Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Everything except the Apple ones look gaudy and distract from the screen. Especially the ugly stands.

I think people are also reacting to how the display looks out of proportion when the neck is extended as it is in the MacRumors potato photo. There's a reason why none of the product shots show the displays when elevated.

Extended

1549456453_IMG_1134969.jpg

Lowered
61BeJPuR7DL._SL1258_.jpg

Same monitor in the two photos above, but some people have a much more negative reaction to the first one. All of the monitors in question have flattering angles and not so flattering angles. In the end, they're all rectangles mounted to something and there really isn't that much distinguishing one from the other. Mount them on an elegant monitor arm and there's almost no difference in the appearances of the different monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Tiger

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
That looks like an uglier version of the LG to me. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
[doublepost=1558643481][/doublepost]
Everything except the Apple ones look gaudy and distract from the screen. Especially the ugly stands.
they look WAY better than this cheap,budget looking LG.
and those Samsungs look awesome.(Samsung design is always top notch unlike LG)

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
There are plenty of classic Apple Cinema Displays floating around out there. You can easily get one on eBay. I'm not a fan anymore though, but I am sure glad other people still are because I was able to sell a 30" ACD last year for an amazing price considering how old the monitor was. Those aluminum beasts took up so much room and generated a massive amount of heat. I sweat so much less in my office now that I longer have a 30" hot plate in front of my face all day.
[doublepost=1558585042][/doublepost]

I read somewhere on here that it's rumored that the rumored 6K display would likely have a built in eGPU, which would add to the cost, but also be a welcome addition because the LG 5K displays are already pretty hard to drive efficiently.

I'm willing to spend quite a bit on a really good display. Better monitor = better productivity for me. I'm willing to pay a premium, but I hestitate after all the struggles I've had with getting all of my programs to push buckets of pixels to my 5K. Capture One Pro actually causes my Vega 20 MBP to overheat and shut down when the 5K monitor is being used. Without the external monitor, the fans only spin up lightly.
My 23" ACD does NOT generate a noticeable amount of heat. Wonder what the problem was with your 30".

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
they look WAY better than this cheap,budget looking LG.
and those Samsungs look awesome.(Samsung design is always top notch unlike LG)
Have to agree to disagree on that then, to me the Samsung's look ugly AF. Regardless, it is the display quality that matters anyway; the frame is pretty irrelevant. Still would prefer something akin to the old aluminum cinema displays with the retina iMac resolutions in a space grey finish rather than any of these.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
That looks like an uglier version of the LG to me. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I guess it is :) I had Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch way before buying my first iMac and I liked the design (and even then when I first saw it I thought that they ripped-off iMac design). And it looks much better than LG :D.

Jaymes

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Aesthetics were always important to Steve, definitely a close second behind ease-of-use. How something looks influences, even if subconsciously, both the enjoyment of the product and impulse purchasing through desire. These uninspired displays lack that key ingredient that had always been so important to Steve. While functionally they may very well be fine, they look out of place compared to the rest of the products in Apple's line and makes it difficult to command a premium pricing model.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
LG has some of the best "bezel-less" displays, yet they chose this ugly duckling to market to Apple people? After spending that much, I don't think I'd ever get used to those fat black bezels.

You must really hate all iMac’s then.
This LG is nothing special, but it’s bezels are still smaller than anything Apple has released in the past decade.

Reactions: HappyIntro

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
So for same $$$ you get a downgrade in resolution and a little less real estate?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Frankly i love how it looks - been using it for half a year.

But i just dont get the 23.7” version.
I bought the 21.5” because of the same pixel density as the macbooks.

I wouldnt pay that much for the 23.7”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.