Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
So, please refresh me again:
  • Why would you purchase a 13-inch MacBook Air with the M3 compared to the 14-inch Macbook Pro with the M3?
  • Is there any significant reason you would choose the 14-inch MacBook Pro over the 13-inch Macbook Air? For all intents and purposes, they seem to be the same device!
Mainly if you didn't need the better screen on the MBP and if weight and cost was an issue for you as well. And if you didn't need the processing power for video editing or anything like that.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
How does the M3 MacBook Air compare to the M1 Max MacBook Pro for photography editing? I've been trying to find a comparison. I like the form factor and weight of the 15" MacBook Air and while the screen isn't as good, it's good enough to do basic editing on until I get home to my desktop. Thanks.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
  • Why would you purchase a 13-inch MacBook Air with the M3 compared to the 14-inch Macbook Pro with the M3?
  • Is there any significant reason you would choose the 14-inch MacBook Pro over the 13-inch Macbook Air? For all intents and purposes, they seem to be the same device!

This is "Tim Cook Apple" operating exactly as intended

Pure SKU confusion -- just come in and "buy something" ... "anything"

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Displaylink is a completely different and massively less performant way to drive a display than through the machine’s native gpu…. This is apples/oranges

Thanks. Dan seemed to present it as a simple, equal approach to a solution. I had thought this was too easy, but did not know the nuts & bolts. Hopefully Apple will find a performant way to allow the screen to be up as this is not a "whole product" solution which is Apple's forte. NSC.

DrewHawk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Just got my M3 Air today. LOVE it. But I'm an IT guy with a lot of tech, like a lot. Gaming PC with RTX 4090, ROG Ally, PS5, 32:9 ultra wide ... on and on. The one disappointment I have is the screen of the M3 Air. It's very good, don't get me wrong. But it's so far behind the Dell XPS 13's screen.

Here is the thing Apple, many of us will never want a laptop that weighs over 3lbs. The Pro is a device I will never want, ever. Give us that screen on the Air! I will pay for it, you want $2k+ for an Air with that screen, fine. Money isn't the issue. Weight and size is.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just got my M3 Air today. LOVE it. But I'm an IT guy with a lot of tech, like a lot. Gaming PC with RTX 4090, ROG Ally, PS5, 32:9 ultra wide ... on and on. The one disappointment I have is the screen of the M3 Air. It's very good, don't get me wrong. But it's so far behind the Dell XPS 13's screen.

Here is the thing Apple, many of us will never want a laptop that weighs over 3lbs. The Pro is a device I will never want, ever. Give us that screen on the Air! I will pay for it, you want $2k+ for an Air with that screen, fine. Money isn't the issue. Weight and size is.

Yep

For as good as the Air screens were when that panel spec was really new (over a decade ago on first rMBPs), it's starting to really be just "ok" relative to the amazing screen options on so many laptops, monitors, phones, TVs, etc

Apple needs to up the screen game on the MBA - at least optionally

Reactions: DrewHawk

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
M1 Air is still by far the better deal of you consider performance/$.

Especially if going for a discounted model with the big savings you can get at retail (until stock is out).

Obviously also one of the reasons Apple opted to cut it from the lineup instead of letting it stay at a <$999

M1 is by not “discontinued”, outdated, or lagging behind.

I guess M4 is when M1 owners will finally get good reasons to upgrade.
You have to remember time begins ticking the moment apple stops selling the device in terms of support (parts and repairs) 5 years until obsolete. Not that any would be complaining about 5 years of use.

I actually ordered a M1 right before the announcement (I knew they'd kill it off) for $1349 on the Australian education pricing, which also gives a $240 card. So effectively $1109 - After the announcement though I was able to get the M2 for $1199 ($90 more). I'll use the $240 when USB C AirPods are out.

I went for M2 even with the slower SSD purely for the 2 years newer time line, its still going to be sold for awhile and thus supported.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
MacBook Air not perfect. I'm going with the m3 max studio. HEAT is a problem without Frans.

Obviously if you're utilizing your CPU at 100% for extended periods of time, then buying an Air is not ideal.

