Hands-On With the New Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

All the other apps do as they should; HDR and Dolby Vision. Leaving only the Amazon app as the culprit. I’ll remove it and add it again. About all I can do.

2. nemaslov macrumors 6502a

nemaslov

Love that I can use Apple TV for almost everything now. The App is fine. The bottom line is watching shows from Amazon. And it works perfectly for that. Easy to find with everything voice command. 5.1 will happen soon but no deal breaker for me.

3. 31 Flavas, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

31 Flavas macrumors 6502

Have you ever used Prime Video on any TV or DVD device? It's only ever been a terrible experience for me.

My first interaction was on the Nintendo Wii U. You couldn't sort or group by show - any suggestions it made were all individual episodes. Searching was a pain in the ass. But, personally, I'm only interested in only the free "included" with Prime content. I'm not interested in purchasing or renting, just show me what's available that I don't have to pay for.

I couldn't filter out paid content on the Wii U - so searching was pointless. On the DVD player, TV, and PS4 - I can filter out paid content, but I have to reapply that filter *every time* I go back to the main screen. So I filter to "Prime Video" only look for something to watch, click on it, and if I don't care for it and what to look at something else -- I have to go back and, guess what, they want to include paid content again. So I have to reapply the filter and look again.

But worst of all, between the all of these devices, the UI is just stuck in molasses even on my PS4 Pro. It's PAINfully slow on the DVD player.

Guess what the Apple TV Prime Video experience shares in common with any of those? None of it. And you only need sign-in once on the Apple TV app with email and password. No secondary authorize it again on the Amazon website (because they want you to confirm payment details).

It's a fast responsive interface that doesn't try to frustrate me at every turn. Just show me what's available and I'll make my pick.

I'm an Apple fan. I tried to meet Amazon halfway. As mentioned, there are a vast number of ways I could access Prime Video. They were all terrible.

4. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors member

outskirtsofinfinity

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Great timing for The Grand Tour.

Though I don't have the 4k ATV yet so I'll still be watching through the TV app lol

6. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

I just remote installed it on your Apple TV - please send me payment :)

7. Rico-Suave macrumors newbie

Rico-Suave

No kidding. Why would they release this without it? It's not like they have to invent news codecs FFS.

8. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

i always fond this interesting that a company didn't sell AppleTV at Amazon as a "because we didn't have a presence in the Apple eco-system" which changes to ... "everything is ok now"

Someone back-flipped... either Amazon or Apple...

Maybe both did... *shrugs*

10. OriginalMacOwner macrumors newbie

The Apple TV Amazon Prime app does NOT support purchasing movies that aren't free with Prime, which you can on the Roku version of Amazon Prime. While non-Prime movies can usually be bought on iTunes instead, there are also many movies - particularly more obscure and interesting titles - that are on Amazon but not iTunes (and vice-versa).

This limitation will presumably never change, since Apple demands a huge chunk of all in-app purchases. So, you can't throw out your Roku or FireTV yet!

11. paq macrumors newbie

Are we using the same app??? Maybe compared to a DVD player it’s responsive, but compared to every other major app on tvOS, this app is incredibly slow and frustrating.

12. bluespark macrumors 65816

I'm not sure why this doesn't make sense to you. The ATV 4 is not 4K-capable. The ATV 4K and the LG OLED webOS implementation are 4K-capable. Use the LG app for 4K content unless and until you get an ATV 4K.

13. antalar macrumors newbie

antalar

I have the same issue, it keeps scrolling and scrolling but no playing and then it says that my tv cannot play the movie to check HDMI cable, all other apps and movies in other places play smoothly in 4K
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2017 ---
    I have it setup as 4kSDR
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2017 ---
    Having same issues all other apps and movies from iTunes work well only in amazon it is not working, my TV is 4k UHD and my apple tv 4k is setup to 4k SDR

14. RayFundora, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

RayFundora macrumors newbie

RayFundora

I'm still very confused as to why they would release the app without support for 5.1. Was this done in error, or on purpose? Either way, it's a big misstep. On a positive note, the picture quality of the app is excellent on my Sony HDR TV.

