Hands-On With the New tvOS 13 Update for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2019.

1. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

^This. I despise the new remote and quickly replaced it with a Harmony remote. Hopefully my Harmony remote can be programmed to access the new features.

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

3. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

My 4k ATV wakes from sleep much slower than non 4k ATV. Is that normal?

4. Ccondo macrumors newbie

The one feature I want more than any is the ability to output bitstream audio. With apps like Infuse I could stream UHD/Atmos MKV files and would eliminate a whole separate device that I currently have to use for just that feature. I do not understand why Apple locks it down to PCM output only.

5. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

My guess is that you will be able to turn this feature off in Settings.

6. ssspinball macrumors 6502

Did they seriously add user profiles and not include Photos support?! :confused: Because only one person in every household has pictures to share...

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Photos is based on iCloud Account and MultiUser is based on iTunes Account. DUMB. My wife and I Share the iTunes Account for Purchase and use our iCloud Account for everything else. I can not ever create 2 user profiles using the same iTunes Account. This causes problems with Purchased Content when not using our share iTunes Account.

8. SteveW928 macrumors 68000

SteveW928

I wonder if they'll be able to coax Minecraft back now with the good controller support?
    (IMO, things would have gone so much better for gaming on iOS on the whole if it hadn't taken Apple so may years to finally get that right.)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2019 ---
    I gave up on Apple and photos. :( (And, Apple and music). I'm currently testing Plex. Apple sometimes gets this stuff right, but then they often ruin it, or it never gets right-enough in the first place. (That said, Plex seems to be missing some brain-dead-simple features, too... it almost makes one wonder if the folks who make these apps have ever used them.)

9. shenfrey macrumors 68000

So nobody is going to mention that app launch times are much faster? Guess I’m the only one who cares about performance and apple should go back to throttling.

10. SteveW928 macrumors 68000

SteveW928

Cool, performance improvements sound good. But, 'go back to throttling'??? Huh?

11. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I don’t really mean that, just frustrated that nobody is mentioning performance when it should be the number one thing on the list

12. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

I think the performance is overshadowed by the slowness of using the error-causing remote and navigating the mess of a system. Fixing these would speed things up more than any technical advances.

13. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Wrong thread

14. Bob1985 macrumors member

Bob1985

Hate autoplay. Keeps me from wanting to go into Netflix. I wish that could all be turned off everywhere. Bad bad bad.

15. ceraz macrumors member

16. ceraz macrumors member

I sympathise.

In the old days of ATV1 with a large internal disk you could simply sync a huge bunch of personal movies, photos, CD-rips. A hobby product that simply worked for family use.

The internal HDD went to favour "modern" cool streaming supported by a poor AppleTV remote app, followed by a crap ATV4 physical remote with a user-UNfriendly ATV Computer app that crashes when you launch a basic photo slideshow.

Playing personal/family media has become a nightmare. Today everything is centered on AppleIDs, DRMs, cloud and subscription services. There's no iTunes home media centre that can plug into the ATV & homepod environment. A basic shared "family" iTunes media centre is a real pain to set up in Apple's world ... there's not even support for a basic 2TB SSD plugged into the back of the ATV.

The only real option pushed by Apple is forcing me (and the rest of the family) to sign up for a monthly fee to stream my personal content from a cloud service ... and then hope to tie me in to purchases.

I have my content and don't need to send data around the world to get access to it. Pay to waste more energy in storage systems and data transmission between server rooms ? No thank you!

Patience running out and will be spending time re-assessing plex and getting rid of the Apple environment.

17. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Same. Which is why I've never bought an ATV. At the moment, I have a relatively cheap WD NAS which comes with Twonky, and my old Samsung TV has a DLNA client that can read what Twonky serves. It's not particularly pretty or fast, but once the movie starts playing then none of that matters.

In the future, when I upgrade my equipment and would appreciate stuff like 4K and dolby atmos, I'll start searching for a media server type thing.

18. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Most likely... but it's a shame. I see two (2) major use-cases for fully integrating media content regardless of source.

1. PERSONAL CONTENT: things that cannot be purchased from iTunes, such as anything you've recorded yourself. This would apply to video (home movies), music, etc.

2. CACHED CONTENT: for families with children - who like to watch the same movies repeatedly - it is absolutely silly to stream the content multiple time. Just have it cached locally. A variant would also be for those who do not have consistently good Internet access that want to pre-stream (e.g. download in advance).

19. neliason macrumors 6502

It exists to keep my iMac from sleeping. I have the Computers app in my top shelf ‘dock’ because I have a lot of content on my iMac. Since Mojave my iMac won’t sleep properly. I put in a bug request when Mojave came out. Only last month I got a response that having the Computers app there will prevent sleep. So, if you like the feature of preventing your iMac that you want to sleep from sleeping you need their crummy Computers app.

20. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

That is the entire reason the ATV exists.

21. mnemonicpoet macrumors newbie

If it bothers you that much you can just move any app that auto-plays video away from the top row. Me, I love it. Makes the home screen feel more alive and interactive. Unlike Netflix at least Apple had the good sense to keep the videos on mute unless you specifically interact with them.

I like how the Music section offers multiple videos from different genres of music to browse through and cycles through on its own. I forget sometimes that Apple Music offers videos and this is a great way to discover what's available (I know that sounded like a commercial but I promise you I'm not a robot, which is what a robot would say but I promise you I'm not...or am I? Maybe it's not me sending this but my robot overlord in the Matrix that's guiding my hands...TANK! LET ME OUT!!)

So far the only app I see that has auto-play videos is the Music app. Maybe once Apple Arcade launches it'll have auto-play videos too.

During the keynote Apple showed off the Apple TV app having auto-play video but it's not working for me (unless they removed that feature).

22. mryingster macrumors 6502

mryingster

Exactly. I never browse Netflix anymore, and just go straight to whatever show I am watching from AppleTV's main menu. I want to know what sort of A/B testing they did to arrive at the conclusion that this new interface is better.

23. HylianKnight macrumors regular

My problem with the remote is that it is laggy/buggy, but I suspect it is because it has a very weak transmitter.

24. Rique, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019

Rique macrumors regular

I've come to really appreciate Plex. What brain-dead simple features do you think are missing?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2019 ---
    Plex is a terrific option, although I use it in the Apple environment. The ATV Plex app has become really nice (it took a while to get there, but was worth the wait). It's not as simple as Apple's approach, though. It is server dependent and so you must maintain that server (add your own content). I expect many prefer streaming so they can just access a GUI and stream whatever they want with no server to maintain. I personally prefer Plex, but that is largely because we are stuck with satellite for broadband which suffers from latency and in addition is saddled with a usage cap. Streaming is not very compatible with that kind of a setup and Plex provides options which are preferable... at least for my use case (and I suspect perhaps also for yours).

25. Kristopherdrew macrumors newbie

Kristopherdrew

Same here :(