Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier Pegatron is expected to win a contract that will see it manufacturing half of Apple's iPhone 6 supplies, according to a report from Taiwan's Liberty Times [Google Translate] as shared by AFP. Currently, Pegatron is responsible for assembling Apple's iPad mini and iPhone 5c while main Apple supplier Foxconn manages iPhone 5s assembly.

The report does not specify which supplier will take care of the other half of iPhone 6 orders, but it is likely that responsibility will fall to Foxconn. It is also unclear how manufacturing of the iPhone 6 will be split, as it is not yet known if Apple will continue on with its bifurcated product lineup that currently includes both the flagship iPhone 5s and the mid-range iPhone 5c.

Rumors have suggested that Apple could produce two versions of the iPhone 6 in two different sizes ranging from 4.7 to 5.7 inches and likely at two different price points, keeping with its new two-phone lineup.

arment_iphone_plus_galaxy.jpg
Left to right: iPhone 5, Galaxy S III, "5-inch iPhone Plus", Galaxy Note II (Source: Marco Arment)​
While Pegatron has long been a manufacturing partner for Apple, the Cupertino-based company shifted iPhone 5c production to Pegatron in 2013 in order to improve supply chain risk management, allowing Apple to expand its product lines and prevent potential supply chain disasters. Pegatron will reportedly build a new plant in Kunshan, China to keep up with demand.
In order to meet the demand, Pegatron has started building a new plant at Kunshan, a satellite city near Shanghai where all its iPhones are assembled, the Liberty Times said without identifying its source.

The paper said the Kunshan plant is scheduled to become operational in the middle of the year and start mass production late this year, when Apple is expected to roll out its iPhone 6.
Along with a larger screen up to 5.7 inches, Apple's iPhone 6 is also rumored to include a curved display and a faster and more efficient A8 chip. A report from this morning also suggested that the phone will continue to use an 8-megapixel camera sensor. Though it is not known when Apple will release the next-generation iPhone, fall of 2014 is a likely candidate given Apple's past device release history.

Article Link: Half of iPhone 6 Orders Expected to Go to Pegatron

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I honestly do not see an iPhone 6 happening this year. My take is we'll see a total revamp of the Mac Mini as radical as the Mac Pro and something on the iPod line addressing the smartwatch craze.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
honestly I do not want a bigger phone.

So don't buy one?

I currently think 4" is great because it fits in my hand perfectly, but with Apple, who knows, if they do make a 4.7" phone, maybe it'll be designed ergonomically in such a way that I'll be happy with it. But at the moment, I enjoy being able to use my iPhone 5 with one hand.

BryanElliott

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Santos
I've wanted an iPhone with a bigger screen for so long. I really hope it's true. I've played with 4.5 inch phones and it seems to be to sweet spot for me.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
It's getting on my nerves how everyone makes such a big deal about the 5C being "unprecedented" and a "all new phone" that "bifurcated the lineup"...or that it was "a flop" because it didn't sell as many units as the 5S.

The 5C is functionally almost identical to the iPhone 5. The only changes are the plastic shell and some insignificant internal tweaks.

Apple has been selling last year's model at a discount for years...that's nothing new. The only reason they switched it up a little is the aluminum unibody case was prohibitively expensive for a budget phone (I read that here on mac rumors last year - I don't care enough to dig it up). All they did was take the iPhone 5 and give it a new body. That's it. It is not a new phone - it's the 5 with a facelift. It does not bifurcate the lineup nor is it unprecedented- they've been selling last year's hardware at a discount for years. It was not a "flop" - they've never sold more of the old hardware than the new hardware. They may have thought they would because of the shiny new body, but they quickly saw they weren't and cut back their orders.

