Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Halide Developers Launch New 'Mark II' Photography App

unfunfionn

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I've always liked the app a lot and while I doubt I use it enough to justify the subscription, I'm happy to have a year to make that decision.

Did anybody sign up for the 10 day lesson thing and actually receive anything yet, or does it start tomorrow?

DexBell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2016
Been playing around with Mark II on my 11 Pro Max and Im impressed. Instant RAW is very cool. Here is a JPG, Instant RAW and Instant RAW with the auto enhance tool in the photos app. As usual, the JPG over-sharpens everything and the aggressive noise reduction blows out highlights and causes loss of details in most everything, especially the grass, plants and the purple flowers by the plants lower right. The Instant RAW still retains most the details in the photo while adding some color to the original RAW shot and its not nearly as noisy in the shadows as the original RAW. The Instant Raw with the auto enhance still retains the details for the most part but adds a little more punch to the colors and slightly lifts the shadows a bit. Well done Halide. Im going to be very interested to try this with the 12 Pro Max in a few weeks and test it against Apple Pro RAW!
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0404 copy.jpg

Reactions: zakarhino

meru890

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
I have a A7r4 and most people I know will take better snaps with 11PRO than with the sony.
At night/dark/overcast conditions? Almost guaranteed.
It's a fact. You are confusing target demographic which clouds your judgement. Watch latest review from McKinnon. You can tell he is a bit worried because the difference is actually very narrow at this point to anybody that doesn't have a trained eye.
Sure in the hands of a PRO/experienced shooter a 61MP camera with additional $2000 G lens will render better results but a great majority of people WILL NOT. ****, most people that try the a7 can't even get full sharp photo due to not so steady/experienced grip.

That's absolutely true. I would call myself a "professional" since companies pay me a lot of money for my services. But you cannot really compare a smartphone with a real mirrorless camera. Most of my work you cannot even recreate in a phone because my style is based heavy on focus / bookeh and this software stuff is just lousy. However the iphone is still an impressive camera and it's kinda funny because the statement of Peter Mckionnen is accurate as ****. Hence if you if you need a full sharp image where whole picture is in focus it's way easier with the iPhone than with professional equipment.... can't really do it with your 2500 dollar 1.4 lense, lol.

And this forum is just pure gold. How some people trying to justify their new 12pro with benchmarks / updated camera (when in fact the updates are really minor and pros don't use those phones anyway, because pro gear) but believing a 30 dollar software tool is too expensive.

By the way halide is a great app and manual control always allows you better results. Got the first version and now the second. But never really take any photos with my Iphone anyway. The automatic stuff of apple is also super impressive, for the sensor and everything the camera is a real beast and enough for most users.

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2003
A hot desert
i don’t see where spectre is built in now. Can someone show me where to set long exposure? Seems like a different app still (which is now crashing and not updated)

I’m actually happy they gave a £30 price for it for those who don’t want to subscribe. £10 a year or whatever if you’re more serious about photography is fine.

There are freaking weather apps charging £30 a year

ds2000

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
As a lightroom person, is this worth the switch? I like the idea of paying once and not this damn $5 /month for an app I use infrequently.

ds2000

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
This is a camera app, no a DAM/photo editor like Lightroom.

Lightroom does have its own RAW functionality and some shutter options too but you can't fix a bad source photo with lightroom. I'm interested to see how AppleRAW works later today.

match14

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Does not seem to take RAW + HEIC despite what the settings say. Seems to always produce RAW + JPEG. I not sure if Smart raw exists in this new app.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
There were really quick to fix, 2.0.1 finally let me skip the onboarding page. Will test the new update as soon as possible :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Was that Apollo?

Agreed. I pay $30 a year for Carrot weather (Tier 3). It's worth it for me. Others will say that's mad.

If I am not wrong, weather apps incur an ongoing cost for the developers every time they ping for weather. So the creators are not really earning as much as they might seem.

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
As a lightroom person, is this worth the switch? I like the idea of paying once and not this damn $5 /month for an app I use infrequently.

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been shooting with an iPhone exclusively for the last five years. And 10 years when using an iPhone with other cameras. For the most part I use LR for photos I really care about, especially ones that I'll print and frame. I've been using LR since 2008.

