Hands-On With the New Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

True, but good luck getting those apps updated as time goes on. TV manufacturers are notoriously horrible at updating their OS.

Not really. If you’ve been here long enough you will know people here use multiple different platforms.

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

And 4K projectors?

3. daveak macrumors regular

Looks ok, but it doesn't make the navigation click which makes it feel wrong.

4. Paultmaine macrumors newbie

Paultmaine

I tried to watch a 4K item on the app and got this, I have a 4K tele ?

Attached Files:

5. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Useless? Because it only delivers stereo audio? That’s pretty extreme. Are non-4K TVs also useless?

6. Hanterdro macrumors regular

Hanterdro

Yes, they are :p

7. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

'Twas just a joke. One that everyone else seems to have gotten. As to your comment, were you quoting my tagline?

8. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

I do. The interface on my LG OLED is absolutely superb. It's very fast, I can move between apps pretty much instantly, and it even has a mouse pointer (as well as a d-pad and voice search).
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:54 AM ---
    HDR requires HDMI 2.0 or greater. The old ATV 4 only has HDMI 1.4.

9. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Looks like Amazon has "fixed" the error. Yesterday titles were showing 5.1 audio in the description, and now they don't. And flipping Airplay and back no longer enable 5.1 (see my last post in this thread).

Seriously, it seems these services (not just Amazon) are really worry that you enjoy their services too much :rolleyes: always missing something..

10. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

I respectfully disagree. My TVs I have experienced have awful UIs. The Apple TV is so much cleaner and quicker for browsing. Additionally having up next for all content, across all apps is great.

11. Yumbo macrumors 6502

Video Library menu option missing from my app on both TV and iOS.
    Anyone else have this issue with any solutions?

12. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

If I had to choose just one service for video streaming, it would be Netflix. I got Amazon Prime for the shipping benefits but didn't watch it often because, until yesterday, I didn't have a good way to watch it (Sony Blu-ray player with a terrible UI or AirPlay with skipped frames). I may use it more now.

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I am so ecstatic about this! It's nice to have all my viewing on 1 box now. I used to switch to my Shield for Prime Video but that experience has really gone down. Every time I turn it on I get a notification about a remote update and it takes about 15-20 minutes to do it and then fails. Voice input never works either.

The Prime Video app itself is like a dream come true. the integration with the TV app is a complete bonus as well. If only Apple would update for Atmos, I'd be in heaven!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM ---
    Which Denon do you have? I have a Denon and have rear speakers via wireless. Having that rear channel really adds to immersion big time. It won't cost you much to get a pair of small rear channel speakers and 5.1 will blow you away vs stereo.

14. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

The support page says it will be added soon.

15. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Tried it yesterday and worked great. Was able to get Dora the Explorer going for my granddaughter. Previously the only way was buying the episodes on the Apple side.

I think that Apple TV still has the best UI and integration for the streaming boxes. This was the missing link.

16. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Absolutely garbage app with good content.

All obviously built in JS w/ some kind of web view (maybe they got an exception from Apple?)

17. icehockey77 macrumors member

icehockey77

So pumped to not have to airplay from my ipad mini anymore. Autoplay had stopped working and it was getting frustrating when binging Mr. Robot for hours on end.

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I downloaded the app last night and wasn't blown away by the UI. To me, it looks like the app was designed for the 3rd gen ATV (not tvOS). But I'm just happy a native app was finally released.

19. Explorz macrumors regular

Useless for me. I have a fully functioning Amazon Prime App in my TV's OS. So, totally useless to use the limited function app on the ATV.

20. BrennanWDavis macrumors newbie

BrennanWDavis

Yeah, exactly. I have a smart TV and smart Blu Ray player, and can access Prime Video on both of them, but they're super laggy. It's also a pain to have to remember which smart device and which remote, etc. to use. I'm happy now that I can have all of my video content (Amazon, Netflix, iTunes) in one place.

21. stickyd8 macrumors member

stickyd8

I've used apps through my 4K LG TV, and they work fine. With that being said, I prefer using my AppleTV because the UI is much cleaner, easier to navigate, and aggregates all of the video content I have access to through the "TV App". And now that they integrated live sports through the TV App with game notifications, it makes it even better. I don't have to hop from app to app to have access to the things I want to watch.

22. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yep.

Different devices, [potentially] different UIs in a multi-TV home, with different feature sets, etc., lack of consolidated services like search, dealing with different patches/updates/fixes.

There's a number of compelling reasons why _any_ external device is superior to integrated TV "smart apps".

:D

23. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I bought a top end Sony 4K TV 1.5yrs back. It had Amazon Prime video out of the box, but no 5.1 audio. It took almost a year before it got updated to output 5.1 audio. Keep holding your breath ;)

24. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

zero interest in this without 5.1. thats the main reason i wanted it. otherwise it works just as well airplayed from a phone

25. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

It must actually take a lot of effort to make a tvOS app look and behave that badly. Amazon and their terrible web based UI. sigh.