Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
November event it is then for the Mac Pro! ;)

What’s German’s track record?
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 10.36.18 AM.png

Reactions: schneeland

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
But I don’t want under the screen Touch ID, or in a side button that only picks up a fraction of the print.

Just don't use it then if it ever comes with it? The more options the user has to choose from the better, I don't see what's bad on that. And by the way, under the screen finger print sensors work pretty good on Androids, I don't see why Apple couldn't make something even more reliable and then it's up to the user to choose which one to use depending on the situation.

“Touch ID is not coming back”
Well duh. Neither is floppy drives, fire wire, DVD drives, or flash.

You are talking about it like it's just another obsolete technology, yet it's still on your Mac...

IamTimCook

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2016
November event it is then for the Mac Pro! ;)

View attachment 2086209
This accuracy report is only valid for the week or two week lead up to anyone one event. Or finding the correct period of time rumor person accidentally said the correct rumor.
The current rumor trend for the past couple of years is to run the entire gambit of rumors on anyone one product with the week lead up of rumors totally contradicting everything rumor person said months before.
So technically if you pick something they said in the months/year prior then they’re always correct.

If you add up anyone person’s gambit of rumors then they all have really bad track records.
If you only count the correct guess and disregard all the wrong guess then they have higher scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mystakill

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
“Touch ID is not coming back”
Well duh. Neither is floppy drives, fire wire, DVD drives, or flash.
Touch ID is still Apple's biggest iPhone failure, especially since they missed the entire COVID pandemic. And I recently got COVID and found Face ID to be a complete pain, nearly unworkable. Get your act together Apple. Where is the awesome engineering?

Mrkevinfinnerty

Suspended
Aug 13, 2022
Touch ID is still Apple's biggest iPhone failure, especially since they missed the entire COVID pandemic. And I recently got COVID and found Face ID to be a complete pain, nearly unworkable. Get your act together Apple. Where is the awesome engineering?

An example of where Apple's tendency to arbitrarily remove functionality backfires and leaves them looking a bit silly.

Pezimak

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2021
It is entirely Gurman’s own personal opinion that their will be no event, he hasn’t shared a shred of evidence to back it up and even stated it was his personal opinion. Well I’ll gleefully totally ignore him as wasn’t it also his personal opinion that the iPad Mini 6 wasn’t going to launch at the event it did? I believe Kuo thought so too, along with a flat sided new Apple Watch Series 7 design…

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
Just don't use it then if it ever comes with it? The more options the user has to choose from the better, I don't see what's bad on that. And by the way, under the screen finger print sensors work pretty good on Androids, I don't see why Apple couldn't make something even more reliable and then it's up to the user to choose which one to use depending on the situation.

You are talking about it like it's just another obsolete technology, yet it's still on your Mac...
I won’t have to use it because it isn’t coming back. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

🤞😃👍

JPack

macrumors G4
Mar 27, 2017
It is entirely Gurman’s own personal opinion that their will be no event, he hasn’t shared a shred of evidence to back it up and even stated it was his personal opinion. Well I’ll gleefully totally ignore him as wasn’t it also his personal opinion that the iPad Mini 6 wasn’t going to launch at the event it did? I believe Kuo thought so too, along with a flat sided new Apple Watch Series 7 design…

Except Gurman has an extremely strong track record of accurately predicting dates and event content, far better than anybody else. And how do you prove a negative? :)

Reactions: AlexMac89

HiVolt

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I think the only reason why Apple might have tested under screen Touch ID is when the pandemic hit, FaceID was rendered useless by mask wearing. It took them a little while, but they made it work with masks.

And I think the only reason other manufacturers are doing the fingerprint scanners still, because their face recognition is not as good as Apple.

Now mind you, I wouldn't mind having a dual layer security with Touch ID and Face ID, configurable for certain applications. But I just don't think Apple will do it.

Steven Op de beeck

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
How does having Covid impact FaceID? Anyway FaceID supports masks for about a year now, and Watch unlock for about 2 years.

Mrkevinfinnerty

Suspended
Aug 13, 2022
How does having Covid impact FaceID? Anyway FaceID supports masks for about a year now, and Watch unlock for about 2 years.

It's been supported since March when iOS 15.4 released (unless you were running beta software on your phone) which is two years after the pandemic started.

MayaUser

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2021
I cannot see Apple releasing a MacPro without having an event. They've hyped it up too much and mentioned it as the "last Mac" to make the transition.
They can press release it...nothing special about 4xM2 Ultra and half the size of the current Mac Pro
Or, and this is more likley they wait for January event when the AR/VR glass will be introduce as part of the developing system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.