Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
MBA should comes in 13" and 14.2" sizes and have a proper port selection. Change my mind.
Ports belong to the MBP. Now that we have a clear distinction, the MBA should focus on being as thin and light as possible - if anything, it should have less ports, since most people are not going to use 2 USB-C at the same time.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I hold out hope (and continue to submit feedback) that Apple will give a future version of this machine HDMI and SD Card. Then it would be the perfect thin and light laptop. As an amateur photographer, I dislike thick and heavy laptops, and I hate with a passion dongle accessories. I also think Apple need to kill the MBP without a Pro chip (M3 Pro and M3 Max only). Pro should mean pro in the power department, large RAM upgrade possibilities, ginormous SSDs, high-end displays, fans, etc., but not artificially differentiated by port-gimping the Air. The Air should be more everyday-practical in that department, and should be fully interoperable with MBP in terms of ports, for in a conference setting, an event, a school, the office, the field, or your home. They added MagSafe back because it was the right thing to do; they need to do the same now with SD Card, and add HDMI to go the extra mile. MBA is the better form factor for most people, now it just needs to be more useful.

Once again, MBP should mean thickness, weight, fans, high-end display, extreme power and physically bigger speakers and displays. Air should mean lower power, thinner and lighter, no fan... yet FULLY REAL-WORLD PRACTICAL. Apple messed up their keyboards for a few years and then begrudgingly fixed them. They need to do the same now for the MBA ports.
I’d rather 4 usbc and no SD card slotsl I’m leaving behind my 2016 MBP with 4 usbc and don’t even get that in a pro now.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
Does anybody know if the external displays can operate at 144 Hz / 4k ?.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Ports belong to the MBP. Now that we have a clear distinction, the MBA should focus on being as thin and light as possible - if anything, it should have less ports, since most people are not going to use 2 USB-C at the same time.
Nope. Ports belong on all Macs to make all Macs practical. People who prefer the thin form factor should not have to suffer a less practical machine nor annoying and cumbersome dongles. MBP differentiates by having way more power, having a high-end display, having fans for cooling for longer workflows, a giant screen option and possible upgrades to-the-max. My MBA from 2015 has SD Card, they removed MagSage and then brought MagSafe back. Fix this damn machine.

• Haha
Reactions: StoneJack

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I’d rather 4 usbc and no SD card slotsl I’m leaving behind my 2016 MBP with 4 usbc and don’t even get that in a pro now.
Well, the Pro should have 4 for sure. SD Card is needed so people who have DSLR cameras (many people) are not punished for preferring a thin form factor. 2017 MBA and earlier has SD Card and that machine was only better for it.

Reactions: k1121j and snipr125

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
In my perfect world, everything would be on USB-C by now.
We don't live in that world. Apple tried to get there but everyone wanted the ports back, so they brought them back but to only half the machines. They brought MagSafe back to MBA, but not SD Card. MBA should also have HDMI for maximum projector compatibility. The machine has 18 hours of battery life and is a great form factor/battery life combo for office workers, teachers, events and such, but needs a full complement of ports to excel in those worlds. MBP should be the power-house machine—get rid of the 'M3' version, including only M3 Pro and M3 Max options, and give MBA Air at least one of all of the ports MBP has. People who love the Air form factor should not have to suffer dongles.

Last edited:

mac-rumorist

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2021
Once the M3 13" arrives next week, my biggest concern is getting a new laptop bag for it ;) M1 -> M3 - It is time. (16/512 stock, perfect laptop)

