Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewomble88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
I have an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.
Handoff simply doesn't work. The feature is switched on in the settings of both devices but if I start an email, text message - whatever, nothing flashes up on the other device. Doesn't work and never has.

Apple are really p'ing me off shouting oh so loud and proud about seamless feature integration and 'it just works'. No, it DOESN'T just work!!!!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Works fine here.

Is bluetooth turned on on all devices? Have you tried turning handoff off on all devices then turning it back on?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Although there are a few having issues with handoff (as documented by threads here and on other sites), for most of us, handoff works as it should.

The poster is obviously frustrated but has made an incorrect assessment.

Perhaps it is time for poster to move to another phone/tablet platform ?

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Sorry about your troubles and can't believe apple support couldn't' help that really sucks.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Works fine here, even on my 2009 Mac Pro that I upgraded with BT4.0. Handoff is great feature that I use every day actaully. I'd try calling AppleCare. Since its a new OS you have 60 or 90 days (I forget) of phone support.

(800) APL-CARE

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Handout works well for me, although I prefer using Google Drive or any one of a number of cross platform solutions that work just as fast and easy. It's all a matter of one's workflow and personal preferences.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I do it all the time and it works fine - using either the Send To option or double click home button and swipe to access handoff shows the route on my iPhone.

at first couple of days it didnt work for me. then i needed to send a route to the iphone and suddenly handoff and that personal hotspot shortcut started working, so i figured, maybe if op tries it?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Almost everything works fine here, with a 5C, Air 2, and cMBP 2012!

The only issue that I'm currently having is making/receiving phone calls from/on my MacBook, but it no big deal now since I use my iPad more.

slgray49

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
I have an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.
Handoff simply doesn't work. The feature is switched on in the settings of both devices but if I start an email, text message - whatever, nothing flashes up on the other device. Doesn't work and never has.

Apple are really p'ing me off shouting oh so loud and proud about seamless feature integration and 'it just works'. No, it DOESN'T just work!!!!

It didn't work for me either when I just turned it on. I eventually got it working after turning off/on iCloud on both devices and turning handoff off/on. Also make sure you turn on bluetooth on both devices. That is for some reason very important. Even after turning everything off/on it didn't work until I turned on bluetooth. Now it works flawlessly. I don't use it much except to make phone calls.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Switching everything off (handoff, that is) and restarting it worked for me. It used to be sporadic and worked here and there. Disconnecting all the accounts and then reconnecting them made everything work fine. This is why some people are reporting it hardly works at all, whereas some people are reporting no problems.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Do you have Bluetooth on? It needs to have Bluetooth on on both the iPad and the iPhone. Works perfectly for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 196

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Works perfectly for me. The only feature that takes sometime to 'initialize' are personal hot spots, but if I wait a few seconds i'm good to go

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Perhaps it is time for poster to move to another phone/tablet platform ?

Yeah, that makes sense. OP is having trouble getting a feature working, so he should sell his iPhone and iPad and buy an Android.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
This makes a difference...

I discovered that you need to go into Settings and make sure ALL references to your Apple ID email address are identical. I had some with my original ID (a gmail address) and others with my @me.com, which I prefer to use. Once I made them ALL my @me.com Handoff kicked in no problem.

Just to be sure, I also limited aternate email addresses to that same @me.com plus my cell number on my iPhone 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.