Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Halide Developers Launch New 'Mark II' Photography App

furbzv1

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2014
$30 is on the expensive side- but if the app is worth it and there is a use for it, then why not.
im sure if they would have come out with a $2.50 a month price, everyone would be complaining too, lol .

DexBell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2016
This would have been great a year ago. Now, with Apple putting out ProRaw for free, not sure what the benefit is. But I bought Halide, so I'll upgrade and play with it I suppose. Compare it to ProRAW

Last edited:

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Does it say free because this upgrade includes one year subscription for existing customers? Someone earlier mentioned that if you have to pay for it again after updating from previous version if you don't want to go subscription route and pay one-time purchase even though existing customers bought it in the first place thinking it was a one-time purchase.

Weird. Mine said it's free because I own the original version. It worked right away.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Let's be honest, this app (or ANY app out there) does not come close to even a $1000 mILC/DLSR. It's not the fault of the app, it's "just physics".

Acting like this only makes the situation worse because people think this app makes their camera in their phone the same as some high end gear.

It's a great app for what it does, but it is not magic. Lets stop with the silly comparisons here. Manual controls do not equal a large sensor with huge supply of glass.

Please stop ********ting.

"app that can come close to a $3000 DSLR"

It's an app, not a magic machine. It doesn't take the same photos as a 45MP Full Frame Nikon Z7. The noise is horrendous (as is to be expected by a tiny 1/2.55" sensor. Physics is physics after all)

I have a A7r4 and most people I know will take better snaps with 11PRO than with the sony.
At night/dark/overcast conditions? Almost guaranteed.
It's a fact. You are confusing target demographic which clouds your judgement. Watch latest review from McKinnon. You can tell he is a bit worried because the difference is actually very narrow at this point to anybody that doesn't have a trained eye.
Sure in the hands of a PRO/experienced shooter a 61MP camera with additional $2000 G lens will render better results but a great majority of people WILL NOT. ****, most people that try the a7 can't even get full sharp photo due to not so steady/experienced grip.

Last edited:

averagenerd81

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
I have a A7r4 and most people I know will take better snaps with 11PRO than with the sony.
At night/dark/overcast conditions? Almost guaranteed.
It's fact. You are confusing target demographic which clouds your judgement.
Sure in the hands of a PRO/experienced shooter a 61MP camera with additional $2000 G lens will render better results but a great majority of people WILL NOT. ****, most people that try the a7 can't even get full sharp photo due to not so steady/experienced grip.

All a totally useless comparison. Most people are not going to buy this app to begin with, they will use the regular camera app.

If you’re not getting better snaps out of an A7r4 then I’m not sure what to tell you.

It still isn’t a comparison to even entry level cameras. Manual controls plus a couple of extra little processing features does not make up for a large sensor.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
All a totally useless comparison. Most people are not going to buy this app to begin with, they will use the regular camera app.

If you’re not getting better snaps out of an A7r4 then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Reading comprehension FTW.
Also the fact you already figured out who will buy the app tells all.

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
'free for 1 year' You get all of the newest version 2 features for 12 months. I wanted to just bite the bullet now and spend the today reduced $30 lifetime and get it for cheaper than it'll be a year from now...and I wanted to support the developers who have worked REALLY hard on this.
I don’t think that works that way. If you previously had Halide you get Halide II complete for free. The only thing you are given for a year is the extras that come with the subscription (compared to the one time purchase) that, as of now, it’s just a few icons.

Hopefully the only difference between the full one time purchase Halide II and the subscription are minor things like alternative icons and not core functionalities.

Anyways maybe @Cocoi can clarify this better than me

Reactions: adamjackson

jib2

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
The updated version 2.0.1 fixed the problem and I got the free upgrade.
Contrary to what some people posted above, you receive version 2.0 free forever, PLUS a free updates for a year.

See the screenshot below from the app Settings, under membership.

A1380FEA-07D0-4629-ABCC-B59B3DBD9A32.png

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The updated version 2.0.1 fixed the problem and I got the free upgrade.
Contrary to what some people posted above, you receive version 2.0 free forever, PLUS a free updates for a year.

See the screenshot below from the app Settings, under membership.
Is there a way to make that the default icon? It's soooo good.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I had bought Halide 1 when it was first released which was by the way one-time purchase, so is this new upgrade free for existing customers, or is it just a free one year subscription?
And if its just a free one year subscription then are you offering any discount on one-time purchase to existing customers who paid for and supported Halide before thinking it was a one-time purchase?
I don't prefer subscription for a camera app and that's the reason I bought it earlier as one-time purchase. So, do existing customers have to pay again for a second one-time purchase? What's the guarantee that this pattern won't repeat again when the next upgrade is released for a third one-time purchase?

Hey folks, so sorry about that bug. There's an update out now and it's (correctly) free for everyone who got Halide v1. If you ran into issue please contact us directly. I hope you love the new update!

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Let's be honest, this app (or ANY app out there) does not come close to even a $1000 mILC/DLSR. It's not the fault of the app, it's "just physics".

Acting like this only makes the situation worse because people think this app makes their camera in their phone the same as some high end gear.

It's a great app for what it does, but it is not magic. Lets stop with the silly comparisons here. Manual controls do not equal a large sensor with huge supply of glass.

I don't think anyone is saying a phone suddenly replaces high end gear for all situations. In many situations phones have become very good, and in some situations like HDR environments better/easier to get a good picture. DSLRs still easily win in absolute sharpness, megapixels, and anything requiring real zoom. I say this as my 12 pro shows up tomorrow, and I look at upgrade my nikon dslr to the new z6ii coming out next month.

cocky jeremy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2008
Does it say free because this upgrade includes one year subscription for existing customers? Someone earlier mentioned that if you have to pay for it again after updating from previous version if you don't want to go subscription route and pay one-time purchase even though existing customers bought it in the first place thinking it was a one-time purchase.
Nope. Just free because I had the original version. I didn't signup for the free year either. I think their stuff is just bugged out right now. I'd assume they'll fix it on their site or release another quick update soon to fix it.

jz0309

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
I think it's a great app, but pricing is, kinda out of this world ...
doing a little bit of searching on Halide pricing reveals it started off at 2.99 and kept increasing to what seems to be the latest of 8.99 ... jumping to 36, wow ... I might pay 9.99 but not 36. iPhone does not replace my DSLR ...

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
I’m not sure he has an issue with it but many others definitely do.

So, you get the top of the line iPhone for $1099 minimum with the best camera system yet $30 for an app to take full advantage of the hardware is too much to ask...yeah ok. Give me a break.

Bunch of cheap asses on here who could care less if developers can pay their bills as long as everything is a one time purchase, no more than $10 or just plain free.

And yeah, pros probably aren’t going to buy this app because they have actual high end cameras and lenses but I won’t rip someone to shreds who does.

Totally agree. I have a new iPhone 12 Pro being delivered tomorrow. Taking photography seriously, I've been using Polarr for the last couple of years for in-phone processing. But have always been curious about Halide.

$30 for a well-supported app that works great and highly rated for me, is mice-nuts. Can't wait to try it out.

• Love
Reactions: mariusignorello
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.