But often, I want to process when I'm out and about. I've used Polarr for a few years, but came back to the Apple photos app because it would do pretty much what I wanted to do; sans some flexibility.

Hoping Halide doesn't disappoint.

Yesterday morning at Ocean Beach in San Francisco:
Woman on the beach.jpg

Reactions: tunastink

stevet

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
$30 for a camera app? Lol, no thanks.
$36 for an iOS app? These devs are crazy. I would never charge that much.

When you consider the design, coding, and features this app has it's really not a bad deal. I understand the knee jerk reaction because there is already a camera app on the phone, but the amount of control you have over the camera settings is worth it to some people. This is like the Mac Pro pricing, it's not priced for the average user, its priced for the smart pros.

stevet

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
If you bought Halide 1, try the restore purchase.

However, it doesn't work for me even after deleting and reinstalling. What a cluster**k.

Restoring worked for me, I think whatever the issue was may have been resolved by the time I updated.

match14

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Been playing with Halide for the past two day and despite the promise of Smart RAW it’s Raw output is not any better than Obscura.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
A casual photographer wont buy this and a professional photographer probably got a dslr, I would consider bying it if it was like 10$

I've seen people say this a lot (MKBHD said this in his review for the Xperia phone) but I think it's a somewhat silly point to make. Yes, pros have DSLRs but you don't always have it with you as it's a huge, heavy thing.

You always have your small, lightweight phone on you and it has some very good camera hardware. Snapping a standard JPEG on an iPhone produces a pretty decent picture but if you want to create something incredible you need manual controls or RAW at the very least -- Halide gives you that power, it can be the difference between a decent looking 'quick snap' of something vs. a picture that could be framed.

Combine RAW capability with the plethora of desktop class editing software for iPhone and suddenly you've got yourself a mobile photography platform that has the best portability to quality ratio of any camera platform in existence right now. In fact most photographers I know say they love using their iPhone to take pictures in lieu of their DSLR setups simply because of its 'always there, always ready' status.

We don't even need to get into video capability but needless to say Filmic Pro + LumaFusion makes for better looking video than even some dedicated cameras for sale right now for twice the price.

$30 is nothing for a professional looking to push their mobile photography capabilities to the limit and it's a relatively steep but acceptable price for casual photographers looking to do the same (like me). The results speak for themselves, here's a couple of pics that won Halide's photo competition (I don't think I could capture these using the iPhone's built in app, do you?):

This one was taken with Spectre, the long exposure app created by the Halide team:

Reactions: Joseph C

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Please someone tell me I'm not imagining this - I downloaded the app yesterday to take advantage of the 7-day trial, and noticed that the one-time purchase price was £27.99 (i.e. pounds, not dollars). I've just looked on the app again and it now says it's £34.99!

h00ligan

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2003
A hot desert
That's absolutely true. I would call myself a "professional" since companies pay me a lot of money for my services. But you cannot really compare a smartphone with a real mirrorless camera. Most of my work you cannot even recreate in a phone because my style is based heavy on focus / bookeh and this software stuff is just lousy. However the iphone is still an impressive camera and it's kinda funny because the statement of Peter Mckionnen is accurate as ****. Hence if you if you need a full sharp image where whole picture is in focus it's way easier with the iPhone than with professional equipment.... can't really do it with your 2500 dollar 1.4 lense, lol.

And this forum is just pure gold. How some people trying to justify their new 12pro with benchmarks / updated camera (when in fact the updates are really minor and pros don't use those phones anyway, because pro gear) but believing a 30 dollar software tool is too expensive.

By the way halide is a great app and manual control always allows you better results. Got the first version and now the second. But never really take any photos with my Iphone anyway. The automatic stuff of apple is also super impressive, for the sensor and everything the camera is a real beast and enough for most users.
There is a bigger problem to me with using an iPhone for proper photography. The camera exposes for a full flash every single time. You can focus on a high range scene and manipulate to not blow the highlights- want to fill with flash? You can’t (at least that I’ve seen) as it resets to a general average exposure and the flash.
This is a huge big to me that Apple needs to fix. If I use a third part app to set manual exposure (or split it from focus) and activate the flash. Keep my damn exposure setting.

if anyone has a work around for this I’d love to hear it. It drives me nuts I can’t do this.

also I asked where spectre is built in. I can’t find the long exposure feature in halide v 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.