Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Wow. So many folks here need to calm down. A company like Apple considers all kinds of far fetched ideas every day. They have to in order to stay ahead of the competition even if the ideas are completely impractical today. Of course they're going to consider a phone without any ports/buttons. In fact, I'd be really worried about the future of Apple if they didn't consider ideas like that. I bet they were talking about removing the headphone jack years before they actually released a phone without one just like they probably considered removing the floppy disk drive many years before they actually did it.

This doesn't mean the next phone won't have a port or even an iPhone 5 years from now won't have one. It just means they're thinking about all the issues that would arise if they removed the port and if, one day, it's possible to address all the issues every one here is bringing up. Apple's not stupid. Of course they know they'd have to address things like charging in your car, how to handle external battery packs, etc.

Chill out people. Wireless charging is the future and all these issues folks are bringing up will eventually be addressed.

... and why are some folks here still plugging their iphones into their macs to back up to iTunes? This isn't 2007. You haven't had to do that to back up a phone in years. There're things called wifi and the cloud. Geez, I haven't even started iTunes in years.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think they'll wait until true wireless charging before they remove the Lightning port entirely. If the iPhone came with a little wireless charging block in the box that you plug into the wall and your phone just starts charging then I don't need a port. Though they will need a diagnostic port like the Apple Watch. Until then wireless charging is sometimes convenient and sometimes cumbersome. I still keep a Lightning cable on my nightstand—mostly for my iPad Pro—but also because if my iPhone X does actually get low on battery (very rare) I can keep using it with the cord plugged in. With the wireless pad it is very awkward to use/hold the iPhone and it slides off the sweet spot frequently. I've been saying for a long time that I think they'll eventually remove it but not for several more years until there is a better solution.

As for wireless solutions, I've got an iOttie suction cup wireless charging mount in my car that works absolutely perfectly. I was actually kinda surprised because I expected it to have problems but it has been rock solid since December. I pop my iPhone in there to keep it charged while streaming podcasts and music going to and from work. My nightstand has a little Anker charging pad that works well. I think I've also seen battery packs that have wireless chargers built in so I may pick up one of those at some point. It would have been doable for the iPhone X to have no Lightning port, but it would have been annoying for a lot of people and necessitated buying more hardware. I'm fine with that but a lot of people might not be so I think they were smart to wait. And at the very least if they don't wait for true wireless charging, the iPhone having supported Qi for several years will mean Qi will be all over the place by 2020.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I have so many lightning cables lol. I have one in a room, living room, and cars, and at work. It would be a shame if I have to replace them with something else.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This. If a 2019 iPhone comes with no port for me to plug in for CarPlay, guess Apple is outta luck on me buying a new iPhone until I buy a new car in 2024. I think Gurman is out of his ****ing mind on some of these rumors.
Where do you put your phone now while using CarPlay? Now imagine a $10 Qi pad or dongle there for the phone to connect to. Problem solved.

johnnygee

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
My 2011 Maxima is old enough that I can't use bluetooth for music. I connect the iPhone to a jack on the front of the stereo, and I use an Apple Watch for remote control. If they remove the jack, I'll buy an Android phone rather than replace or modify the car.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
With the Airpods, Apple made it such that I did not miss the loss of the headphone jack one bit.

I would have liked to see what Apple would have done to make me not miss the removal of the lightning port as well.

I guess I will just have to wait a little longer to see this new world order which Apple seeks to usher in.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I think the mute switch needs to go. We’ve lived this long without it on iPad, ‍♂️.

Ultimately, with Raise To Wake or Tap to Wake, I see these devices having a single rocker switch that will replace the volume buttons:
• Press once UP/DOWN to change volume
• Press-hold UP for Siri
• Press-twice-hold UP for AP
• Press once UP WHILE IN CAMERA for shutter; Press-hold UP WHILE IN CAMERA for burst-mode

Did I miss anything?

Mute switch, volume control buttons, power on button. Would not mind if they were gone. Maybe even the sound grill. The connector, would be the last one to go in my list.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
That's my point. If you thought people were upset, imagine how upset they're going to be with something that is used every day to keep the phone running.

How many people want to use their phone while it charges? A lot!
The only people that want to use their phone while it charges (aside from CarPlay) are people listening to music. They were all filtered out as Apple customers when Apple removed the headphone jack.

