Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung recently came out with Bluetooth-enabled item trackers called SmartTags, beating Apple's rumored AirTags to market. With AirTags still set to launch later this year, we thought we'd check out Samsung's SmartTags to see just what Apple will be competing with.

There are already multiple Bluetooth-enabled item tracking options on the market, the most popular of which is Tile, and Samsung's SmartTags are similar in both design and functionality to Tile's offerings. The SmartTags are square-shaped with a small cutout at the top where a keyring can be connected, allowing them to be attached to a range of items.

AirTags are likely going to be similar, but rumors suggest they'll have a round design and will use various holders instead of having a built-in attachment point.

samsung-smarttags-2.jpg

SmartTags are only designed to work with Galaxy devices for tracking purposes, and connecting and setup is a simple enough process. When setup is complete, the SmartTags show up in the SmartThings app from Samsung for tracking purposes.

In the SmartThings app, there's a map where you can see the physical location of the tag (and the item it's attached to), plus you can have it play a chime if the item is located nearby. For items lost further away, Samsung has a "Galaxy Find Network" crowd tracking feature that allows other Galaxy devices to ping lost tags to offer up a better chance of finding a lost device.

Tile has a similar crowd tracking network feature, and Apple's AirTags will too. AirTags will be trackable through the Find My app alongside your Apple devices, and Apple in iOS 13 introduced a Find My feature that lets lost devices be tracked even without a cellular connection by leveraging devices owned by other people. This functionality will likely be available for the AirTags, and with so many Apple devices out there, it's going to make it easier to find something that's lost.

samsung-smarttags-3.jpg

SmartTags are Bluetooth-based and need to connect to a device using Bluetooth for their location to be tracked. AirTags will also work over Bluetooth, but AirTags are expected to have an edge over the SmartTags because Apple is expected to take advantage of Ultra Wideband technology, which will utilize the U1 chip in recent iPhones to allow for more precise indoor positioning and tracking.

There's a little button on the SmartTag that can be tapped to play a sound on the phone, so if you lose your phone but have a SmartTag nearby, it'll help you find your lost device.

One neat SmartTag perk includes smart home control. The button on the SmartTag can be customized to control smart home devices through various long and short button presses. That's not something that's rumored for the AirTags, but it's possible that we could see Apple use the positioning functionality to interface with HomeKit devices through automations.

samsung-smarttags-4.jpg

SmartTags are using a traditional CR2032 battery that's replaceable, and it's not yet clear what Apple's battery solution will be. There have been rumors that Apple will use rechargeable batteries and rumors of a replaceable battery, so we'll have to wait to see what Apple ends up implementing.

We've been waiting on the AirTags for a long time now, but multiple rumors have suggested that 2021 is the year we'll finally see a launch, so there's a possibility we may not have to wait too much longer to see Apple's solution.

Price wise, Samsung is charging $30 for the SmartTags, which is competitive with other offerings on the market. It's possible Apple will also aim for that general price point, but we don't really have word on what AirTags will cost.

SmartTags are useful for those who have Galaxy devices, but they don't have much of an edge over existing trackers from companies like Tile, so there's not much of a reason for an Apple user to pick up a SmartTag.

Article Link: Hands-On With Samsung's $30 Bluetooth-Enabled 'SmartTags'

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Far, far too bulky and utilitarian looking. Dimensions are 39.12 x 39.12 x 9.1mm

If you want people to stick it on their keyring at least try to make it tactile and possibly even exciting to have attached. This will add underwhelming bulk to a pocket. It frustrates me when designers are just so lazy and unimaginative like this.

My Tile Pro's have a nice metal edging and I can still get away with sticking one in my wallet - no chance of doing that with the Samsung one, it is 40% thicker.

Last edited:

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
Even implemented the “tags” in the name. Haha. I really hope that these airtags come in soon. AirTag is now recognized in the iOS keyboard dictionary, which is awesome. Hopefully that means a release is imminent

Reactions: mhnd

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
Years ago I used Tiles for a hot second - on my key ring and other items. While they may have improved, I found them clunky, the apps inefficient, and a waste of material. I’ve thought about Apple’s rumoured AirTags and what purpose they may serve my needs and honestly couldn’t think of any. All my devices are tracked with anti theft measures and a thief could simply remove the tag. My dog is chipped so there goes putting an AirTag on Spot’s collar idea. Maybe I could sneak one on my UPS drivers truck and never miss a delivery or FedEx throwing another flatscreen TV over a wall. 🤷🏼‍♂️

All kidding aside, I see a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist and more ewaste polluting the planet.

applicious84

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2020
One neat SmartTag perk includes smart home control. The button on the SmartTag can be customized to control smart home devices through various long and short button presses. That's not something that's rumored for the AirTags, but it's possible that we could see Apple use the positioning functionality to interface with HomeKit devices through automations.
Hmm, these could make really cool (and easy) light switches for smart bulbs and so forth.

Reactions: rjohnstone

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
How accurate is the location finder? For example, can it pinpoint in what room of the house it's in? How about down to which side or corner of the room? I never lose anything but it'll be handy to attach to pets.

Reactions: JRobinsonJr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.