Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Slightly offf topic, I really like the guy in the video's home screen. It's all black including the dock and the folders. I also liked how the folders are lined up, but that's easy to do. To make the home screen all black you use a one-pixel black image as your wallpaper. Here is a link describing how to do it and a photo of the effect.

Black Home Screen

IMG_0274.PNG

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is pretty cool but it's not quite there yet, although I guess OK for casual use -- how effective you think it is depends on how closely you're looking, your level of photographic knowledge, and how much you care about the details.

There are definitely artifacts visible around the edges of the figurine where the blur engine had trouble determining how to blur naturally.

In the Sony shot (or any traditional camera), you can see that round bokeh trademark shape in brighter bits and specular highlights, where the iPhone kind of "mushes" those.

Finally, there is no foreground blur. If there's a subject closer to the lens than the main subject, it should also be out of focus.

However, it's not hard to imagine that in future iPhones, the 9 layers of depth mapping will turn into 20 (or whatever), which will probably allow for more natural transitions and foreground blur, since there's more layers to spread around the scene. And obviously the software can get better at blurring around edges, and could even add specular highlight artifacts. Sharper, brighter, higher-resolution lenses should yield more data to process in the algorithm.

This is a really impressive start, but the feature should get a lot better in iPhone 8-9.

Last edited:

2dfx

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Samsung had this feature since Galaxy S5, Selective Focus. Works pretty damn good on the newer Galaxy phones. Can't wait for this to get pushed. Some might say it's gimmicky, but it really creates some really cool shots based on your subject and background.

ScottButler

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Sunderland, UK
Apple will have teams working non-stop to perfect this. If they fix the halo effect described in the video, the 'depth effect' will be almost identical to that Sony camera.

Also with this being software, if Apple wanted to, surely we could have a slider to set the amount of background blur to customise the shot to our liking.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
All Sony mirrorless DSLR cameras do this in real time.

It's either mirrorless OR dslr, they are different types of digital cameras. But yeah, both can do it in real time because of the lens, not something thats software generated like on the iPhone.

Reactions: JCrz

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Wow this actually looks pretty good. Might make me get a 7+, we'll see... Obviously needs some work, but for a first beta I'm impressed.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
You must know little about photography. It's fairly average at best. Good for a quick snap though.

I know lots and lots about photography and most of the samples I have seen look very impressive given they are. All phone shots. Do the match my 5DS with my 135 f2.0 or 400 f2.8??? Nope, but they are quite impressive for the equipment they were shot on.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Most people know what a portrait is, very, very few people (among the general iPhone user base) know what Bokeh is. And the vast majority of people also know that the word 'portrait' can be used to describe the orientation of a non-square rectangle as well as images of (usually) single persons.
I agree that 'bokeh' is not a widely-known term among non-photographers. But I also think calling it 'portrait' is problematic, especially since they already have a mode called 'square' that describes the aspect ratio, and 'portrait' is commonly used in that context. 'Blur' or 'Depth' or 'Focused' or something might have been better terms.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yikes, this is a major advancement. One of those things you have to see to appreciate ( on/off)

It makes the image 'pop'. Strange......

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This is exactly why in chose the 7 for this gen, it's exactly how I thought it would be. Not bad but not perfected yet. I'm sure they'll have it down by the time the 10th gen iPhone rolls out. I'll be picking it up then.

It was a tough debate for me but ultimately for this generation we got a beta test phone, IMO it was better to save a few bucks vs getting a phone with unpolished features.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This is exactly why in chose the 7 for this gen, it's exactly how I thought it would be. Not bad but not perfected yet. I'm sure they'll have it down by the time the 10th gen iPhone rolls out. I'll be picking it up then.

It was a tough debate for me but ultimately for this generation we got a beta test phone, IMO it was better to save a few bucks vs getting a phone with unpolished features.

It could go either way though, you can't know. They could roll out updates that fix it, like soon. .....or not.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Third party apps will make this better. Looking forward to those apps proving how good this concept can be.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
How is shallow depth of field a gimmick? It's a staple of photography.
It's an artistic gimmick that happens to also be a staple of photography. Lots of great photographers use the gimmick to great effect in their work. I'm no great photographer, but I'm looking forward to using this impressive gimmick in some of my iPhone photos!

Reactions: friedmud

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
While the effect is pretty good, some of that halo effect / tearing effect was pretty egregious.

I'd essentially view this feature as a gimmick or filter more than something worthy of serious photography.

Reactions: 5105973 and MrXiro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.