Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Hmmm, I'm starting to agree with that! iPhone does seem a little beneath it now. I like iPod Pro best; it matches their existing branding. Or iPod X (since it runs OS X).

But I'm sure all of those were on a whiteboard somewhere in a branding meeting, and got thrown out for various reasons.

MacPod!! [/slaps head]

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
"Phone" is 21st Century and Smart Marketing!

Hmmm, I'm starting to agree with that! iPhone does seem a little beneath it now.
Only if one sees a phone as just a phone--a device to call people. But phones are already being seen as more than that. Call it an "iPod Pro" and people will think it's for music and videos.

Call it a phone, and they know it's for phone calls, internet AND, given what phones are now beginning to do, music and maybe video. If you don't call it a "phone" then the casual consumer won't know that it's for communication purposes.

Besides, you saw the stats. There are people buying and using mobile phones who don't have a computer OR an iPod! None of those people can likely afford the iPhone right now, but the price will drop. And while they may say, "I don't need an iPod," they will say, "I do need a phone."

"Phone" is a wise name. Everyone knows what it is, and everyone knows how useful one is. An iPod is a luxury item. A phone is a necessary item (stuck in the desert? You need a phone, not an iPod). It's just smart marketing.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Time.com was given some information about the development of the Apple iPhone. Of particular interest, especially to those who follow Apple rumors, is a tidbit about how the iPhone interface came to be. According to the author, "a few years ago" Steve Jobs noticed all the research money spent into Tablet PCs and had a team of Apple engineers working on a tablet interface with touch screen.

- Can't download songs directly from iTunes Store
- Can't sync iPhone with a computer wirelessly.
- "Web speed was OK—not great, but OK."
- "Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one that’s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. "
- "It feels amazing in your hand"

I am troubled by the small amount of memory in Applephone.
If this device is supposed to replace our cell phone +iPOd, don't we need more memory?
8 Gig will not hold a music library or many vdeos plus photos etc.

The current iPods sold for Video use have considerably more memory-
So, for the money, should not Applephone come with 20Gig or 30Gig memory?

If I purchase an ApplePhone, I will still need an iPod to carry my music (I currently)have about7 Gig of music- classical and folk- on my three year old iPod.
That does not make sense.

While 8 GB is low for movies, don't forget the first iPod only had 5 GB. Besides, do you really need your WHOLE music, picture and movie library on your phone? I don't hear many people complaining about Shuffles having only 1 GB. While it would be nice to have a flash card slot (CompactFlash, Secure Digital, whatever), I don't believe you need to carry every single song, picture and movie you own on your phone.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
I actually had some questions that I don't see being asked here:

1) The keypad--do you have to use one finger? Text-messaging kids often use more. Could you, for example, tap away with two thumbs?

2) I assume, as on other phones, you can take a picture and e-mail it. Does it get added into your photo album? Can you manage it like those other photos? (Again, I assume the answer is "yes" but there was no such demonstration).

3) How smear proof is this phone? You hold it up to your ear--will you get smears on the screen? How do you clean it?

4) How fragile is it? How well does it withstand being dropped? Does it fit in your pocket or, like a blackberry, do you need a to carry it in a bag?

5) Those 5 hours of battery life--does that mean 5 hours when the phone is in use, but not when it's not in use? Or 5 hours period? If it's only when the phone is in use, how long does it last without recharge if you don't use it? (i.e., I go all day without using my iPhone. Is the battery still charged or does it low and needing a recharge?).

Any answers to these questions?

1. I would assume you can type just as you would on a keyboard, their online demo of typing seems to indicate this better than the keynote presentation.

2. Didn't really see that represented in the demo, but since it IS Apple...I'd say yes it does.

3. Not really sure on this one and I doubt others will be either until there are more hands on demos of this phone. One would hope it is somehow more "smear resistent" but even if it isn't....I imagine it can be cleaned with minimal effort and/or chemicals :)

4. This is a question I know I have as well....this is one of my MAIN questions actually. Not that I wanna be able to chuck the thing from half-court, hit the 3 pointer and still be able to walk over, pick it up and call Grandma in Florida mind you...but I do hope it can take a lickin and keep on...poddin'?

5. If I understood correctly...5 hours would be straight talk time...16 for audio usage only...more if on standby only.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
The one thing that I'm surprised not to be reading more about, is the REINVENTION OF UI - not just of mobile phones.

I know! And I hate how they are saying that Apple II only changed the industry. It changed the World! And Steve + Woz also made GUI. That in itself is HUGE! Its incredible, this is truly the second coming! To quote Time:

He's like Willy Wonka and Harry Potter rolled up into one.

