Hands-On With the New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X Leather Folio

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple early this week introduced new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus models, which officially launched today. As of this morning, the new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone devices are available for purchase in Apple retail stores, and the first (PRODUCT)RED orders have been delivered to customers.

We got our hands on one of the new candy Apple-colored devices to check out how the new bright red shade looks with a glass body, and, as is no surprise, it's gorgeous.

Apple in 2017 introduced (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models, but those devices paired an aluminum shell with a white front plate. 2018's (PRODUCT)RED options are arguably more attractive with a glossy red glass backplate, a red aluminum shell, and a black faceplate for the first time.

The red and black combo is undeniably attractive, and the iPhone 8's glass body looks fantastic with such a bright red shade. Other than the new color, though, the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are identical to existing iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models introduced back in September.

Apple's (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are priced the same as other iPhone 8 models, with Apple charging $699 for the 64GB iPhone 8, $849 for the 256GB iPhone 8, $799 for the 64GB iPhone 8 Plus, and $949 for the 256GB iPhone 8 Plus.

Ahead of the unveiling of the 2018 (PRODUCT)RED devices, there were rumors suggesting Apple might also debut a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X, but no red iPhone X materialized. Instead, Apple introduced a new (PRODUCT)RED Leather Folio for the iPhone X, which is nice looking but somewhat of a disappointment compared to the new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Given how nice a bright, colorful red shade looks when paired with a glass body, we're hoping Apple plans to expand to other colors in the iPhone lineup in the future. What do you think of the new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X Leather Folio

2. NagasakiGG macrumors member

I am really playing with my mind to trade my 256GB iPX for 256GB Product Red 8+ lol

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

4. apppen1 macrumors 6502a

apppen1

5. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I don't know why, but it looks nicer in this lighting than MHKBD's video.

Looks nice :D

6. Moonlight macrumors 6502a

Moonlight

Why can't they make a red iPhoneX???? I would sell mine and buy it in a second. But I can't go back to an iPhone without FaceID and bottom swipe gestures. They are too good.

7. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Shows how hard up we are for interesting output from a near Trillion dollar company!

8. scottcampbell macrumors member

9. FourDegrees macrumors newbie

On Apple.com it's PRODUCT(RED)™ or (RED)®

So, take your pick.

10. Soccertess macrumors 6502a

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The quintessential perfect combo: This RED iPhone 8 along with a RED iPad Pro 10.5 coupled with RED (or black?) earpods.

12. sos47 macrumors regular

sos47

so much better than the 7th with that ugly white. chapeau apple.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Emerald green with a black bezel please. There is the volume to expand the range of colours, and have actual colour, not more variations on drab.

14. kanki1985 macrumors newbie

15. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Apple uses (PRODUCT)RED or (RED). Example: Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 2.09.32 PM.png

16. newellj macrumors 603

Because bright-ish red isn't possible with the PVD process being used by Apple to color the bands on the iPhone X.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The color of the iPhone isn’t as significant to some, but the actual meaning behind Product Red is and what it stands for, and What it contributes too.

18. newellj macrumors 603

Some do, some don't! What if you could only get Space Gray with black bezels? Choice is good, even if you don't want what's offered.

19. gregbenj macrumors member

gregbenj

I'm going to try speaking with upward inflection at the end of my sentences like this guy. I doubt I can do it for very long

20. apppen1 macrumors 6502a

apppen1

I'm speaking about the fact of making a huge deal about it since it introduces nothing but another colour choice.

21. dwhittington macrumors regular

dwhittington

My son wanted the red one so we went in today to get one. Could not believe the color is much more amazing than it shows online. Reminded me of a red Corvette.

22. newellj macrumors 603

But you've posted in the other threads on this and seen how some people feel. Some people are really excited about this color. That's fine. You and I don't have to be.

23. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

That really is a gorgeous color. If it had been available when I bought my iPhone 8 last year, I would have gotten it.

24. Attirex macrumors 6502

The more I seed the RED iPhone 8, the more I don't like my X and wish I had the 8. FaceID isn't great, and overall the X hardware/UI experience is fiddly (horrible button placement and the touchscreen is almost too sensitive/fast). Oh well.

25. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Is the colour a way of subliminally showing people the state of your bank balance after having just bought one?