Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is the official launch day for the 10th-generation iPad and the M2 iPad Pro models that Apple announced last week, and we picked up one of each of the new tablets to give MacRumors readers a look at what's new.

The updated 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are not particularly exciting, as Apple has not introduced any design changes or major feature updates. We did not get the rumored MagSafe charging, the reverse wireless charging, or any other notable additions.

Apple added an upgraded M2 chip, which is the same chip that's in the MacBook Air. It brings up to a 15 percent improvement in CPU speeds and up to a 35 percent improvement in GPU performance compared to the M1, but the M1 was already pretty robust, so casual users are not going to notice the upgrade.

There is a new Apple Pencil hover feature that allows the display to detect the Apple Pencil when it's 12mm away from the screen for new sketching, drawing, and interface functionality, plus there's WiFi 6E support for faster connection speeds, but that's it. There's no reason to upgrade if you have an M1 iPad Pro, and it's even a questionable upgrade if you have an A12Z or A12X model.

The low-cost iPad got a much bigger update, but it's unfortunately not as low-cost anymore, with pricing that starts at $449 instead of $329. It no longer has thick bezels and a Touch ID Home button, with Apple instead transitioning to the same Touch ID power button used for the iPad Air and the iPad mini.

There is more available display area (it now measures in at 10.9 inches) and a range of bright colors to choose from, plus it is equipped with a faster A14 Bionic chip. There's an improved 12-megapixel rear camera and it is the first iPad with a landscape front-facing camera, which is useful if you use it in landscape mode with a keyboard.

The low-cost iPad has also gained USB-C and 5G connectivity, plus Apple designed a Magic Keyboard Folio for it, so it's actually quite a bit like the iPad Air. In fact, Apple has made the iPad line a bit confusing with the addition of the iPad because it is so similar to the iPad Air. It's essentially an iPad Air without an M-series chip.

If you have a prior-generation low-cost iPad, it is without a doubt a notable upgrade, and it continues to be $150 cheaper than the iPad Air.

What do you think of the new M2 iPad Pro and the 10th-generation iPad? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New 10th-Generation iPad and M2 iPad Pro

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
To me the price and Apple Pencil dongle debacle ruins the 10th gen. I’d have rather not have the camera there and gained 2nd gen pencil capability. I’ve said it a few times already, get the 9th or a refurb air 4, much better values either way. With that plus the price of the keyboard you might as well even get an M1 Air. Just an odd move.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
To me the price and Apple Pencil dongle debacle ruins the 10th gen. I’d have rather not have the camera there and gained 2nd gen pencil capability. I’ve said it a few times already, get the 9th or a refurb air 4, much better values either way. With that plus the price of the keyboard you might as well even get an M1 Air. Just an odd move.
Especially since you can pick up the 9th gen on sale for $279, so if price is your biggest factor 100% go that way, if its not then just get the Air for the laminated display + M1

sorgo

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2016
Porte des Morts
After contemplating a 10th gen iPad, I ended up going with an M1 Air...Macbook, that is. Just a far better value with discounts and trade-ins. Someday I might get an iPad mini (7th gen, maybe?) as a "bridge" between iPhone and Mac, but for now I'm so happy with my decision and done with pretending to use overpriced iPads as computer replacements.

edhudley

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
Can you do a side by side comparisonM1 iPad Pro with WiFi6 to M2 iPad Pro with WiFi6E? It is important to those of us with WiFi6E mesh networks.

After contemplating a 10th gen iPad, I ended up going with an M1 Air...Macbook, that is. Just a far better value with discounts and trade-ins. Someday I might get an iPad mini (7th gen, maybe?) as a "bridge" between iPhone and Mac, but for now I'm so happy with my decision and done with pretending to use overpriced iPads as computer replacements.
Good call on the M1 MBAir. You should get the iPad 16" model next year with me. You will be happy :)

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Have an M1 air and it’s my favorite MacBook of all time. You’ll enjoy it. Also have a mini 6 and it’s a perfect iPad for bedtime reading. Enjoy your M1 Air!

Wanted797

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Odd? You just upsold a basic iPad customer an overkill M1..

