Hands-On With the New tvOS 13 Update for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Rique macrumors regular

Have you tried un-checking "get beta updates" (can't recall the exact wording, but the option is in software updates) and then re-starting the ATV? After the re-start, try again checking "get betas" and restart again - did that help?

I had the same issue and I'm not sure what I did, but I was able to get it to show up (could be just some random factor).

2. gk4 macrumors newbie

I have the opposite point of view. Earlier devices needed stuff like plex and transcoding servers (or having you specifically re-encode movies into the needed codecs and profiles). ATV 4k is strong enough that it can natively run a VLC type app that can handle all media on the device.

i have my videos sitting on a PC, and have that folder shared to the network (SMB). I then use the inFuse app (which can connect to network shares) to play those videos. The inFuse app does all the stuff you'd expect from a plex type app (scanning library, finding metadata and artwork, etc.). It does all this without needing any app running on the actual computer that's sharing the files.