Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Happy iPhone launch day part deux! Today is the official release day for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini, which join the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 that were released last month. We picked up the new iPhone 12 mini and Pro Max for an unboxing, hands-on, and quick video comparison.

At 5.4-inches, the iPhone 12 mini is the smallest iPhone that Apple has released since the 2016 iPhone SE, and the 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max is the largest iPhone to date, so seeing these two devices side-by-side is a bit comical. The iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is a dual-handed use phone, looks enormous next to the super tiny mini, which can be used one-handed.

iphone-12-mini-pro-max-boxes.jpg

For most people, MacRumors videographer Dan included, the 6.1-inch size of the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro may be the sweet spot, but those who want light weight, one-handed use, and better pocketability will love the mini. For most screen real estate, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is the device to choose, and many of us here at MacRumors are fans of Apple's largest phone.

iphone-12-mini-in-hand-1.jpg

The 12 Pro Max offers a lot more screen real estate when browsing the web and using apps than the iPhone 12 or 12 mini, but it is a good deal heavier than Apple's other iPhones. Weight wise, it's not too far off from the iPhone 11 Pro Max for those that have that iPhone, but it is much more hefty than the iPhone 12 or 12 mini.

iphone-12-mini-front.jpg

We got the iPhone 12 Pro Max in silver and the color is almost a bright white, which looks fantastic. It has shiny silver edges, and the silver color seems to be better at concealing fingerprints than the blue iPhone with matching blue edges. Our iPhone 12 mini is red, and the red shade this year is brighter than usual like a shiny candy apple, and it too looks great.

iphone-12-mini-pro-max-side-by-side.jpg

The mini is so small that the Wallet accessory that Apple made goes right to the edges of the phone (it's the same width), which makes for an odd look. We also picked up a Leather case and the wallet attachment seems more slippery compared to the Silicone case, which is something to keep in mind.

iphone-12-lineup-all.jpg

The iPhone 12 mini has the same camera as the iPhone 12 and takes identical pictures, but the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a triple-lens camera with a sensor that's better than the sensor in the iPhone 12 Pro, giving it the best camera out of the bunch. Even though it has the best camera, the cameras in the other iPhones are quite good, and you may not see too much difference between them in standard lighting situations. You should, however, see some slightly better performance out of the 12 Pro Max in low lighting conditions.

iphone-12-mini-iphone-12-pro-max-in-hand.jpg

We took some comparison shots with the new iPhones and shared them in the video, so make sure to give it a watch to see if you can tell the difference in photo quality.

iphone-12-mini-pro-max-stickers.jpg
The iPhone 12 Pro Max comes with an extra large Apple sticker​

We're going to have more in-depth coverage of the new iPhones coming next week, including a camera comparison across the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max, so make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors for all of your iPhone news.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Mini

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I just got my 12 pro max 256 gig. pacific blue.

the transfer experience has been flawless.

Love the feel of this phone so far.

Love the satisfying click for mag safe.

the screen is PURTY!

I came from an iPhone XS max was not completely backed up. but the new iPhone "asked" and "told" my old phone to back up all the way, then start my restore from icloud.

LOVED THAT!!!

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I got my iPhone 12 Pro Max today! Gold in color. 256GB storage as spending $1500 to go up to $512GB too much money!

I got $700 off by trading in my iPhone 8 Plus 256GB space gray. THANK YOU ATT! could never get $700 selling it outright.

I got the max cause I'm totally into shooting Video and still pictures. So having the best Camera is important to me

PS. nice family you have. nice kids. thanks for sharing with us!

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Definitely NOT a fan of the anodized coating on the aluminum "bumper" of my Mini. It's going to get scratched up quickly for people (such as myself) that go naked. Probably going to have to put a "film" over it.....ugh.

The rest of the phone looked nice though. I didn't get a chance to play with it yet, as it arrived right as I was leaving for work.

laff

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
Got my iPhone Mini today - Taking me a little time to get use to it as moving from iPhone X and the similar sized iPhones before...So been a while since had this size of phone.

