Hands-On With the New July 2019 13-Inch MacBook Pro

ghanwani

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I bought one of these new "entry-level" MacBook Pros before knowing that the 128GB SSD is slower than usual (and it's the same for last 2019 MacBook Air updates) so I was very disappointed because I was afraid to get the same slow speed SSD. I don't know about any review online concerning the New July 2019 13-inch Macbook Pro with 512SSD but I launched by myself the Blackmagic Speed Test on my Macbook and it showed the same value you get with higher tier Macbook Pros with SSD starting from 256SSD. Honestly, I don't know anything about the speed of 2TB or 4TB SSDs.
By 2TB and 4TB I meant thunderbolt ports. Sorry for the confusion.

There are some reviews that show even at 256 there is a difference in speed. The write speeds are comparable but still slightly better on the 4TB port model and the read speeds are quite a bit slower (20-30% if I recall correctly).

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Still in high school?
Just pointing out the absurdity of releasing a $1300 refreshed laptop, which instantly goes onto a recall list, lol.

Like ... Apple released a redesigned MacBook, and instantly placed it onto a recall list. They did that. How that isn’t crazy to anybody is beyond me. Rather than see it as an admission of poor hardware and a badly designed keyboard, people here actually defended it and pretended it’s a good thing Apple is covering keyboard defects for 4 years.

Yes...because they know it’s trash. Lmao. So silly.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
www.citysnaps.net
Just pointing out the absurdity of releasing a $1300 refreshed laptop, which instantly goes onto a recall list, lol.

Like ... Apple released a redesigned MacBook, and instantly placed it onto a recall list. They did that. How that isn’t crazy to anybody is beyond me. Rather than see it as an admission of poor hardware and a badly designed keyboard, people here actually defended it and pretended it’s a good thing Apple is covering keyboard defects for 4 years.

While that's an adorable big bowl of buh-blah, my MBP personal real-life experience still stands. A shame you don't have one to share.

If mine were stolen, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
While that's an adorable big bowl of buh-blah, my MBP personal real-life experience still stands. A shame you don't have one to share.

How blind are you, a brand new product that goes straight into the recall list and you still defend it?? Oh my!!

They are saying "buy this computer that we know it has a crappy keyboard and we'll fix it" how is that not the most outrageous thing about a new laptop, I'm not upgrading to any of this models until they change the keyboard for good.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I think this model is finally the one to get me to upgrade my late 2013 13" rMBP. I used to never keep a laptop this long (almost 6 years now) but I really haven't seen anything in Apple's laptop line up that made me want to upgrade. Now that they have dropped the price for storage, I will probably be ordering a 13" MBP with maximum RAM and SSD within the next couple of weeks.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

Not a recall list, it’s a warranty extension. It’s meant to assuage the fears of those who are concerned about the keyboard. It’s difficult to know what the long term reliability of the latest revision will be, but at least a customer contemplating purchase won’t have to worry whether these models will be covered by the extended warranty.

Zen_Arcade

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2019
Anyone run Blackmagic to test the SSD speed on these yet?

If you spec it out to 512gb SSD and 16GB ram it comes out to $1900 which sounds much better than $2200 for the slightly faster 2.4 i5 model, though you get an additional two thunderbolt 3 ports with that model. Thoughts?
And better graphics . . .

I'd be inclined to the 2.4 at that difference, though not solidly. A refurb 2018 2.3/16/1TB 13" is $1799 . . . and the 2.7 GHz i7 is $2024.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009

It is a shame because I haven’t bought one since the addition of the faulty touchbar/keyboard, and I won’t again until the design improves. I understand the value of $1300 and don’t pass that around freely to any company with a shiny new product. I also haven’t bought any iPhone designs since the notch and I won’t until that’s gone, either. Bad design is bad design.
[doublepost=1563854789][/doublepost]
Not a recall list, it’s a warranty extension. It’s meant to assuage the fears of those who are concerned about the keyboard. It’s difficult to know what the long term reliability of the latest revision will be, but at least a customer contemplating purchase won’t have to worry whether these models will be covered by the extended warranty.
Call it what you want but it’s essentially acknowledging a faulty product design. No company on earth wants to willingly replace an entire keyboard and battery for up to four years free of charge. It’s essentially a recall the same way the iPhone batteries were recalled with the free swap program. This time to avoid consumer backlash they’re calling it a “warranty extension” because “we messed up again” won’t sell as many units.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Besides the mechanism being crap, the space between the keys is so much smaller it is harder to feel the edges of keys, making it easier to get off center or onto another key.
Thank you! The extra key area is worse than useless. Unless your fingers are inhumanly tiny, you can't hit that extra area without hitting the adjacent key. And now it's easier to accidentally do that.

I have the 2016 model at work. I gave up on it after a few months, and now the keyboard is just covered with another keyboard that doesn't suck.
[doublepost=1563855090][/doublepost]

Your personal real-life experience is that you own AAPL stock and want people to buy more of it.
[doublepost=1563855139][/doublepost]Quad core i5 on the entry-level model, pretty impressive. I'm glad we're pretty much past having to consider "is my CPU fast enough."

