Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first orders for the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro, which was introduced at the Worldwide Developers Conference last week, started arriving to customers today, and the new tablet, along with its larger 12.9-inch sibling, became available for purchase in Apple retail stores this morning.

With the 10.5-inch iPad Pro out in the wild, our videographer Matt was able to get his hands on one, and he spent the day testing it out and making a video that shows off all of the new features.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro is slightly larger than the 9.7-inch iPad Pro it replaces, but the size and weight difference is hardly noticeable, especially when you take in the much larger display. Apple was able to introduce a 20 percent larger display by shrinking the iPad's bezels by 40 percent.

The iPad's display has an awesome new feature -- ProMotion. ProMotion introduces a 120Hz display refresh rate, which brings smoother, more responsive animations and motion response. For example, there's a dramatic difference when you scroll. It's smooth enough that you can read the text that's scrolling by.

ProMotion also allows for a better experience with the Apple Pencil, bringing 20ms latency, and it can dynamically adjust the refresh rate to save battery when the higher refresh rate isn't needed. The display also supports P3 wide color gamut, True Tone for auto white balancing, and it is 50 percent brighter at 600 nits.

Inside, there's an A10X Fusion chip, so it's incredibly fast, even compared to the speedy 9.7-inch iPad Pro with an A9X Fusion chip, and it uses the 12-megapixel iPhone 7 camera. If you're someone who likes to take photos with an iPad, the image quality here is impressive. There's also a 7-megapixel front-facing camera for selfies and FaceTime. Second-generation Touch ID, four speakers, USB 3 transfer speeds, and fast charging, are all included features. Even with the much faster processor and the brighter display, the iPad Pro continues to get up to 10 hours of battery life on a single charge.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro isn't cheap, though, with an asking price of $649 for the 64GB model. 256GB of storage is available for $749, and 512GB of storage is priced at $949. Cellular connectivity is also available for a $130 premium.

All of the features in the 10.5-inch iPad Pro are also built into the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, so there's feature parity between the two models for the first time. Pricing on the larger-screened 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $799.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New 10.5-Inch iPad Pro

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
I made the mistake of playing with it in the Apple Store today. I don't "need" it - my 9.7" iPP isn't that old, but the screen is sharp and beautiful. I used the Pencil with Procreate, and it was very nice, but I think touch latency is not improved and may be worse. When trying to move layers in Procreate, I had a much harder time getting it to work - but is the reason the touch or does the app need to be updated.

Reactions: StyxMaker and LiveM

AppleFanBoyCAN

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
This iPad Pro 10.5 should be illegal on the tablet market... It blows everything else out of the way!

By the way: Has the touch latency been reduced as well, or is it just the Apple Pencil latency that has been reduced?

Went to the store today, I thought this would all be marketing but the doubled refresh rate is amazing!!! Everything looks much smoother! I was really impressed! :( (sad face cuz I feel like I need to spend money again!!)

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
I made the mistake of playing with it in the Apple Store today. I don't "need" it - my 9.7" iPP isn't that old, but the screen is sharp and beautiful. I used the Pencil with Procreate, and it was very nice, but I think touch latency is not improved and may be worse. When trying to move layers in Procreate, I had a much harder time getting it to work - but is the reason the touch or does the app need to be updated.

The app may have not been updated at the store. I know in the latest update notes it mentioned full support and optimization with the ProMotion 120Hz.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I'm not really that interested with it because I use macOS and Windows 10 but my wife wants her Air 2 replaced for the holidays so hopefully we will find a deal then.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Looks awesome. 64gb for the entry-level model is great. Sign me up...
[doublepost=1497392603][/doublepost]
Take the damn rear camera off this thing, and get USB-C on it too.
It doesn't need USBC, it has Lightning and you can get a USBC-to-Lightning cable. By using the slightly smaller Lightning I can utilize the same exact cables I already have everywhere in my home -- same cable for my phone, tablets, mouse, remote, and headphones. That's super convienent with no downside.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
UPS guy came at 2:30 PM. iOS 11 beta 1 running on it 20 minutes later. Restoring 12.9" iPad pro backup. It has 4 times the capacity of my 128 Gb Pro :). I think it and the iPad Air 2 are both going on eBay.

My sister mentioned she needed a new one. I think her 3 is ready to be retired. She'll be getting a surprise year old iPad Air 2 from me she just doesn't know it yet. ;)

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple didn't have the courage to get rid of the headphone jack on this thing?
Should be obvious but different devices have different use cases and constraints. Surely even a hater can see that a giant ipad has much more free space than a phone.

Love my iphone 7 without a legacy audio port. No problem with my always-charging AirPods, and the wired backups.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This iPad Pro is horrendously good. It absolutely creams the closest competitor; and the only competitor that's anywhere close is the previous gen iPad Pro.

The A10X is a powerhouse. (6 Core/2.4GHz) 120 HZ, 4GB of Ram, Packed into the Promotion display. Not to mention the Tru-Tone display, quad speakers and Apple Pencil is at 20ms latency due to the new display, which makes it how much more effective for drawing/sketching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.