Everyone else is just using it while charging because their battery is low. (usually because they forgot to charge the phone when they had the chance)

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
This will be the only way for removing the port to work, has to be able to match fast charging that we have or better

AirPower has had challenges, because it ramps up or turns the power down in standby mode when it senses a compatible item on it. Presently Qi charges at the max input/output supported by the devices that are placed on it. Think of AirPower as being intelligent enough to sense the maximum power input required for a specific device that is supported.

iPhone 8/X = max charge rate 7.5W (AirPower will lower its power draw to match the placed device)
iPhone 2018 = max charge rate 15W (AirPower will increase power to optimize the charge to the device)

Now place two different Qi compatible devices, it charges one at 7.5W and the other at 15W and can increase or decrease power as devices are swapped and lower it when no devices are placed on it, thus saving power or intelligent power management. Plus optimizing by prioritizing power to a device with a lower charge compared to one with an 80% charge. This is a complex thing to do, thus AirPower is delayed, it’s just not another Qi mat/puck. Add cross device communication and possibly with the AirPower mat and things get complicated.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
For better or worse, Apple made a bold statement that expressed commitment to USB-C by eliminating all the data ports on the MacBook Pro and MacBook line and only included USB-C. If Apple leaves the Lightning port instead of replacing it with USB-C on the 2018 iPhone, it will clearly prove how inconsistent, clueless, mediocre, and useless Tim Cook is.

The iPhone and Mac are different products, and this is a logical fallacy.

The Mac has them for external monitors, GPU's, hard drives, etc. The iPhone does not need these same benefits in the current landscape.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
It may be ideal from a design perspective, however it is disconnected from the real world.

What would end up happening is people would buy cases that provide a lightning/USB-C connector because the alternative is simply inconvient and will be until true wireless charging. And that’s just power, data is another story.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I thought the consensus was they were going to switch from Lightning to USB-C connectors on all devices.

I'll be shocked if they do that. I think they're just going to hang onto the lightning port until it's time to completely get rid of it and not have any ports. We're probably only a couple/few years away from that being feasible.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Unless Apple somehow forces car manufactures to adopt in-car Qi charging and wireless CarPlay (preferably a backwards compatible option) I see this leading to lots of lost revenue from Apple Music cancelations. I actually really like CarPlay although Siri is still suspect sometimes, especially like that iOS 12 will let me use Waze w/ CarPlay(finally)... I literally purchased my current vehicle with CarPlay as one of my top priorities, and while I get nothing is future proof - I'm not buying a new car yet, so if I can't use CarPlay with a new phone (because mine doesn't do wireless CarPlay) I really wouldn't need Apple Music anymore, I'd turn back to Sirius, and use my car's Nav System, which is still light years ahead of Apple Maps BTW.

Exactly! Though... I see this as a great example of a bigger issue. Removing the port FOR CHARGING is a no-brainer. Sure, we'd have to go buy wireless charging pads, but as that technology improves it's also getting less expensive. No biggie.

BUT... there are so many other scenarios where wireless is simply not an option. CarPlay is a great example. Also, I travel with a DSLR and a lightning-to-SD connector. Apple branded no less! I don't see anyone making wireless versions of those... because that would be dumb. Apple makes lightning to headphones, HDMI/VGA/etc., and USB because there is a need for those. Sure, some could be mitigated wirelessly (such as AirPlay instead of cabled) but that doesn't solve all use cases.

Wireless is great for many things, but isn't the solution for all things. I'll take that even further to suggest that BlueTooth as we know it is great for some wireless connections but is not right for all of them. IMO we need a next-gen low power / high speed / low latency / high reliability wireless technology.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
For better or worse, Apple made a bold statement that expressed commitment to USB-C by eliminating all the data ports on the MacBook Pro and MacBook line and only included USB-C. If Apple leaves the Lightning port instead of replacing it with USB-C on the 2018 iPhone, it will clearly prove how inconsistent, clueless, mediocre, and useless Tim Cook is.
I’m going to leave you with 2 words that prove just how utterly wrong you are:
Thunderbolt
Lightning

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Given how many people I see with portable battery packs plugged into their phones while out and about, if you thought removing the 3.5mm audio jack was taken badly, you ain't seen nothing yet...

My theory is that they will try and do completely wireless charging. Meaning that in the future these battery packs would charge with some bluetooth-like protocol or whatever and not need a cable between the device and the battery to charge the device

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
While inductive wireless charging is all the rage, not sure where the technological potential currently lies for "inductive transfer of data"? Still seems very futuristic but I'm sure it's coming...

essential

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Where do you put your phone now while using CarPlay? Now imagine a $10 Qi pad or dongle there for the phone to connect to. Problem solved.

That's not how wireless CarPlay works. There is a difference between wireless power and wireless data transmission. You're never going to get what's required for wireless CarPlay from a $10 dongle ... if it's possible at all.

http://www.connectedcarlife.com/tech/how-does-wireless-apple-carplay-work

Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:

1 To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.

2. Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.

3. Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.

4. After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.

5. And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
A few years ago, it was reported that Apple's design chief Jony Ive's end goal is for the iPhone to resemble a "single sheet of glass," while Apple has repeatedly expressed its ambitions to "create a wireless future," so the eventual removal of the Lightning connector should perhaps come as no surprise.

Why stop there? Why not a deviceless future? That sheet of glass sounds cumbersome to have to schlep around and you would still have to invest in a case to stop it shattering. Bring back eyes, ears and mouths as means of communication and cut out the middleman.

Reactions: T Coma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.