Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

People keep saying this but Apple launched 3 pieces of hardware last year.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Oh please, when has Apple once said coming soon for something to take an actual year to be released.

3. AfroAbel macrumors regular

AfroAbel

No, it's not a media keynote where Apple is going to unveil their new Hardware, it's a developers conference where they show off their now Software!

No something that hasn't been announced can't be delayed until Q4.

No, a snow leopard release doesn't mean no new features.

And finally no, this wasn't all Tim Cook's fault.

I swear MR comments get worse every year.

4. upandown macrumors 6502a

The number of rational and positive comments is shocking. Well done

5. wigby macrumors 68000

WWDC gives developers the tools now so that they can deliver the products “later, later, later”.

6. wigby macrumors 68000

If their software and other announcements aren't really compelling, it will be a bad showing for them.

But the lack of hardware announcements rumored makes me hopeful that there will be some great software announcements and even some surprises. After all, there is no way that Federighi will stand on stage alone for 2 hours talking about iOS, MacOS, TVOS and WatchOS.

7. adamjackson macrumors 68000

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

iMessage in the cloud was promised in iOS 11, it was then delivered in iOS 11. 9 months after iOS 11 came out, not a year.

White iPhone was released 9 months after the announcement because of a paint chipping issue. I'm pretty sure people would be a lot more angry about their paint chipping than a 9 month wait.

AirPods were released 3 months after their announcement.

AirPower has not had a release date, other than 2018. Its not even halfway through 2018, so still not a year.

So please do go on, because not one has reached the "year" mark.

9. ajguckian macrumors regular

Do they talk about new gestures and the like when they go into the iOS portion? Cannot recall from previous iterations.

10. mrzz Suspended

Still I fully agree with the initial comment.

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

12. mrzz Suspended

I can think of another one explanation - Apple is just being managed by a bunch of incompetent ......

13. Pbhogal macrumors newbie

Pbhogal

WWDC will see MacBook Pro update !! later this year apple will bring out new iPads (before Christmas ) and the new MacBook Air iPhone XI plus !! its been 6 months and apple has bought out no new hardware apart from an educational iPad !!

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Kind of a bummer, but I am okay with it. Focus on performance and stability, introduce tools needed for the bigger changes to come, Siri and HomeKit enhancements, and throw in dark mode.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I'm hoping. It seems impossible that there will only be "minor tweaks". There have to be some other compelling features that we don't know about.

I guess it's the part about "shelving iOS 12 features until next year" that makes me a little less hopeful. It's like, if iOS 12 isn't everything they originally planned, then what is it? Guess we'll find out :)

16. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the exact same thing.

17. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

No, WWDC is a special event where Tim Cook specifically speaks to me and gives me all the things I want. I'm not sure where you got your information from.

18. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

8th gen Intel chips are out. Apple just needs to pull their fingers out.

19. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Perhaps Apple is doing a better job at preventing leaks and setting expectations low in hopes of surprising us? Ok, probably not, but please?

With the reports about A12X in iPad Pro, so many people didn't believe me when I said that we wouldn't see that at WWDC. It's not like Apple has a long history of updating iPad at WWDC. I think last year was the first time ever? iPhone always gets the new A-series first. But for a pro device, the iPad Pro should get the X version either at the same time or within a few months. It was slightly beat within a couple months when the iPhone 8 with A11 dropped last year—which aside from having a little less RAM beat it in Geekbench results.

I'm hoping that Apple is pushing back these releases to show us something truly amazing with regard to Marzipan iOS/macOS code unification and possibly A-series or similar chips for Macbooks. Perhaps the conflicting rumors about this year's WWDC and next year's WWDC for Marzipan is because Apple is going to show it off in the autumn or winter instead? You'd think they would need developers on board with workshops, sessions and everything unless it somehow just works out of the box with little work needed to be done. This could also be why the Mac Pro is coming out next year instead and they beefed up an iMac to fill the gap in the meantime. Apple doesn't like to dwell on the past too much so it's probably time for some big platform and architecture changes.

20. prism macrumors 6502a

I guess we are stuck for a while more with the CrapBook Pro...

21. nt5672 macrumors 68000

With Apple's poor performance lately, they should just change to announcing new products every 2 years. Its seems like it now takes apple 12 months to get announced products working correctly, or in some cases even released and nobody (read that as senior management) seems to care.

22. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

None of the 4 U series chips, being a Kaby Lake iteration rather than moving to Canon Lake, support LPDDR4. So we either get a wave of people bitching about the lack of 32GB RAM options, or we’ll get a wave of people that bought the 32GB RAM option and are now pissed at worse battery performance comparing year to year models (which never made sense to me, who the hell buys a new laptop every year?).

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well I do sometimes wonder that being forced to come out with certain things every year might be holding them back. Either it means new features are rushed or it means that they never address the bugs and issues with previous features.

24. DotCom2 macrumors 601

I guess you don't understand when someone is trying to make a point, sarcastically.:rolleyes:
    So here:
    The only thing they are going to release is a statement saying "Coming Soon" which PROBABLY means 9 months from now.
    There! Are you happy now? SHEESH!

25. Appleaker macrumors 68020

No, the delay is actually due to Apple this year.