Let's see where this goes, I'm really excited :)

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Only if one sees a phone as just a phone--a device to call people. But phones are already being seen as more than that. Call it an "iPod Pro" and people will think it's for music and videos.

I agree, and predict that a similar version of the iPhone will appear, although it will just be an ipod with touchscreen. That'll be called either the ipod pro (with original ipod still sold) or simply the ipod video and the original ipod disappears to avoid conflicting market positions.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
If I can't type one handed with my thumb like I can with my Audiovoxx PPC-6700 then there will be no way what so ever I'll be getting it. My phone is for quick multitaksing communication with business partners and friends. Not for stopping, sitting, and going ok I'm gonna pinch this and do that and do this "Oh wait what were you saying"

Cause on the Keynote Job's does everything on the Keyboard with two hands and that would not do at all...

spine

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
warwick RI
I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned it but...

I have a feeling iTunes may be renamed when leopard is released. It no longer manages just music anymore. With the release of Apple TV being managed by it and now the entire iPhone (which is way more than just a phone) it just seems odd that they would still call iTunes iTunes :p

Can anyone think of some cool names? iLibrary? iCatalogue?

As you can tell, I'm not having the most creative of days :p

How about iLife?
Maybe that's why iLife was not updated??

Digital Fury

macrumors member
I mostly disagree.

Wimax superceeds 3G and 4G cellular
And something else will superceed WiMax at some point, but it's a bogus argument.

They key element you forget is "will" because right now it's mostly non-existent and will be irrelevant for a good while, unlike 3G networks which are available worldwide right now - again the US lack of 3G is a very special case.
Battery dongle extends temporal power over removeable battery
And like all afterthought aftermarket hacks and dongles, it will be more expensive and bigger than if the feature was built-in.
No removeable slots, this is an all-in one
I guess then it doesn't have a slot for the SIM on the left side and a port for a dock, otherwise it's not an all-in-one device by your logic.
Net attached storage and net synch
But I thought it was an all-in-one, so I need to carry something else too???
Existing res camera also able to capture as a movie (1080-HD).
I have no idea what you mean.
Yes, user installable 3rd party apps, as disclosed on Leopard release.
Yes, GPS, I for one want that feature disableable or private.
I have no idea where you are getting this because I can’t find it in the ADC preview documentation myself – which document and page please?

Obviously if it were possible to install 3rd party applications Steve would have talked about it because it's on everybody mind and why not advertise that it has a built-in GPS if it has one? Probably because it doesn’t it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If you can't sync wirelessly, what exactly does bluetooth do? Why on earth would apple not allow wireless synching?

Bluetooth is a good for...
syncing, wireless headsets, wireless phone to phone transfer, in-car phone systems, wireless modem, remotes for presentations, just to name a few things...:rolleyes:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Why do people keep bringing up 'businness men' and 'corporate'. Who cares if the iPhone doesn't have features these people want. It doesn't need to sell to these people to succeed. I sure don't know any suits who have ipods and that's done fine.

They gave me the consumer device I wanted. The 'business men' can find something else for all I care.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Software doesn't change those hardware aspects on your Mac either. I think Starflyer was referring more to the ease of upgrading the phone's UI and OS. Which given the nature of Apple's approach here is going to be considerably easier than any cell presently on the market or in the near future.

I think many are also overlooking something else here. Look beyond the phone itself...beyond the product. Look at the UI. Maybe I am making too much of it but Multi-Touch is the real story here. The way we interact with a device is about to be changed again and once again it is Apple leading that revolution. Add voice interaction with the computer to this mix and goodbye keyboard and mouse. The next phase of computing is about to begin, this phone is just a peek of things to come. As Steve said, there are some incredible Mac products coming in the next few months. MAC...pro stuff...they have not forgotten who they are they've just added a missing piece of their puzzle for technological domination :D.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. :)

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Another question....

1. I would assume you can type just as you would on a keyboard, their online demo of typing seems to indicate this better than the keynote presentation..
You're right. The online demo does imply the use of two fingers (thumbs) to type away.

Here's another question: the screen adjusts for photos. Turn it sideways and they expand. And you can certainly use album search that way as well....

Can you turn the phone sideways for a LARGER and wider keyboard making for easier typing as well as viewing? Again, I don't see that demonstrated, but I'm guessing that you can turn the phone and the screen will adjust no matter what you're doing.

