Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Vision Pro headset is on the brink of launch as retail stores are beginning final preparations for the device to go on sale, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Blue-Magenta.jpg

In the latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that the Vision Pro is now shipping in small quantities to warehouses across the United States ahead of direct distribution to Apple retail stores. While the company has not yet announced its release date, it apparently believes there will be sufficient stock ready in the country by the end of January to launch in February. Interestingly, Gurman expects Apple to make a Vision Pro-related announcement "in the next week or so" to "take some of the spotlight away from CES," which starts on Tuesday, January 9.

On January 21, all Apple Stores in the United States will hold an unusual three-hour long meeting for all employees that will likely involve training and explanation of the sales procedure related to the device. Further training sessions are apparently planned for the subsequent days, followed by the reception of new inventory racks and backroom equipment.

Gurman also noted that Luxshare, the Chinese assembler of the Vision Pro, held a delivery ceremony last month to mark the first official shipments of the completed product, and Apple has now purportedly filed design patents "for every hardware and software element of the device," which further suggests that launch is likely to be very soon.

It remains unclear whether the Vision Pro will be immediately available via online pre-order. Apple may initially only offer an online reservation for an appointment at an Apple Store that would involve light seal and headband fitting.

Gurman believes that the launch of Vision Pro in other countries around the world will not "actually be that much later" than its release in the United States. Apple is said to be considering the United Kingdom, Canada, and China as the next markets to receive the product.

Article Link: Gurman: Vision Pro Launch 'Imminent' as Retail Stores Prepare

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bring it on: the first entirely new thing from Apple in a very, VERY long time... 6-7 years of Apple R&D time in the making.

While I lean pretty positive on what is known about it already, I look forward to actually trying one to pass final judgement with my own eyes. Hopefully it does what I would seek out of it very well.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Still no word on cost of prescription lenses. $499? I'm guessing it will be ridiculous.
Sadly I expect you will be 100% correct. It will horrify us initially. However....thats not something special apple will have control over. 3rd parties will be available pretty soon just like for all the AR/VR devices. But at the start I wouldn't be surprised if your price was right.

Reactions: DocMultimedia

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Cool, I really want to try it out first hand, doubt that I cough up the money but we shall see … only piece of tech that is in my radar this year is a new iPhone, but my 13PM still is fine, so let’s see

Reactions: valleian

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Even if Zeiss would normally charge a fortune for such lenses, I suspect Apple will be willing to subsidize that so the cost isn't more than $99. It's well worth a few million dollars to avoid the significant negative press they'd get from charging $500 for people who need glasses. This is an accessibility issue!

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I wish I can be around another 20 or more years to see what this thing will be like by then. It's an amazing piece of TECH what Apple is doing. I suppose as long as Apple is hugely profitable in other areas they can do these projects even if its not profitable?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Will be interesting what Apps will actually be available upon launch. That’s what is going to make or break it at the end of the day.
No. Although having a killer initial app or two (unlikely) would be very cool, initial apps will not be what AVP is about. It is about the hardware. AVP is about a new long-term product category for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.