The 5C is nothing new. It is the iPhone 5 with a new body. They have sold their old technology at a discount for years. The 5C is nothing new.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
The phone is perfect as is. I hate that the market constantly increases the size of the phone. Before we know it, we'll be using iPad Mini's as phones. If they're going to increase the size, at least make multiple models. I know it is against their philosophy, but a 5.7" phone is too big for my hands.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I would likely buy a 4.7 inch iPhone, but not a 5.7 inch iPhone. I hope size is the only thing that distinguishes them if this rumor comes true.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I think adding another column of icons would be perfect. The current (5S) screen just seems too narrow.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
4.7 without big border bezel and home button or side sensor...

Bigger than that is too big, and please decent battery life no more thinner just to loose battery life.

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
I honestly do not see an iPhone 6 happening this year. My take is we'll see a total revamp of the Mac Mini as radical as the Mac Pro and something on the iPod line addressing the smartwatch craze.

I think they do a new phone update every year bro - it's not really an option. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I'm super pumped for a bigger iPhone. I would read so much more on the phone. I loved the big screen on a droid DNA I used, and can't wait for one for iOS. I would probably get the biggest one then buy a nano or something cheap for the gym.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Looking at LG G2 and its minimal side bezel, it is possible to fit a 4.5 inch screen on the current body of the iPhone, keep the Home Button (Touch ID sensor) the same size, and keep the top and bottom bezel symmetrically identical, without making the phone bigger in any dimension.

This way Apple can come out and say, we made the display bigger without making the phone bigger like others. Since, the phone won't be any bigger, no one will complain that it no longer is one hand operational.

As most of you out there, I do want a 5 inch iPhone, maybe even a bigger one, but I just don't see Apple doing it. Why? First off, by going to a 4.5 inch screen, they did make it bigger, so you will buy it (I know I will). Also, by going 4.5 inches they can save the 5 inch screen for iPhone 7 (which will be after iPhone 6S of course).

And we all know what iPhone 6S will have. A kinect like camera sensor (S for sensors), which will have great software to accompany it so that we all want to buy it.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013

So no iPhone this 2014?

----------

Maybe this is what Tim Cook meant by doubling down on security.

Or this rumors will only make Samesung confused...

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I guess it is easier to diversify your assembly process when you keep the same specs for longer.

Dubberton

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
So no iPhone this 2014?

----------

Or this rumors will only make Samesung confused...

They do a phone thing every year. It will probably continue the trend of being a fall release. Phones are a bigger market for Apple now so it is more important for them to keep releasing the new "latest and greatest" pretty often - more than any of their other products probably.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's getting on my nerves how everyone makes such a big deal about the 5C being "unprecedented" and a "all new phone" that "bifurcated the lineup"...or that it was "a flop" because it didn't sell as many units as the 5S.

The 5C is functionally almost identical to the iPhone 5. The only changes are the plastic shell and some insignificant internal tweaks.

Apple has been selling last year's model at a discount for years...that's nothing new. The only reason they switched it up a little is the aluminum unibody case was prohibitively expensive for a budget phone (I read that here on mac rumors last year - I don't care enough to dig it up). All they did was take the iPhone 5 and give it a new body. That's it. It is not a new phone - it's the 5 with a facelift. It does not bifurcate the lineup nor is it unprecedented- they've been selling last year's hardware at a discount for years. It was not a "flop" - they've never sold more of the old hardware than the new hardware. They may have thought they would because of the shiny new body, but they quickly saw they weren't and cut back their orders.

The 5C is nothing new. It is the iPhone 5 with a new body. They have sold their old technology at a discount for years. The 5C is nothing new.
But the iPhone 5 with a new body is new. I mean Apple never did marketing for the 4 after the 4S came out or the 4S after the 5. I see the 5C and it's successors as Apple's way of creating a portfolio within the iPhone line. And honestly does the average customer look at a Lumia 520 or Moto G or cheaper Galaxy phone as "last years technology"? I'll bet most people who bought a 5C couldn't care less about this. I'm using an iPhone 5 right now and I don't ever feel like I'm using old technology.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

Competitively, Apple can't afford to delay a new iPhone launch to 2015--that would be a huge gift to Samsung wrapped in a bow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.