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
opportunity lost

in general. i'm not upset with the iphone. this step had to be taken. i may not be a part of the first step, but it's just the beginning.

but, (i went through a lot of pages, but not all, so if this is a repeat, then sorry) my main concern is this... apple had an opportunity to revolutionize the cell phone industry. it's so broken and backwards right now. and they joined right along with it. they could have licensed space and ran it themselves. granted, a serious endeavor, but that's what needs to happen. thus eliminating the million factors that play into joining a single provider (can't download songs, no control over contracts, more ugly logos, limited accessability, etc etc etc).

anyway, a huge opportunity lost (and i'm on cingular).

cblackmore

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
New York, NY
Stuck in the desert (or Presidio)...

Funny thing...
On my last trip to San Francisco, I got lost in the Presidio (on a rainy day with not a single soul around). And it was Google maps on my Treo that saved me. So true, I didn't need my iPod, I needed my phone :)

Marketing-wise, using Phone definitely makes a lot of sense. And yes, Phones are no longer just calling devices. It just seemed (and maybe I just read too much into it) that when Apple monikered "Pod" that they were deliberately signalling such a new paradigm and category of device that it warranted new terminology that wasn't dependent on what the general public was already familiar with.

You can go on forever with this kind of stuff.

Only if one sees a phone as just a phone--a device to call people. But phones are already being seen as more than that. Call it an "iPod Pro" and people will think it's for music and videos....

"Phone" is a wise name. Everyone knows what it is, and everyone knows how useful one is. An iPod is a luxury item. A phone is a necessary item (stuck in the desert? You need a phone, not an iPod). It's just smart marketing.

oliverlubin

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
anyone know the answers to these questions:

1. if I am within range of wifi signal and someone else is within range of the same wifi signal or network, will the phone have to use the Cingular network to make the call or is there some kind of rendezvous functionality built in? (edit: if it has not cleared the FCC and Jobs was really "talking" to those people, does that have any bearing on the question?)

2. if i am within range of a wifi signal and underground or away from a cellular signal can i still make a "call"?

3. how much will the monthly data plans/minutes plans be that Cingular "requires" with this 2 year contract?

i think the June date of release will prove to be in-line with the release of 10.5 which will also coincide with additional functionality of the iPhone that was not yet announced for any number of reasons... also, i agree with many who've said that .Mac integration was noticeably absent from any of the discussion.

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
Can you turn the phone sideways for a LARGER and wider keyboard making for easier typing as well as viewing? Again, I don't see that demonstrated, but I'm guessing that you can turn the phone and the screen will adjust no matter what you're doing.

I was thinking about this. It makes a lot of sense...

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
If I can't type one handed with my thumb like I can with my Audiovoxx PPC-6700 then there will be no way what so ever I'll be getting it.
Keep in mind that he was demonstrating it to an audience. From the look of the online demo, you can certainly type one-handed with your thumb. And just because you CAN pinch and adjust photos and such doesn't mean you have to.

Once again, I think the ideal for this phone, eventually, is for everyone to customize it to their needs. If a phone for quick multitasking communication is what you need, then you'll probably be able to adjust what the phone can do to make that a priority over listening to music or playing with photos.

Although I really don't see why you can't do that with the phone as is. From the online-demo, it seems that you can do that very quickly and easily. See here: Phone/Phone

So. What can't this phone do that you need it to do?

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
In either case, the actual interface is great groundwork for future products, such as iPods tablets and other gizmos. I like the clickwheel though, I'd hate to see that item be discarded.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I love the iPhone. Fantastic.

But....

We need a bare bones iPhone. Maybe with just contact info, 2gig and music. that's it and priced at maximum $300

and pleeeeessssseeeee..... another carrier besides Cingular:eek:

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I don't see why wireless sync matters. Every night you will have to dock iPhone to charge, everything will sync while your sleeping.

My "home" computer is in an upstairs den but I want the charging cradle on my dresser downstairs where my put my wallet and keys every evening. I'm hoping the cradle can be plugged right into the wall like my iPod one can and that would trigger a WiFi sync to my PowerMac.

Today, I hate having to take my iPod upstairs and every day to sync up my podcasts. I've been thinking about ditching it and finding some kind of aux-in for my Palm T|X and start using it as my podcast player.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I've only skimmed through this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned... But, if you watch the keynote again - specifically the part where Steve talks about the OS and 'solid foundations, etc.' - you'll see that he clearly emphasizes that the benefits of using OS X are that it enables them "to write apps; it's got cocoa; it's got core animation built-in...it's got all the stuff we want". Maybe it's just me, but I take from that that it's going to be opened up to wider development.

Exactly; not to mention that the Widgets the iPhone uses just cries out for 3rd party development. I bet at WWDC, 3 things will happen: The iPhone will be released, Steve Jobs will demo the final version of Dashcode which will allow you to write Widgets for the phone, and a small update to iTunes will be released, which will allow you to sync your current Mac OS X widgets with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.