Hands-On With Apple's New Second-Generation AirPods

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2019.

1. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

100%, this is severely underrated. The fact that they are open lets me use them all day long. If they were in-ear and noise cancelling, I wouldn't have bought them.

2. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Don’t be that guy. The majority know there is better sounding portable audio options out there. Comparing gen 1 pods to gen 2 is what people are referencing.

3. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

I thought that too but the charging case also has a lightning socket.

4. Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

Can you take calls with it (w/o touching your iPhone)?

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

Then buy those?

6. Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

Thanks!

7. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

Those are over-ear and heavier compared to Air Pods.....

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

IMG_3272.JPG
    Check Amazon or any of your friendly electronic store for a multi-headed cable like this. This is my travel companion, Micro USB, Lightning and USB-C all in one.

9. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

You wanted us to let you know if we only picked up the wireless charging case.
    I did :D.
    I habe no Airpods though :confused:.
    But everyone in the office thinks so :)
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2019 ---
    Sorry I cannot hear you over here with my cable :D
    [​IMG]

10. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Ok you win :)

11. grimwanderer macrumors newbie

Has anyone else tried connecting Airpods 2 to an AppleTV? My Airpods 1st Gen work fine (Apple TV 4th generation) but when I try to connect Airpods 2 bluetooth resets (losing connection to the AirPods, the remote, and my HomePods). No pending update (ran the one earlier in the week), have tried restarting the Apple TV, etc. with no change.

12. Mcsnee macrumors newbie

Mcsnee

Who the hell buys in-ear earphones as an investment gadget?!

13. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

wow, faster pairing. amazing improvement to a function that you only need once(per device).

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

So far the #1 thing I like about these gen 2 Airpods is the very fast switching between devices. I switch between devices all the time and this makes it a BREEZE compared to the gen 1's where it took so long, it was actually faster to just go into Bluetooth settings and connect manually. THANK YOU APPLE!

15. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

No they're not.

16. deebinem macrumors regular

Uhhh, thanks. I figured that out, hence the edit...

17. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors 6502

WoodpeckerBaby

This is not the intended AirPod 2 release. They probably failed to finish the ideal design version. This is just one of the backup prototypes. If you don’t need one right now, wait for the real one to be ready.

18. bluespark macrumors 68000

Sure, but mostly because of the keynote demonstration.

19. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Okay, I ordered these little bastards since my Gen-1's are now too finicky for comfort. I lost the right-side pod and subsequently ran over the replacement pod. Now the left-side pod is disproportionally weak and barely last an hour. Being disabled, I wanted to have the 'Hey Siri' feature and hopefully have fewer connection issues. The higher sound quality will be an added perk.

I was hopeful that Apple would add some texture to the pods, but that would be too practical. Unlike your experience; the first thing' I will notice, is that I paid 200-bucks for a wearable device that doesn't provide an AppleCare option. Us pesky humanoids' don't come with symmetrical ear canals, so the chances of losing one; is rather high.

20. rgbrock1 macrumors member

rgbrock1

Because he/she has nothing better to do?

21. MatrixRabbit macrumors newbie

This morning I signed for my 2.0 Air Pods (wireless case), and they sound fantastic. I have no complaints, I tend to turn my headphones high and at 75% these are blasting.

I didn't own the Gen 1, so can't compare, and timing was right to jump on board. They seem discrete to wear at a desk cubicle, where my main headphones (QC35's) are better suited in the home and flying. I walked into another room to try Siri, and had no issues.

Even if these just last ~2 years optimally, it amounts to a $ quarter a day. Not sure the lifespan, but that seems acceptable to me, especially if I can get a few bucks at that point.

Just my $.02.

22. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Listener gratification is why consumer level graphic EQ was a thing, until Apple ruined all that.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

UK mail used to give a 2 hour window. Seems as though things have gotten worse now they are DHL. Seems they have gotten worse. I rescheduled mine to be delivered tomorrow as I was working today. I hope they haven’t tried to deliver them today. Seems like it’s a whole day event then.

24. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

My apologies for not responding sooner; I assumed MacRumors would be all over your suggestion.

[​IMG]

25. interval28 macrumors newbie

What the hell is an investment gadget, anyway? A gadget by definition has limited lifespan and loses value. An investment is meant to increase in value.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2019 ---
    They are faster but music sound about the same. Calls are much improved. Siri responses are much improved. Latency is improved. Why are you such a grump?