Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
You can pair them with your tv. You just have to do it the old school way. It doesn't take advantage of the W1 chip features.
I thought so. I was trying to pair under the Audio and Video -> Audio Output screen, but it has to be done under Remotes and Devices -> Bluetooth (link).

Thanks!

John

tddylng

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
Grand Rapids Michigan
I bought them, loved them as I grocery shopped and such, but as a dad of a 9 month old, having the wires in front of my face instantly became an impossibility. Even in "necklace mode" he would just grab at em. Loved W1 chip tho, so I Returned and grabbed Powerbeats3 for same price on sale and love em. Same sound quality plus I love not being worried about sweat when I take em to the gym. I wanted the BeatsX to be the winner, just wasn't in the cards for me.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
A few more hours with the BeatsX and here's my opinion (Compared to the Powerbeats3):

Once you get the cord to lay the way you want (it is a tad long), using the smaller piece to keep it snug in your ear and the medium tips, I find the BeatsX more comfortable.

I was disappointed with the highs and mids at first (bass is great), the BeatsX seem to "open up" the more I listen to them. Battery life is pretty good and I LOVE the convenience of charging with a lightening cable (I don't carry a micro USB in my car for example).

I used compy tips with my powerbeats3 but I don't like them with the BeatsX, the OEM tips are fine. Both pairs sound very similar, the powerbeats3 might sound a TAD better (iPhone 7 with no EQ). Both get plenty loud for me.

In the end, I think I like the BeatsX better, I don't get too sweaty working out and these are more comfortable (not as big and bulky on your ears). I really wish I would have put an order in for Airpods, I want to try them but I hate waiting :(
You'll love the AirPods, I'm sure. They're amazing.

Reactions: MikesGravity

j.v.carrington

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Is anyone else having issues with the LED indicator light on their BeatsX?

Though the orange charging light will appear when I plug the earphones in, and will flash when I hold the power + volume down buttons to reset them, the white indicator isn't appearing for me any more. When I first got them (on Friday) the white indicator was working normally, but now it simply won't appear, even when the headphones are fully charged and powered on. It seems like a minor thing, but without the white indicator light, it's difficult to tell if they're properly powered on/off.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
You can pair them with your tv. You just have to do it the old school way. It doesn't take advantage of the W1 chip features.
I have not been able to get my  tv to pair to my TaoTronics. It doesn't see them in pair mode.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Glad there are some unbiased reviews now, for years there was that herd mentality of saying beats are crap without truly evaluating the product since it was the 'mainstream' thing to do.

Don't get me wrong Studio 1.0 & 2.0 aren't great. The noise canceling and the extra bass is the only thing going for those models.

But the Beats Pro has truly a remarkable sound might not step up to sennhieser but definitely beats the MX50's. Anyone that disagrees, has not used the Beat Pros with a high quality track. I'm sure there are others that are just as or better for the same or similar price but its the brand as well.

Hey, a cheaper off brand android phone can do the job, hey a button up that isn't burberry that looks just as nice is cool, and so do shoes that aren't jordans or nike are good but we all still buy them anyways because of the look, the logo, the brand.

Looking forward to it but I think it'll be much nicer if there were no wires with the BeatX

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I wonder why this isn't a feature with the ATV4, since it's obviously compatible with older Macs/iPhones/iPads running updated versions of macOS/iOS?

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
After using them for the weekend, I'm finding the beats won't work for me. The main issue is the fit/seal I think. I tried all the 4 sizes of included tips and while the two layer tip worked the best, I could never get a good seal, which in turned resulted in a thinner sound. This trial time with the beats has actually made me like the bose soundsports better. The weight of the earbud portion of bose didn't seem to bother me as much this weekend and the sound was much fuller for me. Plus, I much prefer the fit of the bose over the beats (as mentioned before - sitting in preferred over plugged in ear).

The ease of pairing isn't a big deal to me, nor is the icloud pairing. However, the connection range is something that I would love to have. Got another week or so to decide, so I'll try the beats out again to see if I get better results.

Reactions: AppleRobert

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I wonder why this isn't a feature with the ATV4, since it's obviously compatible with older Macs/iPhones/iPads running updated versions of macOS/iOS?

I have no idea. I thought it was a weird omission too. But my theory is it's because the tv is communal device that's tied to iCloud. The tv really isn't good at profiles. You can't add a second iCloud account to it. And even if you could, I'm fairly certain it would mess up HomeKit. This is a big deal since the tv is a HomeKit hub. I'm guessing  hasn't found a good solution to the problem. With that said, it's a nonissue for me because I'm single. I only tried it because I'm tech support for all my Muggle friends and family.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
My last complaint has nothing to do with the actual BeatsX themselves. I was one of the many who ordered online, specifically thru the Apple store app ( remember this selling point "You can even use Apple Pay to check out from your iPhone when visit a participating Apple Store"? ), only to NOT have the order ever process. So to get my BeatsX I had to pay for them there ( luckily they hadn't sold out yet ), cancel my order, and wait 3 - 5 days to get my money back. Apple wasted no time taking the money ( just the time it took to read my fingerprint ), but have to wait a week to get my money after paying 2x. As the Apple person on the phone when I cancelled mentioned, they really need to work on that.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
My last complaint has nothing to do with the actual BeatsX themselves. I was one of the many who ordered online, specifically thru the Apple store app ( remember this selling point "You can even use Apple Pay to check out from your iPhone when visit a participating Apple Store"? ), only to NOT have the order ever process. So to get my BeatsX I had to pay for them there ( luckily they hadn't sold out yet ), cancel my order, and wait 3 - 5 days to get my money back. Apple wasted no time taking the money ( just the time it took to read my fingerprint ), but have to wait a week to get my money after paying 2x. As the Apple person on the phone when I cancelled mentioned, they really need to work on that.