Reactions: Lioness~

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Well, the Pro should have 4 for sure. SD Card is needed so people who have DSLR cameras (many people) are not punished for preferring a thin form factor. 2017 MBA and earlier has SD Card and that machine was only better for it.
You know you can get SD card readers that are USB C , cost $10 and are hardly bigger than an SD card. They also handle Micro SD and have USB-A
I get that you hate them but I don't get why it matters that much. Furthermore, the readers change with the technology and get faster which is never true with the machines
Same for HDMI, you can get a cable that's HDMI on one end and USB-C on the other. You've got to have a cable anyway so for most people it really isn't such a big deal.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
We don't live in that world. Apple tried to get there but everyone wanted the ports back, so they brought them back but to only half the machines. They brought MagSafe back to MBA, but not SD Card. MBA should also have HDMI for maximum projector compatibility. The machine has 18 hours of battery life and is a great form factor/battery life combo for office workers, teachers, events and such, but needs a full complement of ports to excel in those worlds. MBP should be the power-house machine—get rid of the 'M3' version, including only M3 Pro and M3 Max options, and give MBA Air at least one of all of the ports MBP has. People who love the Air form factor should not have to suffer dongles.
This is the one area that I am personally rather disappointed in - that Apple was not able to drag more people into the usb-c future they envisioned. We often talk about wanting Apple to embrace the latest technologies and standards, yet waffle when it comes to making the same technological leap ourselves. :(

A 16" MBP with nothing but usb-c slots on both sides would have been sheer perfection. :D

I can maybe make the case for sd-card slot (even though I personally have zero use for it), but I don't see how you would expect to fit a HDMI port on either side of the MBA and expect to still keep it as thin as it currently is. My first MacBook was the 2012 11" MBA, and it had this mini-display port and you had to get the appropriate dongle for the right port (and I had both the HDMI and VGA variants).

As such, I am okay with the MBA lacking HDMI, and indifferent to it sporting an SD card slot.

I am also somewhat divided on the M3 MBP as well. I personally wouldn't buy one ever (for the same price, I would go with the 15" MBA with 16g ram), and you can still get refurbished M1 Pro MBPs for cheaper, and I do wonder if Apple does see a legitimate market for it, or if it's there solely to upsell users to the more expensive MBP models.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Please don’t talk about games in this post because they are not a thing on macOS.
"Not a thing" if you ignore the thousands of games available. Here are 43,000 options on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=mac

You might not like any of those thousands of games, but I play some of them. I didn't buy my Mac for gaming, but it does well when I play games. I think people saying they can't game on a Mac really mean Macs don't have some of the games they play.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: blob.DK and jlnr

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Yep

For as good as the Air screens were when that panel spec was really new (over a decade ago on first rMBPs), it's starting to really be just "ok" relative to the amazing screen options on so many laptops, monitors, phones, TVs, etc

Apple needs to up the screen game on the MBA - at least optionally
Agreed, I'd rather have Apple upsell screen tech than RAM and SSD.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
8GB ... lol... I don't even understand why they are selling machines like that. It is a strategy to depreciate models quicker to sell new machines more often. Plain and simple.

Because 8GB is plenty for may users and allows a lower price point for an entry level machine.

MBA should also have HDMI for maximum projector compatibility.

Since you already have to attach a cable an adapter really is no big deal. If the added HDMI people would complain they made it thicker by adding a useless port.

I think removing the HDMI port and adding a fourth USB-C slot would be a better move since it gives you a lot more flexibility in what accessories you will use. That would allow connecting to all sorts of projectors, including older ones without HDMI.

Apple will never make a machine that has everything every user wants; every design is. tradeoff to come up with ones that make the most money for Apple.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
SD cards have been superseded by newer technologies. Instead of outdated SD card slot which belongs really to USB A era, USB-C is much more universal and allows for more types of memory attached and with much higher reader speed. Moreover, not everyone uses SD cards but most use USB peripherals. Having 2 USB-C slots and Magsafe is a solution which is pretty universal and flexible.

Reactions: blob.DK

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
There's no connection between thinness and number of ports. Plenty of PC laptops have more ports and are not much different. What you have is Apple trying to gouge folk.

Reactions: jlnr

DrWojtek

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2023
I had absolutely no idea the Airs throttled so heavily even with Apple Silicon. The whole line is obsolete for anything else other than sending email and Notes, imo.

Excuse me for the drastic conclusion but really, why do a fanless laptop if the silicon throttles so badly? I’m glad I found out, now it’s definitely a mini I’m going for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.