Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is developing new iPad Pro, Mac, and Apple TV models, and at least some of these products will be released in October, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. However, Gurman continues to believe that Apple is unlikely to hold an event this month.

ipad-pro-m1-feature.jpg

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said "the big iPhone 14 unveiling last month was probably it for Apple in 2022 in terms of major presentations," suggesting that any iPad, Mac, and Apple TV product launches would be announced with press releases, media briefings, and updates to Apple's online store.

Last week, Gurman reported that new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini models with M2 series chips are "highly likely to launch" before the end of 2022. He also said an updated Apple TV with an A14 chip and an increased 4GB of RAM was "getting closer and could potentially launch this year."

Gurman also claimed that Apple has tested under-screen Touch ID in recent years, but he does not expect Touch ID to return for the iPhone 15 or other flagship models in the foreseeable future. Gurman can envision a new iPhone SE with a Touch ID power button on the side, but he hasn't "heard anything about that actually being in the pipeline."

iPhone-12-Touch-ID-Feature-Img.jpg

Another tidbit mentioned in Gurman's newsletter is that Apple apparently tested sleep tracking functionality for the HomePod — it's unclear which model — but he does not expect this feature to be rolled out to the public anytime soon, if ever.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple Event This October Remains Unlikely, No Touch ID for iPhone 15

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
No reason not to incorporate the Touch ID side button on pro models and have the option to use either face or Touch ID when appropriate. and for those that want two layers of security even better. Give us options. same with the iPad pros and Macs.

Also really would prefer a larger screen iMac to make a return next year.

Juanchi007

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
My bet is that there will be no event if it’s only iPad, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and Apple TV chip upgrades. As of yet, it sounds like they’re just decent chip upgrades that would make for an underwhelming presentation.

However, if Apple has any intention of showing off the Mac Pro before the end of the year, that would be the showstopper that would make an otherwise boring event headline news.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The first picture of the iPads has a weird "moving" effect when i scroll it up on my Macbook. (When you look at the wallpaper)

• Wow
Reactions: smoking monkey

kiranmk2

macrumors 65832
Oct 4, 2008
It sounds like the iPad Pros, Mac Mini, MacBook Pros (and maybe Apple TV) are litteraly going to be the same designs with newer chips. Don't really need an event / prerecoreded video for that.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Thus is the collective sound of MR posters jaws dropping as the iPhone 15 now appears to be an iPhone 13SS — without Touch ID.

Wasn’t this the expectation from the start? iPhone 15 should be the final form of iPhone 12. Neither Kuo nor Ross Young expect Touch ID and the pill won’t disappear until iPhone 16.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
With the high use of phone cases, including those sold by Apple, touch ID on the power button would be a tough adjustment. It makes sense on the iPad, my mini has it and it’s fine but the phone for most would have the power button covered. In screen is not awful, I have it on my Android phones, but it’s not as good as what we had with the touch ID button that is now gone. If they can find a way to add it, I would be fine but dont need it for my personal use any longer. If they want to add it somewhere, put it on my iPad Pro as an option to face ID and while we’re at it, add face iD to my mini.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Mac Pro announced next January as the suggested development platform for the newly announced VR headset?

Reactions: xmach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.