That's a horrible experience!!!  has got to tighten things up.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
That's a horrible experience!!!  has got to tighten things up.

As a cold business strategy it's kind of sound. Get fans of your product to order online, not process the orders immediately, so when they come in they have a choice. They can either buy the product again when they come to pickup, and you get to hold on to their money for a bit. Or they can pass & wait, leaving more product on the floor for walk in traffic, while you can deliver their product at a later date with another shipment.

I'm not saying that's what Apple is doing, but from an impersonal standpoint, it's a strategy.

inthequantum

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I went and got the Bose, thank you!
It's really amazing and I don't think I wanna try anything else now!

That is exactly the truth right there. Once you hear the Bose, the rest are hard to use. I actually picked up a pair of Beats X the other day, used them once at the gym, but too much wire for me. They sound good, but not as good as the Bose Soundsports. I am happy for now, but to be honest, I was demo'd some AirPods at the Apple Store the other day and I was blown away. I have been an AirPods hater since the beginning because of the design, but the sound is truly amazing, and it is a fully wireless experience. Once you have experienced that it is hard to think about having any wires now. I have a week and a half left with my return policy on the Bose Soundsports, but I am searching for a pair of AirPods because I want the full wireless experience now. I am almost to the end of the crazy journey of finding the best workout headphones. My list would be this: 1.Airpods/Bose Soundsports(just depends on if you want a full wireless experience) 2. and this is a far second, would fall the Beats X, Powerbeats 3, and Jaybird Freedoms. The thing about the AirPods is that it is so damn nice to just take one out and your music pauses, put it back in, and boom back in the game. There is some great technology in the AirPods. I will end up with the Bose Soundsports or the AirPods. The Beats X are going back.

Reactions: Pentium

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The thing about the AirPods is that it is so damn nice to just take one out and your music pauses, put it back in, and boom back in the game. There is some great technology in the AirPods.
If only the AirPod had some way to control volume that (1) didn't require Siri with an active network connection or (2) didn't make me reach for my iPhone. That was the deal breaker for me with the AirPods.

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
New York
If only the AirPod had some way to control volume that (1) didn't require Siri with an active network connection or (2) didn't make me reach for my iPhone. That was the deal breaker for me with the AirPods.

I usually use my Apple Watch to control the volume/track when using my AirPods and for wifi access I placed the now play app in the dock so it's always just a tap away with the button on the side of the watch

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I usually use my Apple Watch to control the volume/track when using my AirPods and for wifi access I placed the now play app in the dock so it's always just a tap away with the button on the side of the watch
Yeah the Apple Watch makes the air pods perfect to me

That said not everybody has an Apple Watch

Reactions: John.B

Pentium

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Los Angeles
That is exactly the truth right there. Once you hear the Bose, the rest are hard to use. I actually picked up a pair of Beats X the other day, used them once at the gym, but too much wire for me. They sound good, but not as good as the Bose Soundsports. I am happy for now, but to be honest, I was demo'd some AirPods at the Apple Store the other day and I was blown away. I have been an AirPods hater since the beginning because of the design, but the sound is truly amazing, and it is a fully wireless experience. Once you have experienced that it is hard to think about having any wires now. I have a week and a half left with my return policy on the Bose Soundsports, but I am searching for a pair of AirPods because I want the full wireless experience now. I am almost to the end of the crazy journey of finding the best workout headphones. My list would be this: 1.Airpods/Bose Soundsports(just depends on if you want a full wireless experience) 2. and this is a far second, would fall the Beats X, Powerbeats 3, and Jaybird Freedoms. The thing about the AirPods is that it is so damn nice to just take one out and your music pauses, put it back in, and boom back in the game. There is some great technology in the AirPods. I will end up with the Bose Soundsports or the AirPods. The Beats X are going back.

Exactly... actually I like the idea behind the AirPods with I still prefer the BOSE with the Gym!
So now I'm settled down, not gonna change my mind :D

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
New York
Exactly... actually I like the idea behind the AirPods with I still prefer the BOSE with the Gym!
So now I'm settled down, not gonna change my mind :D

He reason I prefer JayBird to Bose/Beats X is the ability to have it wrap the cord around the back of my head and not resting on my neck

Reactions: Pentium

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

That may be the answer if you already wear an Apple Watch.

Otherwise, that's a $269+ solution to a $159 wireless earbuds problem.

Reactions: JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I love my BeatsX! I do think they are a little long. The hang down to my naval. I'm only 3ft tall. I don't mind though. The worst thing I can say is the case isn't the greatest. I was concerned about that. But it's not a big deal. I doubt I'd use it anyway since I've had over earbuds that came with cases and I never used them either. I guess I just think a case should close. I like it otherwise. It's easy to get them in if you for the diagram. These are the first pair of Beats I've ever used so I can't speak on the sound. But they sound better to me than my PUGZ. PUGZ should really be ashamed of themselves. They also sound better than my beloved, but now dead, Zagg SmartBuds too. I'm happy I bought them!

ETA: I forgot to say that love how in line remote is on the left side. I'm left handed. But I can deal with them on the right side. But having it on the left is better for me because I'm a power wheelchair user and I drive it with my right hand. Having the remote on the left side let's me control whatever I'm listening to without having to stop driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.