Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
That's why i went back and editted my post, to give some attempt at a warning.

Yeah thats what saved me. Thanks a lot. I accidentally read the first one tho. :(

Someone should delete those posts and ban that f'n prick.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
Gutted. I read the first two and scrolled up.

Hopefully not true though, wa*ker spoilt the surprise...

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Temporary ban till the book is out, maybe, but not a perma-ban just because some Potter fans are pissed. You don't even know that what he said is true. At least, I'm still looking forward to the book...:rolleyes:

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Temporary ban till the book is out, maybe, but not a perma-ban just because some Potter fans are pissed. You don't even know that what he said is true. At least, I'm still looking forward to the book...:rolleyes:

Did you read what he wrote? Some people, like myself, can't enjoy a book, movie or TV show if they know what is going to happen. I just preordered this thing, I have been looking forward to it for months, and now for me, it is barely worth reading.

This kid, after reading so many plee's for people not to post spoilers, posted everything. Do we need that kind of immaturity on MR?

I don't care if you think I am over-reacting, it takes a lot for me to get pissed off, but this kid hit the nail on the head. If I was an admin, I would ban him on the spot, just to teach him not to be a little prick, and to prevent anything like this from happening again...

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Did you read what he wrote? Some people, like myself, can't enjoy a book, movie or TV show if they know what is going to happen. I just preordered this thing, I have been looking forward to it for months, and now for me, it is barely worth reading.

Wait...according to a previous post you only read the first of the list of spoilers he posted, now you say the book is hardly worth reading just because you know that one thing?? (And that one thing wasn't really that hard to figure out in the first place). :rolleyes::rolleyes:

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Wait...according to a previous post you only read the first of the list of spoilers he posted, now you say the book is hardly worth reading just because you know that one thing?? (And that one thing wasn't really that hard to figure out in the first place). :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read two things, and I disagree. I do not think this was an easy thing to figure out. Maybe I am not as smart as you are...

Clearly you guys think I shouldn't be upset about this. I don't really feel like justifying my personal preferences regarding spoilers to any of you. I am just unhappy about what happened. I really and truly enjoy things like books and tv shows, and I really enjoy the suprise I feel when something happens that I was not expecting, or when an old question is answered. As lame as it may be for a guy who is 20, I also love Harry Potter. As I said I have been looking forward to this for a long time, and now, honestly, a lot fo that is gone. I don't care if you guys think that shouldn't be the case, it just is.

So some guys Potter experience is ruined, why should you care? You shouldn't, but you also shouldn't make it a point to try and defend this guy who, whether you think it is warranted or not, ruined this book for me.

achie25

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
I haven't read any of this thread so that I could skip the possible spoilers.

My thought is that Harry will die and either Ron or Ginny will kill Voldemort.

What made Harry so strong against the Dark Lord is the sacrifice that his mother made with her love allowing her to sacrifice her life for Harry. I think that Harry will do the same thing for Ginny (who he loves) or Ron (who is his best friend and always takes the backseat to Harry).

Just a thought.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I haven't read any of this thread so that I could skip the possible spoilers.

What made Harry so strong against the Dark Lord is the sacrifice that his mother made with her love allowing her to sacrifice her life for Harry. I think that Harry will do the same thing for Ginny (who he loves) or Ron (who is his best friend and always takes the backseat to Harry).

Just a thought.

I've always thought that Harry was the only one that could kill Voldemort.

Interesting thought I had last night - Dumbledore is an animagus. He can turn into a phoenix. Could make sense, right?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
No spoilers here (heck, I'm a book behind!)

-I really think that Snape is in the good side. He obviously hates Harry, but non the less I believe he is good. There are a lot of theories about why I think this, but I don't want to put spoilers here for people who haven't read the 6 book.

Appreciate that. I've not yet read "Half Blood Prince", so even the mention of the Horcruxes is a small spoiler for me.

With this in mind that I'm at least one book behind...

I have a feeling that you're going to see some tragic - yet heroic - sacrifices made in the name of Good over Evil, from characters that one wouldn't expect to risk their neck for Harry. Snape is one example. Vernon Dursley is another.

-I hope not, but something tells me either Ron or Hermione is going to die.

Agreed.

-It won't surprise me if Harry dies, but something tells it is not going to happen.

At least not permanently :D If we allow Rowling some literary plagurism, do recall that Frodo "died" in the Mines of Moria (that's how the rest of the party found out about the Mithril shirt that Bilbo had given him)

-Harry and Ginny would end together again and form a happy family.

