Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah you would think so. I was thrown off in the video when he said he could not even try the pencil until they got the backordered adapter?? I guess as users get these in their hands might get more info and see if the cable solution you mentioned works or not
Maybe he could test it with a lightning cable and lightning adapter.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Maybe he could test it with a lightning cable and lightning adapter.

From all the comments I've seen online and heard in podcasts since the 10th gen was introduced, I'm beginning to think that lots of gen 1 Pencil owners never realized there was a female Lightning to female Lightning adapter in the gen 1 box.

Btw, both are sold in the box now. And it's curious how they named the new adapter, so who knows if it's got a special chip in it or not. I'd be pissed off if I owned the 1st Gen Pencil, and had a USB-C to Lightning cable (as all newer iPhone owners do) and I had to wait for the back ordered adapter.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
For the current price of the new Gen 10 iPad, Apple should have put the A15 chip in it. I’m sure they didn’t because of the iPad Mini.

Reactions: brucemr

wmmead

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2017
Davis, California
The gen 1 apple pencil I believe came with this little adaptor, as shown in the attached photo (assuming this little thing has not been long since lost). Can you not just plug that into the pencil on one end and a lightning cable on the other, and then the other end of the cable into one of the many 5 watt wall adaptors floating around the world and charge your pencil?

I always thought a pencil sticking out of the iPad was a bit awkward, to say the least.

p.s. sorry for the macro photography grime.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: GuruZac

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am still using my 2018 11” iPad Pro for drawing as well as video & photo editing. Works great. I was going to upgrade to the M1 iPad Pro, but the 11” never got the mini LED screen like the 12.9”. So i won’t be upgrading to the M2 either since once again the 11” failed to get the mini LED screen. However, I heard a rumor that both the 11” & 12.9” iPad Pros will be getting OLED screens next year, so I will wait until then to upgrade.

Reactions: C3R2 and GuruZac

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The gen 1 apple pencil I believe came with this little adaptor, as shown in the attached photo (assuming this little thing has not been long since lost). Can you not just plug that into the pencil on one end and a lightning cable on the other, and then the other end of the cable into one of the many 5 watt wall adaptors floating around the world and charge your pencil?

I always thought a pencil sticking out of the iPad was a bit awkward, to say the least.

Charging probably, but pairing is the unknown.

• Disagree
Reactions: brucemr

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Most device upgrades are not going to be revolutionarily exciting. Most upgrades are going to be evolutionary and incremental. Thats the reality of business and development.

The M1 was the big game changer and from here on for awhile it will be incremental upgrades. And there are limited ways you can design a tablet and for it to remain reconizably a tablet. Ditto with a laptop.

Considering most tablets likely end up in a case where only the bezels and screen are visible the introduction of multiple colours isn't that big a deal. Instead of multpule colours they could have gone with blue and starlight (or something else instead of grey and silver) and called it a day.

The biggest change is the price gouging for the 10th Gen iPad and thats not a change that reflects well on Apple. They parts binned a cheaper iPad Air and essentially told mainstream iPad buyers they could go play with themselves.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I am still using my 2018 11” iPad Pro for drawing as well as video & photo editing. Works great. I was going to upgrade to the M1 iPad Pro, but the 11” never got the mini LED screen like the 12.9”. So i won’t be upgrading to the M2 either since once again the 11” failed to get the mini LED screen. However, I heard a rumor that both the 11” & 12.9” iPad Pros will be getting OLED screens next year, so I will wait until then to upgrade.
Good plan. I'll keep my M1 12.9 for a couple more years at least. There are things about iPadOS that really frustrate me, but every time I sit down and use my iPad, I do enjoy it. I had to upload paper log sheets to my school and the ease of using Genius Scan app, converting to a PDF, digital signing with the pencil, and uploading online was just too easy. Now that I've download Ventura on my M1 MBA and can see how merged iPadOS and macOS are becoming, and how good Stage Manger works on macOS where you place and resize windows any way you want, there's a lot of potential still left tin the iPad.

Reactions: Greenmeenie

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Yes, it came with that adapter. And that was the normal way to charge it when you were at home or office or wherever you kept that little adapter. I keep it in my home office desk and still have it though the Apple Pencil it came with is long since dead and discarded. The stick it into the iPad solution always struck me as a solution for "on the go, but forgot to charge your pencil." It also charged so quick, five minutes of charging basically got me through whatever I might be doing on the go. But my use case was scribbling notes on documents and signing agreements and not stuff like drawing. So it was pretty short term usage.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I ordered my 11 inch iPad Pro yesterday. Past time to update my first generation iPad mini. Bought the case but not the pencil. Maybe later on the pencil but I didn't see a need for one now.

Rappo

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I picked up my 12.9” pro yesterday. While tinkering I found that it can’t see or connect to my 5GH Wi-Fi network. 2.4GH is ok and I don’t have a 6e router so can’t check the 6GH bandwidth.
can others with new 12.9“ pro please check your Wi-Fi.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That’s probably what will happen in the interim. Use a usb c to lightning cable to pencil adaptor to 1st gen pencil. Works with the 10th iPad as well.

C3R2

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
I bought and am expecting today the new iPad Pro 12.9. I have the iPad Pro 12.9 from 2018, which if you will remember, is the first generation of the iPad Pro in it's current form factor. I'm feeling a bit silly about spending the money because really, the 2018 version works perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with it, nothing I do with it that I can't do any more. I'm hoping the better screen and updated processors and such will help make me feel less foolish about it, but time will tell. Apple will give me $290 as trade in for the 2018 iPad Pro, which takes a little bit of a bite out of the price. I really hope it wasn't all a big fat waste of time and money (no interest in a 16" iPad pro, the current size is perfect for me).

Thanks Dan for the great videos and showing the features. I always appreciate your videos.
I’m still using 12.9 pro 2018 as a main work machine. Still a great machine. Interesting that the 2018 beats the 2020 in some stats, though m2 would kill. I know ipados 16 will have some features I will use, fortunately 2018 is supposed to use the new os features. However, might start seeing lag with the multi window feature. We will see. (Editing 1 hour audio files does tax the ram in 2018 though…)

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Reactions: sorgo †

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I got the surface Laptop studio for windows work and the first thing I did was turn off the hover function.
The lack of it on the iPad Pro is something I always enjoyed.
I just find it distracting when using the pencil for sketching / modelling etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.