Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Here's one way this WWDC doesn't turn out to be lame: They announce the new macOS will be doubling down on quality. macOS High Sierra has been a bug-riddled mess. If they treat this next release kind of like a "Snow Leopard" release, I'd be okay with that.

I know there is a lot of desire out there for innovation on mac, but Apple needs to get its **** together when it comes to quality, and if this WWDC was just about quality and setting us up for the next WWDC to be about further innovation, then that would be a win in my book.

2. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

It seems that pretty much every WWDC has Apple fans clamoring and predicting major announces and updates. And pretty much every time it doesn't meet those expectations. For developers expecting announcements on the latest development updates, it meets expectations. And often there is a minor hardware release or a tease of an upcoming hardware product.

3. Order_66 macrumors member

Order_66

"Apple could reveal its reported plans to allow iOS apps to run on Macs as early as this year. The wording suggests it's not entirely clear if Apple plans to discuss the project at WWDC or later."

Why do people continue to talk about this even though Cook recently went on record to say that this will never happen?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think we'll see some minor Mac speed bumps. Nothing groundbreaking hardware wise, and that is consistent with each year and expected.

5. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors regular

White iPhone 4, under Steve jobs was announced during WWDC2010 on June 7 2010, but not available until April 28, 2011. MMS for iPhone was announced in March 2009, but was not available for another 8 months. This is not new, Apple is a company, and they have delays.

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

So this guy is saying that Apple plans to live stream WWDC and only announce a hohum basic update to ios and no hardware? Um...highly unlikely. Something other than the minor tweeks to iOS will be announced. I’d bet on it. The question is what hardware? Macbooks? Macbook pros? Imacs? or ipad pros? Hmmm.

7. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Who said MBPs were “delayed”? Did Apple officially announce them yet? No. AirPods and HomePod were delayed, not unannounced 2018 MBPs.

Intel's Coffee Lake processors reportedly require a new logic board design,that takes time. Apple will likely announce in the fall. Patience, young Padawan.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Wow! Now, that’s efficiency ;)

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

where the hell is airpower and the wireless charging case for airpods ?

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I'm thinking. Honestly, Gurman's expectations seem as low as MacRumors users.

I'm expecting more. I'm hoping for more than that.

11. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Apple announces products that don't ship for months: "HOW CAN THEY DELAY THESE PRODUCTS FOR SO LONG?!"

Apple doesn't announce a product and instead waits until it's actually ready: "HOW CAN THEY DELAY THESE PRODUCTS FOR SO LONG?!"

A product can't be delayed if it isn't announced with a release period. If the product isn't ready, it isn't ready. And the rumors about an update are meaningless. Just because some journalist was hoping to have an accurate prediction, it doesn't mean Apple ever intended to release anything at all.

12. DotCom2 macrumors 601

I'm not all that upset about them not releasing hardware. Not too much anyway, since it is a Developer's Conference after all, but I hate how they have moved to releasing new hardware all in the last quarter of the year. It's all bunched up and hurts my wallet. I preferred it when they released things like iPads and such in the March/April time of year. It was more fun that way too! SIGH

13. HungryTech, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

HungryTech macrumors newbie

HungryTech

Tim Cook Needs to step Down I remember when apple products used to be something to look forward to, Its a complete joke at this point.

14. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind an event specifically for new Macs, or even just silent updates, but I really hope it's going to be sooner than September/October. Intel already released the new chips and a lot of manufacturers already made the switch. Does Apple gain anything by waiting before putting up to date components in its Macs?

15. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Maybe. I know this is not a WWDC keynote, but the media event where they introduced the MBP with Touchbar. Sure, the Touchbar has its uses, but did they really need a 2 hour event for it? I could see maybe 15 minutes, but not 2 hours.

I can see doing more with AR & VR. Besides that, not sure. Something I'd like to see, though very small & should take maybe 5 minutes, if that: animated app icons (both iOS & macOS). Do something like the Calendar app that shows the actual day, as well as the Clock app that shows the time with the second hand actually moving. I know it's insignificant, but it's still fun.

16. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I'd also think this would be a good time for the AirPower release, as well as the redesigned AirPods case. Not disappointed in no hardware updates at this WWDC though, because I have everything I need right now and it's a developer conference anyway.

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Same. I wish it wasn't "All hardware = Q4". I preferred it when it was iPhones in Q4 (their biggest seller), iPads in the Spring, and maybe Macs in the summer (at least in 2012 it was).

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Have you watched WWDC’s in the past? Some years there are hardware updates, some years not, but since the beginning of Apple live-streaming keynotes, WWDC has always been streamed given the massive developer population around the world.

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yeah, Kaby Lake Macs came out pretty soon after the 2016 Mac. Now that it's been a year, you'd think they would've had time to develop a new logic board for Coffee Lake. But I guess we'll see...

20. mous94410 macrumors 6502

mous94410

I’m just looking for iOS 12 on this keynote. Don’t ruin it Apple please

21. upandown macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for a new MBP like many, so that kind of stinks. But whats another few months, not the end of the world.

I suspect the delay has to do with Intel. And if they are taking more time to get a better keyboard in there, then take your time Apple. Do it right instead of rushing.

22. DotCom2 macrumors 601

The only thing they are going to release is a statement saying "Coming Soon" which means a year from now.

23. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

Focus on fixes than a UI overhaul next year which pretty much self explanatory means those fixes were pretty much for nothing.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Well, with iPhone and the upgrade program (and carriers doing the same) they are forced to release a new model every year in September.
    I'd like new Macs to be released as soon as a new CPU is available.
    As for iPads they have full control of the SoC so they could release them at any moment. I don't think they should release a new model every 12 months, they can easily wait 18 months especially for the entry level.

25. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This is no surprise, the new iPads were rumored to be announced later this year, and I have said that certain Mac updates have been delayed until later this year. Having said that, we could still see the iPad Pro, and there will certainly be changes to the Mac line at WWDC. People had too many expectations for this years WWDC, especially for Macs, which they seemed to not consider would be delayed despite comments about this. As for the watch, I don't think anyone was expecting to see that at the event.