Overall quick and nice to have a small phone - just weird as not use to it being so small. I am one that prefers the rounded corners of the iPhone X, etc...but that's me. Going to give it some time and see if ok living with it. I would say if I had a larger phone (Max or iPhone 11) may be harder than moving from an "X" since moving down from a 5.8, not a 6.1" or larger.

Anyone else may like it but seems a little weird to get use to?

Reactions: JWiLL1988 and rjp1

Jezrix

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Got the white mini as an extra phone. Like it, however the silver apple logo bleeds grey around it in the light. I am not into cases, so I cannot stop looking at it and it’s annoying!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
So far, I like my mini. It's the first time I've used FaceID and I'm really impressed with how quick and easy it is. I didn't think I'd like it more than TouchID, but I do. Wearing a mask is definitely a problem, though. For me, the mini is the perfect size I've been wanting; it fits perfectly in my shirt pocket, it's easy to hold. And it's remarkably light. The screen to me seems dimmer than my iPhone 8 and it doesn't have as wide a viewing angle as the 8 either. But I think this will be a great device that will last me for a number of years.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
my iMac 27" that was just updated with Big Sur not seeing my new iPhone 12 Max when connected with supplied USB C to lightning cable. Anyone else have this problem? my backup from my iPhone 8 Plus is stored in iTunes

new procedure in Big Sur?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I just got my 12 pro max 256 gig. pacific blue.

the transfer experience has been flawless.

Love the feel of this phone so far.

Love the satisfying click for mag safe.

the screen is PURTY!

I came from an iPhone XS max was not completely backed up. but the new iPhone "asked" and "told" my old phone to back up all the way, then start my restore from icloud.

LOVED THAT!!!

Yes. The switching experience is so incredibly seamless. Apple did a great job with that. I remember the first time I switched just by putting the two phones next to each other. Definitely one of those “magical” moments.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Love my pro max but Apple seriously needs to give us multitasking on this giant screen
I’ve been a Plus user since the 6 Plus first came out and using my new 12 Pro Max is the first time I felt, “yep, it’s a small tablet.” It’s just GIGANTIC in usable space. There is so much padding around the icons it’s crazy. It’s begging for a better UI. Even at the smallest text size it can still go smaller and be totally readable. I’d say it’s twice the font size compared to the same setting on an iPhone 7.

What I wasn’t prepared for was how great the screen is and how fantastic the speakers are. It’s absolutely usable as a TV. The sound is immersive and the HDR is just incredible. I mean, you have to use it to understand how good it is.

My advice for people coming from older devices is to absolutely upgrade. The hype is real and it’s fantastic!

F54ACA9A-CA2D-4279-B5D0-DCDD3B1312A3.jpeg 6E65D648-D2AE-46E3-ABD9-CBE1F2E5F29A.jpeg 9DAE9E63-199D-4613-B2FE-1BFFD468ECFB.jpeg EDC6864B-76B4-4003-A078-35AA383698E7.jpeg

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Because the phone looks like jewelry and fingerprints on jewelry doesn’t look good.

Umm. Don’t care for the shine flat edges. Makes it look stupid not like jewelry. Definitely less comfortable to hold.

Not only that but you see a gold (depending on what color you bought) border around screen. Who wants that? Should be all black.

Hopefully we see space black next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
I’ve been a Plus user since the 6 Plus first came out and using my new 12 Pro Max is the first time I felt, “yep, it’s a small tablet.” It’s just GIGANTIC in usable space. There is so much padding around the icons it’s crazy. It’s begging for a better UI. Even at the smallest text size it can stilll go smaller and be totally readable. I’d say it’s twice the font size compared to the same setting on an iPhone 7.

What I wasn’t prepared for was how great the screen is and how fantastic the speakers are. It’s absolutely usable as a TV. The sound is immersive and the HDR is just incredible. I mean, you have to use it to understand how good it is.

My advice for people coming from older devices is to absolutely upgrade. The hype is real and it’s fantastic! View attachment 1665576 View attachment 1665577 View attachment 1665578 View attachment 1665579
Wow. Yeah that padding crazy. Can you add another row of icons at the bottom?

Reactions: kiensoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.