector.

I does when it’s on every apple peripheral devices. That means Apple would have to spend money changing out the ports on every other device excluding the new MacBook pros. Not gonna happen. Lighting is here to stay well into the next decade.

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2014
NewBrunswick, Canada
I don't get this wireless charging thing. Its slower and wastes 30-40% of electricity compared to a cable. Everywhere else were striving to make devices more energy efficient and yet they're pushing this new technology thats far less efficient than what we already have, and offers no real improvements.

Simple case use, I use my phone a lot in bed, and I can just plug it in to charge while using it with a cable. With a "wireless" charger, the device has to sit on the pad, and you can no longer hold the device while it charges.

Reactions: H818H

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
"adding a wireless charger would raise the price of the iPhone"

I got news for ya apple, the price is already borderline ridiculous, you're profits are off the scale, and your products are proving to be more and more flawed. Maybe go back to designing things that "just work". The price used to be exclusivity, it's not anymore. I paid more for both my Note 7 AND Note 8 than the iPhones that were available at the time (Which ironically was due to the plethora of bugs in IOS11 that made my 7+ more annoying than a crying baby in an elevator, hence me choosing my current Note 8). My 2015 rMBP still has useable ports, a keyboard that hasn't been recalled, and zero issues...... The current rMBP, none of the above. My last iphone, which was last year.... suffered from "new" software issues on what was a solid platform. I updated my iMac to high sierra and (admittingly expected) broke half my programs, which would have been fine if Apple even made updates for their most popular programs. It's not progress if everyone must pay for the progress, and we are all paying very dearly.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't get this wireless charging thing. Its slower and wastes 30-40% of electricity compared to a cable. Everywhere else were striving to make devices more energy efficient and yet they're pushing this new technology thats far less efficient than what we already have, and offers no real improvements.

Simple case use, I use my phone a lot in bed, and I can just plug it in to charge while using it with a cable. With a "wireless" charger, the device has to sit on the pad, and you can no longer hold the device while it charges.

When you are sleeping, you aren’t holding your device anyways, so who cares that you can’t use your iPhone as it charges or that it takes longer so long as it’s at 100% by the time you wake up?

It’s not a dealbreaker but makes for a nice little convenience to have.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
When you are sleeping, you aren’t holding your device anyways, so who cares that you can’t use your iPhone as it charges or that it takes longer so long as it’s at 100% by the time you wake up?

It’s not a dealbreaker but makes for a nice little convenience to have.

I LOVE my wireless charger. It's not feasible however to use it on my motorcycle, which I can use a plugged socket and do. Nor can I use it on my Jet Ski, and yes.... I do charge my phone on my jet ski if I am out all day. I have no place to put a wireless charger in my vehicle where it will be ergonomically acceptable, but a great "slot" to slide my phone in when plugged in. SO realistically if Apple assumes people will never leave work or home to do anything human, wireless charging only is a great idea.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I LOVE my wireless charger. It's not feasible however to use it on my motorcycle, which I can use a plugged socket and do. Nor can I use it on my Jet Ski, and yes.... I do charge my phone on my jet ski if I am out all day. I have no place to put a wireless charger in my vehicle where it will be ergonomically acceptable, but a great "slot" to slide my phone in when plugged in. SO realistically if Apple assumes people will never leave work or home to do anything human, wireless charging only is a great idea.

Well, the Airpods made it such that I never used wired headphones ever again.

I for one will be interested not so much in Apple removing the charging port, but more in what succeeds it. Apple is no idiot. They are not going to take something away without also giving you a viable alternative to serve as a replacement.

When they removed the headphone jack, Apple bundled lightning earbuds and an adaptor and offered Airpods for sale to make the transition less painful. And for most part, that was enough.

What could Apple possibly offer to make users indifferent between using cables or wireless charging on their phones, I wonder...

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That's great and all, but how are you going to charge the phone in your car? Or at the airport?
Easy, just carry your "wireless"(*) charging pad wherever you go.
I know, this is dumb, but then so are a lot of design decisions made by Apple lately.
(* inductive charging)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.