15. vince22 macrumors regular

same here, setup as 4k sdr but amazon 4k movies and shows will not play with Samsung 4k tv (non-hdr) and plays gorgeously with my Oled65C7P.

16. shaunymac macrumors 6502

Pleasantly surprised to see it on my ATV3. I nearly bought a fire stick just for this during Black Friday. Being frugal paid off.

Like others, the audio part sucks. I fired up the marantz and projector to watch The Grand Tour and that sound...ugh!

17. Tammytastic macrumors newbie

Tammytastic

So do you think this is a Samsung specific issue ? I have a Sammy as well

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I mean, mine does, but it sucks. The only real good one is on LG tv's, but even still it isn't great. The point of Apple TV is to have content all in one place, and not be constantly swapping inputs/UI's/controllers depending on one random show provided by on specific provider. And with the TV app you don't even have to go into individual apps to get to your recent shows, they are shown intertwined with each other (except Netflix...)

19. vince22 macrumors regular

it's possible, but I'm not sure, iTunes and Netflix works.

20. 31 Flavas macrumors 6502

Perhaps it’s some bulldrip with HDCP 2.2? I had to deal with that hedache when setting up my theater system. The 5.1 reciever I bought (despite being a 2016 model) only supported HDCP 1.4 - a strategic deficancy - to up sell their more expensive 7.1 system (that I didn’t need).

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

@nexesnex and @nburwell -- I've been using the Amazon App on my Sony 900E since March. It's a custom implementation that's installed on the system level in the Android TV OS -- it can't be deleted or downloaded from Google Play. I loved the interface from day one. However, the tip off when I knew the ATV Amazon App was coming came the other day when I opened the Amazon App, and the entire UI had changed. It's the EXACT same UI we now see on the Apple TV. So this IS the experience Amazon wants customers to have for some reason. The worst part, is I used to be able to restrict the content displayed to ONLY Prime offerings. It's a real mess, and is not exclusive to the ATV.

Yes, I wonder if they just didn't know what they were talking about when they said it would be available on the 2nd Gen ATV, or if they discovered it was a bigger pain than not, or if they delivered it and it didn't work as intended on the ATV 2, and a fix is forthcoming? It's a fairly simple port for that original box, I would think, though I noticed that the Hulu app stopped working on my ATV 2 -- it would get hung up in the commercials and keep resetting to the start of the program. I assume the ATV 2 is low on Apple's list of priorities, so even if a developer releases a bug fix, Apple isn't likely to rush it into review, and upload it to the devices.

Having universal search for Amazon app is amazing. So much better than the clunky way I was forced to search on my Sony TV App. Yes, I have iOS remote apps for the TV, but there's no consistent UI rules across apps, so text entry in search fields is inconsistent at best, and awkward for most. Siri is mostly a dream with the TV.

Now if only Siri would allow me to change the format resolution with a voice command instead of making me navigate the settings menus.

22. Tammytastic macrumors newbie

Tammytastic

I’ve got 2.2 on one port but I think if that’s the case I’m going to have to update my Samsung Connect box as switching between ATV,Sky Q and Xbox One S is becoming a pain

23. yeahtyeaht, Dec 8, 2017

yeahtyeaht macrumors regular

yeahtyeaht

24. HiRez, Dec 8, 2017

HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I agree, it does smell like an HDCP issue (I've seen this before when you just get nothing on the other end for no apparent reason). Whether that's on the Prime app end or the Samsung tv end it's hard to say, it could be that the tv is not presenting itself and its capabilities correctly, or Prime from ATV isn't reading it correctly and sending the wrong thing.

Another possibility along the same lines is that it's forcing a format the cable can't handle. For example, 12-bit 4:4:4 color, 4K @ 60 Hz. This would be something even 18 Gbps HDMI cables could not handle, but if you have an older 10 Gbps ("high speed") cable, there would be a lot more formats that would not work. For example 4K @ 60 Hz with 10-bit 4:2:0 color cannot be handled on 10 Gbps HDMI cables. So first step is make sure you're using a newer 18 Gbps ("ultra high speed") cable if you're watching 4K HDR content. These are really cheap now, I just got a pack of 2 6-foot Amazon Basics 18 Gbps HDMI cables for $7.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It works now. 5.1 fixed.