Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several weeks, a number of photos and videos have shown cases and even physical mockups of Apple's rumored iPhone 6. Most of the cases and mockups appear to have been based either on alleged design drawings published by Japanese magazine MacFan in late March or on essentially identical information leaking through other channels.

Left to right: iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 mockup, Retina iPad mini
(Click for larger)
MacRumors has now obtained one of these iPhone 6 cases and separately 3D printed a very rough physical mockup based on the MacFan drawings for the 4.7-inch model. Together, the case and the mockup give a good idea of the feel of a larger iPhone.

The larger iPhone definitely makes one-handed operation more difficult, even for relatively large hands, but many users are already accustomed to using two hands much of the time. With the larger body, Apple appears to be shifting the sleep/wake button from the top edge of the device to the right side, and this new location feels very natural in our hands, with the index finger sitting right on the button in a left-handed grip.

iPhone 6 mockup (left) and iPhone 5 (right) in the hand
(Click for larger)
Our physical mockup includes our mocked up home screen showing that a 4.7-inch screen at the same 326 pixels per inch as the iPhone 5s would yield a 1334x750 display that could display an additional row of icons. While the mockup is based on the design drawings posted by MacFan, we did elect to slightly depress the surface of the device in order to help its physical features stand out more.

iPhone 5 in iPhone 6 case (left) and edge views of case (right)
(Click for larger)
With the case and mockup in hand, we encourage readers with questions to share them in the discussion thread associated with this story and we'll do our best to address them.

Article Link: Hands-On with iPhone 6 Case and Physical Mockup

Reactions: Sunny1990

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
I want a 4 inch iPhone 6 screen :(we shouldn't be forced in order to get the next iPhone...to have a huge screen.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Bonus image:

iphone_6_mockup_case.jpg

Let me know if you have questions!

YES! Every 2 years we get an additional row of icon! :p

Why does it seem like these physical mockups are always only 4.7". I'm very interested in what the 5.5" version would look like, both in size and screen appearance (more icons??).

ps. with all this added screen size, it really is getting to be about time to do MORE with the homescreen than just a static grid of icons...

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
The real news is the iPhone 6 won't be made from sapphire, but 3D printed! Printolutionary!

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I know this is MacRumours and all, but I don't suppose we could get a size comparison against the HTC One or One M8? The dimensions of those is much more to my liking than the Samsungs, and if the iPhone 6 is similar, I'll probably be buying one.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes. Does it blend?

I'll bet it does, but not going to test it yet. And I don't have a Blendtec.

The screen in the first pic looks bigger than 4.7

It may look bigger, but it's exactly 4.7" diagonally.

...Someone needs to update the apps on their phone.

Looks like you might have some app updates.

It's an unused iPhone 5 resurrected for the photo comparisons...wasn't going to spend the time updating all of the apps. :)

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
I really do think the optimum screen size system is metric paper :

iPhone - A6
iPad Mini - A5
iPad - A4
MacBook Pro A4
iPad Desk / iMac - A3
Display - A2

Built on golden ratio and precisely scalable.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
It seems to me that Apple has really tightened their security. By now we usued to have enough parts and components leaked to assemble a whole functioning iPhone. This year we are down to having to make fake ones and 3D print them from case alleged dimensions in order to have any idea of what it may look like.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I know this is MacRumours and all, but I don't suppose we could get a size comparison against the HTC One or One M8? The dimensions of those is much more to my liking than the Samsungs, and if the iPhone 6 is similar, I'll probably be buying one.

I don't have access to the HTCs but the iPhone 6 would be ever so slightly shorter and narrower than the One. Noticeably thinner as well.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Up next to that five, this mockup looks a bit too tall to fit comfortably in my pocket… I’m concerned. Could we maybe kill those top and bottom bezels a bit? If those were half as wide as they are, I’d be sold.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
OMG what is this the 80's?! I don't want to hold a brick up to my face to talk on the phone! How is this going to fit into anyone's pants!? People will look like dolts handling a phone that large! Phandroids can have their phablets!

*Takes photos at public events with iPad*

*Puts iPad mini into suit pocket*

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
Is it commonly agreed that a bigger iPhone will use the iPhone 5/s/c ratio, while all iPads keep the better one?

For me the iPhone 5s is definitely tall enough, I would like a bit more width though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.