Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Mac Pro - New powerful Hardware that needed Apps to take advantage of it (VR content creation focus)
    iPad Pro 10.5 - New screen size merits announcement to get developers to adjust their apps for resolution and ProMotion.
    HomePod - They're just showing off.

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Go on. Where is the LPDDR4 support in chips that are suitable for Apple’s machines?

3. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Ignore him, from previous interactions all this guy does is post negative stuff, I don’t even know why he’s on a Mac forum but some people are like that I find the best way is just to ignore.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

If this is the case, ask for new HomePods with Holographic Projections :p

5. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

lovely comment maybe cos im a apple fan and i post good things like im happy with ios 11.4 but im allowed to say what i think and say bad things when i can so chill out and stop adding to the bully list
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2018 ---
    you dont know me you dont dare say you do, im reporting you goodbye

6. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

If Apple announces a 6-core iMac I will love them forever! I'm using an incredibly powerful PC as my main workstation but Windows is killing me. Please Tim, make it happen!!!

7. ndude60 macrumors newbie

I really hope he is wrong. I have been holding off getting a new iPad since I saw the iPhone X, I’m itching to upgrade but would like FaceID and the A11 chip

8. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

What's the chances of iMac getting some attention? Looking to buy, but feel now would be the wrong time.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

iMacs were updated last year WWDC right? So, I think its possible they may get a minor refresh. I'm not sure what the timeline is of new intel chips though.

10. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

If they gonna focus on bug fixes, shouldn't it be iOS 11.5 ideally.

11. Mlrollin91, May 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2018

Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Ideally, yes, but that doesn't sound or look good. iOS 9 was a bug fix for iOS 8. It added a few new features, but was primarily to fix bugs.

Same thing with El Capitan for Yosemite.

12. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Make that an A12 (to go along with iOS12) and you gotta deal!

13. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

When do you guys think we'll see the new Mac Pro? I have 2009 cheese grater that is in need of replacing, but has been an awesome machine.

14. citysnaps macrumors 601

Excellent response. Some of the tantrums here remind of children not getting their way.

15. Appleaker, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

Appleaker macrumors 68020

Where's Apples press statement where they vowed to include LPDDR4 in this years models? They aren't waiting for Cannonlake for the 2018 MBPs.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think we’ll see the Pro and the new Apple Display (yes, they explicitly said one is in development) in the October/September timeframe, personally. Maybe a sneak peak is the best we can ask for in WWDC.

17. asdfjkl; macrumors newbie

asdfjkl;

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh....Apple always uses the LP variants, and it doesn’t take a computer scientist to read Schiller’s statements on power management and RAM for what they are:

Schiller: The MacBook Pro uses 16GB of very fast LPDDR memory, up to 2133MHz. To support 32GB of memory would require using DDR memory that is not low power and also require a different design of the logic board which might reduce space for batteries. Both factors would reduce battery life.

You may not like it, but Apple has been very firm on using LP RAM on their portables for many years now.

Personally, I think they SHOULD have a “powerhouse” variant of the MBP line, but I’ve watched this company and how it operates long enough to know it’s not going to happen.

I hope you didn’t read my (inelegant) tone previously as an attack, I didn’t mean for it to come of so rudely.

19. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Funny how those who want Apple to transition to ARM CPUs cite delays caused by Intel as one of the reasons. The delay is usually not with Intel...

If Apple were to actually keep the Mac current and competitive, only the 12" MacBook would have to wait until the fall. The hex-core chips needed for the iMacs and MacBook Pros are available right now, and it's very likely Intel would have been able to provide samples to Apple's hardware engineers at least six months ago.

20. KadMac macrumors regular

Wait, so basically everything is releasing at the end of the year? New iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, MacBook Air equivalent, etc?

That seems a little heavy on the hardware release side. How long would the keynote be for that? That would have to be like a 3 hour keynote. Just talking about new iPhones would be at least an hour, right?

Really disappointing if nothing is mentioned until the end of the year. That would mean basically nothing was released this year in terms of hardware updates other than the iPad school version earlier this year.

21. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Actually, a sneak peak at WWDC would be great. That would certainly help build excitement for what's to come. We'll see what Monday brings! :)

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

It seems that iOS 12 was originally planned to include more (per the article and previous rumors we've heard) and that these new features are now being pushed to iOS 13. Apple has committed to coming out with a new iOS number every year, so iOS 12 is coming out in 2018 regardless of whether it's just bug fixes. So yes, maybe iOS 12 will end up being more like 11.5, but Apple will never call it that because they must introduce iOS 12 this year no matter what.

Honestly, their numbering scheme is not an exact science. The difference between iOS 11 and iOS 12 probably won't be greater than the difference between Mac OS 10.12 and MacOS 10.13, yet it gets a whole new number.

There probably never will be a macOS 11.

23. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I didn't read it as an attack, don't worry :). I understand what you're saying, and while Apple may use non-LP RAM for the 15" this year, what I was trying to say is that they will stick with LPDDR3. it's not like Intel has dropped support for LPDDR3 with 8th gen chips so they do not need to wait before being able to upgrade them.

24. TheMigratoryBirds macrumors newbie

TheMigratoryBirds

Coffee Lake does require a 300-series chipset, while Kaby Lake only required a 200-series chipset -- though they still use the same socket design, which should make integration somewhat easier. In other words, your point stands as a realistic reason for why we may not see an MBP refresh next week.

As well, I think even if Apple has already made this design change, the recent lawsuits over the butterfly keyboard further diminish the chances of an update. While I don't expect a completely new redesign of the MBP this year at all, I wouldn't be surprised if the move to the new chipset is launched at the same time as Butterfly 3 with further improvements to keyboard reliability -- all of which points to an announcement later in the year.

Fingers crossed that my 2009 MBP can make it that long, but I'm hopeful. (I'm one of the few who really like the butterfly keyboard, but I'm hoping for announced reliability improvements before I get something new.)