Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
PIP would be nice if you could stream two separate video streams at once. That would be great for watching one game while keeping up,with another instead of using 2 TVs if yours doesn't support PIP.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Some people want to download once to their computer and stream across their network instead of streaming from the cloud, due to either usage limits or bandwidth issues.

I can't speak for the OP, but I think you misunderstood. I would love to see the computers app go away... but that doesn't mean I don't want to stream locally. The issue is IMO that there doesn't need to be an artificial and ultimately confusing segregation between content based on the SOURCE rather than the type. If I've got movies on my Mac, they should just show up in the list of movies. Why make us go to one app for Internet-based streaming content and a different app for Locally-hosted content?

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
It’s garbage because the remote is trash. Your PIP demo illustrated that quite nicely. Seriously. It’s a joke.
[doublepost=1561597295][/doublepost]
Apple got rid of an amazing feature and added an annoying one. They got rid of the amazing top shelf "up next" option which let me continue watching content without entering the Apple TV app. And they added picture in picture which I often accidentally toggle without meaning to. It's way too easy to hit while trying to scrub through a video or fast forward/rewind. Apple NEEDS to add an option in settings to hide it.

How about a remote with multiple buttons dedicated to features? Whah?!!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Some people want to download once to their computer and stream across their network instead of streaming from the cloud, due to either usage limits or bandwidth issues.
Yes I know. Im saying all your iTunes Home Sharing content should be put into the TV and Music app, respectively. Instead of how it is now, the Computers.app.

It done correctly on iOS.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I just want to know if two people can connect their AirPods and listen to a movie at the same time?

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
Feature request: passcode for switching between multiuser profiles.
Or unlock with your iPhone
[doublepost=1561600173][/doublepost]
I can't speak for the OP, but I think you misunderstood. I would love to see the computers app go away... but that doesn't mean I don't want to stream locally. The issue is IMO that there doesn't need to be an artificial and ultimately confusing segregation between content based on the SOURCE rather than the type. If I've got movies on my Mac, they should just show up in the list of movies. Why make us go to one app for Internet-based streaming content and a different app for Locally-hosted content?
Or support DLNA which many cheap nas already support.

Reactions: MrSweaters

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Feature request: passcode for switching between multiuser profiles.

I'm sorry, that'd be terrible. Do you enjoy typing with the AppleTV remote? o_O

I think that the solution is voice ID. The next Siri remote needs to have higher fidelity microphones to be able to identify who's asking. An alternative is Touch ID built into the remote but that starts to get very expensive for a remote that's already $75.

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Any updates to the 4k movie count in the Library icon? All other genre/lists counts are there except the 4k/HDR purchases. Really bad missing info for users since tvOS 12...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Got a new ATV 4K about a month ago. I like that I can install apps (like Plex), but overall I definitely prefer the pre-tvOS interface.

I’ve also put away the Siri remote and gone back to the silver one which came with my old ATV 3. That swipe remote is such a step backwards.

The TV app is ludicrously redundant. “Yo, dawg...”

Reactions: cecil444

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
This is probably more of an iOS thing rather than tvOS, but I’d like the option to validate my ATV purchases with a confirmation pop up on an already worn and unlocked Apple Watch rather than having to scramble for my iPhone and type my [long] Apple ID password using the onscreen keyboard notification. Buy on tvOS, confirm on wrist. That would be great.

Regarding tvOS specifically, I’d also like to see more UI consistency across the system. Currently, play controls and viewable information are completely different depending on whether you’re viewing through the TV app, the TV Shows or Movies apps, and third party apps such as Netflix and Prime. Very irritating to have to remember which app you used to launch the movie/show before interacting with the remote while you’re watching it. Also, the ‘played’ tick is only seen for TV show episode lists when viewing in the TV app, not when viewed in the library.

All-in-all, although I really like my Apple TV 4K, some of the UI inconsistencies and conflicting design decisions are nonsensical to the point I’m sometimes left wondering who on Earth decided it was ok to add unnecessary friction in the user experience. Very un-Apple.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Can anyone confirm is this update fixes the colour banding issue when Frame Rate and Range match are on for HDR sources.

Currently when the frame rate is 24FPS and the ATV matches the refresh rate to 24Hz it changes either the chroma or colour depth to cause banding.

This doesn't occur if you leave the system refresh at 60Hz and let the ATV and projector/TV pulldown the frames (5:5 120hz for me, or 3:2 for most 60Hz TVs)

Also, if you see the banding by matching the frame rate, it never goes away even if making the 60Hz system settign active and disabling the frame match it still bands.

Only when you reset the video settings and manually set 4k 60Hz Range match on, and Frame Rate off does it return to normal and work correctly again.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I'm hoping that the multi user profile will allow my wife to view her photos on the ATV as it is only my account is linked to it.
Our kids LOVE the Memories feature of the iOS Photos App. I think it is one of the best things Apple has ever done in software. Finally a way to summarise and enjoy the vast amount of media you gather on your family.

Reactions: cecil444

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
The problem with Netflix is that it autoplays trailers with sound. The AppleTV header plays silently. I think that it's great. It creates a more dynamic UI. Besides, it can be turned off if you really hate it.
Totally agree
[doublepost=1561613207][/doublepost]
Got a new ATV 4K about a month ago. I like that I can install apps (like Plex), but overall I definitely prefer the pre-tvOS interface.

I’ve also put away the Siri remote and gone back to the silver one which came with my old ATV 3. That swipe remote is such a step backwards.

The TV app is ludicrously redundant. “Yo, dawg...”
Siti remote is not that bad, touch can give you more control when you are used to. it is also more useful than the older one for many things especially for basic gaming. Anyway using a controller is much more better for 99% of titles

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I lost HomeKit.

I had to switch HOME over to my iPad. I think it is because I have my iTunes set to one email and my iCloud/HomeKit set to another email.

So far it doesn’t feel slower or glitches any worse for wear. Quite excited to see how this turns out.

Too scared to test it on my iPad or iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.