Hands-On With the New Amazon Prime Video App for Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I am another that is happy to use just one device. For me my ATV 4 is ok, I mean I like it but nothing outstanding as far as picture quality or sound from any streaming service. I blame my tv for that tho, a 2016 Sony 1080p. And as far as sound, I will use my Pioneer AV to get me Dolby Surround (not a perfectionist obviously) and that satisfies me.
    One anal issue that I have with Smart Tv’s. I had one in 2015, had my home WiFi setup on it and lightning struck our house and disabled it (blew out all ports on it). So I could not disable my wifi settings on it. It went to the dump and I was worried that some guru, and a cyber theif, would be able to view my wifi settings ( anal, remember). So now having the Amazon App on my ATV (my only reason for using my smart tv (replaced one) was Amazon video), I have turned off wifi and reset tv to factory defaults.

2. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

It's more about having everything in once place. I primarily use an apple tv for my media consumption. I had other ways of accessing Prime but rarely did because it wasn't convenient (unless I was looking for something specific I'd actually even forget prime was an option). And before we get into the why even have a box when you could just use the smart tv... I am not an occasional streamer. I don't have cable so UI becomes very important and I personally prefer the UI of the atv.

3. erinsarah macrumors regular

Yeah, funny thing is we just got a Samsung TV for the Bedroom, including a 2nd Gen Apple TV and a TiVo Mini. In a sequence of three days I discovered:

Day 1. That although the TiVo Bolt downstairs has amazon on it, we cannot stream Amazon through the Tivo Mini (unclear as to why just yet). Annoyed.
    Day 2. The Amazon app on the Samsung TV is perfectly cromulent. No complaints. No longer annoyed.
    Day 3. The Amazon app becomes available on AppleTVs - question whether it's finally time to upgrade the old unit and decide, Nah. I'm good.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM ---
    Frankly it's a toss-up for the original content, though it seems like Netflix is more willing to toss stuff out there and hope it works (I'm looking at you, Adam Sandler) whereas AZ seems to take more care to focus on what they expect will be successful. for movies, this is unscientific but it seems there's more interesting stuff available on AZ lately. Can't remember the last time I found a decent movie on Netflix. For TV shows, AZ is a clear winner, with much more interesting options.

4. picciano macrumors member

With Amazon Prime app coming out, it sure looks like Netflix picked the wrong month to raise their rates.

5. lmac33 macrumors newbie

lmac33

I'm running a projector so there are no built-in 'smarts.' But 126 inches of glorious image is worth any of the inconveniences involved :)

6. archer75 macrumors 65816

Oh i'd make it work. I've had a surround system since I lived at home. First apartment and every place I lived since then. You don't have to crank it up to get the benefit.

7. Ronkdar macrumors newbie

Ronkdar

Same here. Error message about some hdcp issue...

8. archer75 macrumors 65816

Both 4k and HDR work.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:14 AM ---
    For HDR10, yes. Dolby Vision requires HDMI 1.4

9. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Judging by response, a successful attempt.;)
    :)

10. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

When you have Stranger Things + Punisher (Marvel etc etc) you aren't worried about a thing. They'll do this until people catch on that it's an absurd price per month.

11. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Back in June Amazon said Prime Video was coming to Gen. 2, 3, & 4 ATVs, but, now they say compatible with Gen. 3 and up, but, if it shows up on your Gen. 2 ATV, let us know.

The TV app with universal search and up next totally changes the streaming experience on ATV 4th Gen. & ATV 4K, I recommend either, if you don't have a 4K set you could go for an ATV 4th gen refurb. or on sale at a decent price. (Only thing, Netflix isn't working with TV app at this point.)

12. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Nah, it was a swing and a miss, but you're generally batting around .850-.900, so I'll assume it just a fluke :D

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

As long as you tip your server we ain't never gonna have a pro'lem.

14. vince22 macrumors member

got 2 apple tv 4k loaded with amazon prime video app and amazon 4k and 4k HDR movies/shows works great with my old65c7, but not with my samsung 4k non-hdr tv, even just amazon 4k (non-hdr) movies, just keep loading forever? exactly the same hdmi cables used, apple 4k/hdr movies plays fine with my samsung 4k tv (non-hdr).

15. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Streaming in 4K and surround sound not there and maybe never will. Those media folks want to make the high quality users buy the Blue-ray disks, even better go to the theaters, so streaming competing in quality will be slow if ever to compete on quality. Then add the technology challenges, want quality sound and video, buy or rent physical media.

16. ersan191, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM

ersan191 macrumors regular

This isn’t necessarily true. Amazon and Netflix might not be all that great but you can certainly rent or buy much higher quality 4K content from iTunes

17. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

On the 5.1 issue, I just compared some 5.1 content on my LG TV's Amazon app vs the ATV, and sure enough, 5.1 works fine on my LG.

Hopefully this is just a bug on Amazon's part and will be fixed soon.

18. archer75 macrumors 65816

It is very much the case. Dolby Vision requires HDMI 1.4b.
    And dolby vision does not sit on top of HDR10. It is its own thing. They are both based off the same technology though. That is why you will see some streaming services, apple included, that offer Dolby vision but no HDR10(on certain titles). Sometimes they have both.
    Netflix has both but if your TV only supports HDR10 it has to convert and process from Dolby Vision to HDR10. Netflix has a technical write up on this.

Dolby Vision used to require end to end hardware but early this year they announced they can do it with software only. This is an article that covers that but there are many, many more:
    https://www.cepro.com/article/dolby_vision_hdr_will_be_available_as_software_upgrade

19. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

The defining word higher. Like music streaming, never quite the quality of media. The folks here wanting streaming to replace physical media, maybe disappointed as noted by all the streaming quality posts. Ok with me, the convenience of streaming, streaming attractive costs, and the ability of physical media when need works. Set expectations.

20. ThatGuyInLa macrumors regular

ThatGuyInLa

Amazon does not work in HDR. At least the shows I tried. (ones listed as UHD HDR)

21. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

It's a nice convenience that I don't have to switch remotes to check out what's on Amazon now. And that I can use the universal voice search with it.

22. archer75 macrumors 65816

Then there's an issue with your setup.

23. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

24. archer75 macrumors 65816

25. arthography macrumors newbie

universal search works in prime and most important applications on the apple tv. that thing saves a lot of time!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:35 AM ---
    quite annoyingly it has its own UI for entering the adult PIN number, I'd rather input it by voice, but no option. How this passed apple's QA process it's beyond me.