Hands-On With an iPhone 8 Dummy Model

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the prospective launch date of the new 2017 iPhone models just weeks away, iPhone 8 dummy models, printed mockups, and clones have been circulating regularly, giving us an idea of what to expect with Apple's radically redesigned edge-to-edge OLED iPhone is unveiled.

We got our hands on one of the high-quality iPhone 8 dummy models that's been making the rounds thanks to MobileFun and Olixar, and we've done a hands-on video to give MacRumors readers a close look at the design of the device and how it measures up to existing devices.

Our iPhone 8 dummy is silver, and with the glass backing, it looks almost like a liquid silver. The front features an edge-to-edge panel, and both the front and the back are encased by a stainless steel frame that matches the silver hue of the body.

There are thin silver bezels at the front of the device, and there's also a "notch" that houses the speaker, front-facing camera, and sensors, with this setup being used to enable a new facial recognition feature.

On one side, there's an elongated power button, while the other side houses standard volume buttons and a mute switch. At the bottom, there's a Lightning port and speaker holes, but no headphone jack.

When it comes to size, the iPhone 8 is slightly larger than an iPhone 7 and much smaller than an iPhone 7 Plus, but its display size is similar to the display of the iPhone 7 Plus because it does away with all of the thick bezels. This is a dummy model so it's not a functional unit, but the smooth glass back is believed to enable an inductive charging feature that will let the iPhone 8 work with wireless charging accessories.

The dummy model we have on hand is silver, but there are also dummy models available in a deep black and a sort of copper gold, and we've heard rumors suggesting the iPhone 8 (and the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus) will only launch in three shades - silver, gold, and black.

We can't be 100 percent sure the dummy models we've seen are accurate representations of what we can expect when the iPhone 8 launches, but they match up with leaked factory specifications, part leaks, CAD drawings, and information culled from the HomePod firmware Apple released in late July.

For that reason, we believe the dummy model in the video offers up a clear look at what Apple's iPhone 8 looks like.

Article Link: Hands-On With an iPhone 8 Dummy Model

2. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors regular

BaltimoreMediaBlog

"Hands On" with a DUMMY MODEL? REALLY???

Is it April Fools Day again already? Or is this The Onion?

3. Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

While the dummy looks close to what actual iPhone may look like but that top notch looks ugly with white front, Atleast it should be black so it blend in with display better.

4. ghostface147 macrumors 68010

ghostface147

Interesting I guess. Is it worth what could be 1k to 1.2k? Who knows, especially if it drops touch ID for facial recognition.

5. chriscrowlee macrumors 6502a

chriscrowlee

Am I the only one that's concerned with the timeline here? There have been no less than 10 leaks that Apple is having production issues, and that there are high defect rates, and that they are having difficulties with certain features, etc... and now the rumor says they're going into mass production amid all of these rumors? A bit scary... especially given Apple's track record with issues in software\hardware.

6. SigEp265 macrumors regular

I really just can't fathom Apple having an unsightly top bezel like that. :/

7. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

8. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

every iteration seems to get uglier than the previous.
    the last good looking iphone was the 5S.

9. MLVC macrumors 6502

I still think the top notch will be black on all models. I just can't imagine Apple making that silver. If it's black, I'm tempted to get a silver model (again).
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---
    There are rumors about production issues, delays etc. every single year. I would start to worry if there aren't any rumors like that at all.

10. X--X macrumors 6502

Nooooooo, why is the phone even bigger?

iPhone 7 already the max size for me, wouldn't the benefit over "edgeless" be that you can make a more compact phone but keep the same screen size.

I'm out, I don't want an even bigger phone.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Looks good to me. But functionality is key. I'm definitely curious about the top cutout decision. It doesn't really bother me, but my status bar is usually already full with icons (and the clock!). I can't imagine how everything would fit in those little notches, and if they have 2 rows for the status bar it would look bad and make the extra space moot anyway...

12. Someirishguy macrumors newbie

Someirishguy

I bet the three models will be called:

iPhone
    iPhone plus
    iPhone pro

or

iPhone 8
    iPhone 8 plus
    iPhone 8 pro

Apple will say there are enough changes to skip the 's' this year.

Apple have to drop the numbering at some point, iPhone 17s won't exactly role off the tongue in 20 years time..

13. Sunny1990, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

14. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Should have showcased the black model you have due to the front. I sell these dummy models and refuse to sell the other colors due to the white front. I don’t expect it to be something that we end up seeing, but perhaps it looks a lot better on the actual phone.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

If this dummy model was running a version of iOS, then they would we would have something more to discuss.

16. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Interesting, looks okay if they're going to have a place for all the sensors. Even if they drop the fingerID the aura of having the latest and very physically noticeable iPhone will be a big motivator for sales despite the price.

17. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I think all of these mockups are accurate, but have one glaring incorrection.

The front panel will be black for all phones. Why? Well the front panel doesn't really matter anymore, since it's all going to be a screen (compared to prior models). Additionally, it will hide all the cameras and sensors that make this new iPhone tick. Furthermore, we should expect the top "row" of the iPhone to usually be black, since it will still primarily be used for the status bar, akin to this:

[​IMG]

18. Delgibbons macrumors member

Delgibbons

It's a nice looking phone. I'm getting the Note 8 as I'm an Android guy phone wise. I use my iPad all the time for workhorse webbrowsing around the house, but the iphone 8 does look nice, come on! Don't get the hate really.

19. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I've loved them all!

20. chriscrowlee macrumors 6502a

chriscrowlee

Usually it's just about shortages, which we know to be the case every year. This is the first year where it seems like they're really struggling with a lot of aspects of the device.

21. BD1 macrumors 6502

If there is a notch I will definitely get black phone. If there is no notch I might get the silver because I like the way it frames the phone screen with very small bezels. Will look good even when the phone is off. With a black screen it all blends together and when the screen is off it doesn't look much different from an iPhone 7. Will need to see when released. I am sure all colors will look better than these mockups.

22. jacobh101 macrumors member

23. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It’s amazing how much smaller the body is than the 7+ but the screen is larger. Looking forward to picking one up.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I’m not convinced about the white front. I have a feeling all fronts are going to be black now since there’s next to no bezel and just the notch for the camera/sensors. Black would make it blend in when the device is off.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603