But Air is targeting users that use the CPU in bursts, in which the CPU returns to idle. Theres no need for fans.

Even traditional tasks that used the CPU, like exporting movies, are now done on the media engine, so most computer users are well served by a MacBook Air—they won't ever feel heat.

• Love
Reactions: blob.DK and KeithBN

DrewHawk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Yep

For as good as the Air screens were when that panel spec was really new (over a decade ago on first rMBPs), it's starting to really be just "ok" relative to the amazing screen options on so many laptops, monitors, phones, TVs, etc

Apple needs to up the screen game on the MBA - at least optionally
I think the screen quality is more important (or should be) than performance for like 80% of users.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
I know this has already been litigated and no one cares, but man do I hate the notch on Apple laptops. I'm not one to regularly trot out the whole "Steve would never" thing, but man... Steve would never.
Bothered me at first, don’t notice it anymore

Reactions: James_C

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good video. M3 Air will be a nice laptop. Wish it came in new colours.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
8GB ... lol... I don't even understand why they are selling machines like that. It is a strategy to depreciate models quicker to sell new machines more often. Plain and simple.
Well I bought an M2 8/256 Mac mini about 3 months ago because it does everything I need it to do.

It never feels slow and
Memory pressure has never gone into the red.

Why would I want to pay more for additional ram and additional SSD space I don’t need?

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
Better screen, power and connectivity.

Reactions: raghu8912

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You value the extra ports and the convenience of not needing an adaptor whenever you want to plug in that HDMI cable (which depending on your profession, could be pretty often). Though I do feel that if you can find a refurbished M1 Pro MBP in the Apple Store, it does seem like a better deal in every aspect (including supporting for more screens).

Would I get the 13" MBP? Most probably not, but just because I can't see the use for something doesn't mean it has no reason to exist.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
I don't understand why everyone is so enamored with the Macbook Pro screen.

I bought the 14" M1 model Macbook Pro when it first came out. I jumped on it. Finally, a replacement for my 2015 13" Macbook Pro. With Magsafe. But NO!

I saw a weird shimmering or glossiness on the screen. It's kinda hard to describe. It's especially noticeable when even slightly off axis. I couldn't stand it. Fortunately my daughter was eager to take it off my hands. I don't think the effect was because of the backlight PWM that people were complaining about, but maybe it was?

I recently went in to an Apple store with my old 2015 13" machine and compared screens against an M2 Macbook Air. Once I adjusted the newer machine to IIRC sRGB, the screens were very similar. I didn't feel the weird annoyance I previously had with the 14" Macbook Pro screen.

I now need to take my 2015 Macbook Pro back in and compare screens against the new M3 Macbook Air. Hopefully the display didn't change from the M2 version. My old machine is on its last legs, throwing up messages such as "Volume Hash Mismatch". I desperately need a replacement.

tl;dr: I like my old 2015 13" Macbook Pro screen much more than the M1 14" Macbook Pro screen.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
To each their own, but I’m okay with the way they’ve got the lineup arranged for now. My M2 MBA is the best computer I’ve ever owned, and I have not felt “port-gimped” at all. On the contrary, I’d probably like it less if it was a few mm thicker and/or had a bunch of lint-collecting holes in it that I never use. After owning a 2017 MBP, my dongle bag is already well-stocked anyway. I root through the bag about every 3 months, usually for some dumb USB-C to micro-USB cable.

So, good luck with your feedback, but if the worst case is that people who want a plethora of ports have to pay a few hundred more, that’s cool too. :)
I don't mind paying the money, I just want a thin in light form factor. MBA is an expensive computer. My friend's crappy PC has more ports. It's insulting.

• Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Did you test Display Link Manager (DLM) ?? If it works, then WTH Apple. Why force people to close the lid which restricts access to the camera and touch-Id. There must be a deeper reason for Apple to do this, something with "potential issues" that DLM is not worried about. If not... Might really need to start thinking about Linux for my daily driver because this would be another strong signal that Apple is getting just too anti-user these days.
They have a two display limit, but they're making it available to two external displays instead of one internal, one external.

It's the low-end machine. They're not going to give everything to that level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.