PauloSera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2022
The whole Apple Pencil debacle is uninteresting to me, because I just don't see the low end iPad as being a target for Apple Pencil use.

What gets me is the creation of an entirely new tier that has no identity, and whose price is now outside the realm of many use cases. The $300 iPad is an important market, and they just dropped their commitment to it, by leaving that product untouched and out of date, probably for the next few years now.

But because of the price gap between 9th gen iPad and iPad Air, Apple saw an opportunity to upsell people who come in looking for the cheapest iPad.

terrapinjess

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
The whole Apple Pencil debacle is uninteresting to me, because I just don't see the low end iPad as being a target for Apple Pencil use.

What gets me is the creation of an entirely new tier that has no identity, and whose price is now outside the realm of many use cases. The $300 iPad is an important market, and they just dropped their commitment to it, by leaving that product untouched and out of date, probably for the next few years now.

But because of the price gap between 9th gen iPad and iPad Air, Apple saw an opportunity to upsell people who come in looking for the cheapest iPad.
Don't see the (low end) iPad as a target for Apple Pencil use? As someone who bought an iPad almost exclusively for digital drawing and note taking for house projects, I'd say the number one reason for me not getting the new iPad is because of the "pencil debacle."

My personal perspective is to buy the cheapest iPad I could, while also future proofing to a degree, and also enabling me to use the "latest and greatest" with the best portability.
My iPad Air 4 just so happened to cross every of those boxes: USB-C, Pencil 2, portability, brand new at the time it came out. I'd only upgrade to an M1 Mini if and when that comes out IF it has pencil 2 support, or I'd go for the newer M1 iPad Air.

I'll never downgrade and buy an iPad that doesn't support Pencil 2 or newer.

Gengar

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Don't see the (low end) iPad as a target for Apple Pencil use? As someone who bought an iPad almost exclusively for digital drawing and note taking for house projects, I'd say the number one reason for me not getting the new iPad is because of the "pencil debacle."

My personal perspective is to buy the cheapest iPad I could, while also future proofing to a degree, and also enabling me to use the "latest and greatest" with the best portability.
My iPad Air 4 just so happened to cross every of those boxes: USB-C, Pencil 2, portability, brand new at the time it came out. I'd only upgrade to an M1 Mini if and when that comes out IF it has pencil 2 support, or I'd go for the newer M1 iPad Air.

The mini is often on sale for $399 and it has a better processor, so I’d spring for that over the new iPad, if I was in the market for a lower cost iPad.

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Can you get the Apple Pencil 1 to work by using a USB-c to lightning cable with the original (lightning to lightning) dongle?

PauloSera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2022

No, I don't, because there are a ton of use cases for iPad that do not involve Apple Pencil, and it's fine for devices in the lineup to reflect that. There are a ton of customers that will never buy an Apple Pencil. In fact probably most of the low-end iPad customers do not buy Apple Pencil. More than most. And this is truer for the low end iPad than it is for mid and high.

For people who are a bigger fan of the Apple Pencil than they are of iPad itself, I'm unmoved and unconvinced that the lineup needs to reflect you at all.

Reactions: stinkhorn9

Samuel Sosa

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
This iPad is a beta test to see what users like and dislike about it. Next round of iPad Pros will have the best features of this iPad. iPad line up will also be smaller. iPad mini, iPad, iPad Pro. I think the base and Air will be gone by mid next year. In the past when apple has an "Air" series it's just to word on the new base model. Its only a matter of time before the MacBook Air is a MacBook again

djadamjay

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
He says the new iPad is an A15. It's A14.

If only it were A15, for that price. No, if you want an A15 you have to get the 1 year old iPad mini.

Such an odd product lineup, this one. I'll hold out for the M1 iPad Mini, hopefully next year and sooner than later. Love my M1 Air and M1 Mac mini

Reactions: sorgo

sorgo

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2016
Porte des Morts
The mini is often on sale for $399 and it has a better processor, so I’d spring for that over the new iPad, if I was in the market for a lower cost iPad.
It’s silly to me they didn’t just slap an A15 in this one to bring more parity with the mini. I’m no analyst or accountant but it seems like it would’ve made the overall price easier to swallow and perhaps extra interest (and sales) could have offset the cost. But what do I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.