Last edited:

GtrDude

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Keyboard is a joke but it's also too bad they're still pushing this touchbar stuff.
It's like they're simply going to force this upon their users no matter what.

In the first video in this story Steve Jobs is proud to advertise that Apple listens to its customers and delivers on their customers demands.

Those days are long gone. Today, Apple tells us what we like, what we want and how it's gonna be.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/21/ibook-turns-20/

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBoy2018

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Call it what you want but it’s essentially acknowledging a faulty product design. No company on earth wants to willingly replace an entire keyboard and battery for up to four years free of charge.
<snip>
True, and maybe Apple doesn’t think they’ll have to replace all that many.

In any case—especially for business/corporate buyers who replace on a three or four year cycle—it reduces the hesitancy one could understandably have in buying the latest revision (with unknown long term reliability) of a keyboard with a particularly troubled past.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I think my next Mac will be a 14” MacBook Pro with a Retina Pro-Motion display, completely redesigned keyboard, 32GB of RAM, an Apple-designed CPU and GPU that will have up to 12 hours of battery life (under normal load) and performance comparable to a higher-end 2019 iMac 5K, when needed.

Absolute perfection would be support for Apple Pencil, a 4K OLED display, some kind of an iPad-like touch mode when folded over, a UHS-II SD card slot, four USB-C ports, and Face ID unlock when you open it with a 4K FaceTime camera. Also bring back the glowing Apple Logo and make it available in Space Black instead of Space Gray.

MikeSmoke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
Come on. Get real and get honest. The reason Apple includes the most recent Laptops in the keyboard replacement program is to reassure customers that they are covered and protected in the rare event that the keyboard fails. What more does a customer want when buying a MacBook Pro?
[doublepost=1563862007][/doublepost]What’s more, I have seen no evidence that Apple’s corporate policy is to screw their customers. That would be a brain dead policy. Apple continues in every case where I have dealt with them to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
i've heard (i think from zoneoftech rview) that this entry level macbook is supposed to almost match full spec 2019 mbp 13" 2.8 ghz i7 16gb ram. the geekbench scores are supposed to be on par with 2.8. now mr states it has four cores and is blazing fast. can someone confirm? i got the 2.8 i7 and it is super fast and would like to know if entry level is supposed to match the top of the line.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Regardless what Ive calls: "What we make testifies who we are" clownish keyboard, I just bought one.
I got mine with 16 GB Ram and 512 GB SSD.
Benchmarks says that the 128GB SSD is much slower in this entry level Mac Pro. I have to say that if you buy the upgrade to 512GB SSD you get the same SSD speed of more expensive Mac Pros.
Could you please post the numbers you get from the 512gb SSD on blackmagic or other tools?

I can't find them anywhere its the spec I would be interested in.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The keyboard failure is due to thermal issues. All other reasons are complete non-sense. There was an wonderfully thorough walk through on the issue posted by someone on reddit, I can't find it right now, but it's a logical and technical overview of the issue.

Anyways, I've mentioned it numerous times here but at my employer (international corp with ~13k employees), I was told by the IT manager at our office that they were seeing ~17% keyboard failure rate on 2016+ MBP models and this was one of the driving factors to the company no longer allowing purchase of MBP's. They've also phased out support over the last year or two since this decision.
Have you experienced the issue?

incoherent_1

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2016
This.

I just recently went through a keyboard (and logic board) replacement with my 2018 13" MBP. I was without a machine for 10 days. Especially if you have a BTO model and end up needing more than just the keyboard repaired, you could be looking at over a week without your machine. If you're like me and rely on your mac for work this is just flat out unacceptable.

Oh, and just FYI, Apple seems to be treating display coating/de-lamination issues on the 2018~2019 models as "user damage," (wheres it was treated as a defect on 2017 and earlier models) and refusing to fix it under the warranty/AppleCare (without using an incident).

While I think they're great machines otherwise, and the 2019 keyboard is definitely another nice incremental upgrade (vs the 2018), the level of service on a machine this expensive (and with an extended warranty to boot) is just really not ok.

My advice, if you need to get your MBP repaired and have an Apple Store (or BestBuy) nearby, do yourself a favor and get yourself a "loaner" (14 day return policy) while you wait.
For the lamination issues, try shopping around to different Apple stores if you're lucky enough to be near multiple or travel often.

The first Apple store I took mine to (Southampton UK) was -- hands down -- the worst Apple store I have ever dealt with. They refused to fix the screen, then promised to fix the keyboard in a set period and missed their own deadline (then subsequently denied they ever promised the machine in any period of time). Beyond that, the staff was unprofessional and the place just seemed like a mess, but I digress.

The second store fixed it in half the time promised by the other store and I didn't even have to ask about the display coating -- my technician looked at it and proactively offered to replace it free of charge, which is the way it should be. (They're a larger and busier store than Southampton so I don't think size has anything to do with it)

Point being: if your screen coating gets particularly bad, try different stores if you can.

Reactions: Malus120

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Damn this machine looks great. The second they put good keyboards back in I’m going to abuse my credit card :)

Reactions: fairuz