Having not seen anything yet on Harry's love interests, but knowing that its coming, I would expect something along these lines, perhaps in an epilogue.

There's a million different permutations as to how this could play out. I can envision something along the lines of a "temporary" death, whereupon whoever is there then blasts at Voldemort, which somehow finishes the job because Harry's not really dead. From this sort of event, there could easily be any number of heroic self-sacrifices made to kill of characters.

Or vice versa, as per the above.

Overall, I expect the story to contain multiple dramatic cliff-hangers that turn out to not be quite what they all seem, which results in the storyline having the sorts of twists and turns that make for surprises instead of a very linear, obvious path. If Rowling really wanted to have a sense of humor about the whole thing, she could kill off Voldemort by having him pound Harry into a pulp, throw him in his dungeon to torture-to-death after he cleans himself up....but then while cleaning up, Voldemort slips on a bar of soap in his bathtub, cracks his skull open and dies. The Fans would all scream that it being anti-climatic, but I really would find this sort of end to be downright hilariously delicious irony and tip my hat to Rowling for being brave enough to use it :D :D :D

About the only real rule that Rowling is constrained by is:

"The Truth is always stranger than Fiction, because Fiction has to make sense."

As such, my only real expectation is that primary plot elements will be cleanly brought to resolution, regardless of what the specifics of that resolution are. I don't think that she will drop a literary Nuke on the countryside and kill off all of the characters, under the arguement that the other Magic schools will survive.

Nevertheless, I do expect a few Tolkien-esque "The Eagles! The Eagles!" sorts of plot device twists in the final book, although I think that they will all be of the sort that we will have had seen prior clues to (such as the Giants), and not any "Tom Bombadil" or "Old Man Willow" surprises, since JK is quite aware that all elements of her book are going to be quickly dissected.

-hh

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Whilst I've been told/read about the deaths and who lives, I'm still looking forward to reading all the little details. I'm a fan of all the books and love all the details J.K. Rowling puts into them.

Just a little under 4 hours and 20 minutes till I can get my hands on it. Waiting in the pouring rain! Good old British weather!

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I am gonna go get some dinner then head to Barnes and Nobles at 6.

Hopefully some cool Games and trivia stuff will go on. And if someone runs into the store and yells oyt spoilers I am gonna kill him.;)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This may be a stupid question but what the heck does
"IN TRANSIT TO FINAL DESTINATION" mean from UPS. Reason I am asking is it is my copy of the book. I had to order it online because their is no book store close to me doing a mid night release and I am sure as hell not willing to struggle to get a hold of the book from walmart or other retailer in the area.
I place an order with B&N over a month ago and they stated that it would be deliver on the 21st to my place of residents. Does any one else have experince with BN in the past with something like that. I want to know because I really want to the book for the weekend while I have time to read it. It be really bad if I get it Monday because I do have work to do then.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
This may be a stupid question but what the heck does
"IN TRANSIT TO FINAL DESTINATION" mean from UPS. Reason I am asking is it is my copy of the book. I had to order it online because their is no book store close to me doing a mid night release and I am sure as hell not willing to struggle to get a hold of the book from walmart or other retailer in the area.
I place an order with B&N over a month ago and they stated that it would be deliver on the 21st to my place of residents. Does any one else have experince with BN in the past with something like that. I want to know because I really want to the book for the weekend while I have time to read it. It be really bad if I get it Monday because I do have work to do then.

I believe the major booksellers worked something out with UPS to ship, but hold delivery until the 21st. According to my amazon shipment my book has been in my city since yesterday, but it's still considered in transit.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I believe the major booksellers worked something out with UPS to ship, but hold delivery until the 21st. According to my amazon shipment my book has been in my city since yesterday, but it's still considered in transit.

had to be some hell of deal to get ups to do all those Saturday deliveries. I think it would be really get if like 5-6pm tonight the book is on my door step.

Really what I wish was true was their was a B&N with in a reasonable distance I could just drive to for the midnight release. I though it was pretty cool when I went to the one for book 6 and I enjoyed it. I would of loved to be at the final one for book 7 but alas I am in a small little town that is over 30 miles from the nearest B&N or much else other than walmart. Oh and a Kmart other than that no real major chains here.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
had to be some hell of deal to get ups to do all those Saturday deliveries. I think it would be really get if like 5-6pm tonight the book is on my door step.<SNIP>

Yeah...my friend's husband works for UPS and a couple weeks ago it was announced that unless you have some seniority you are working Harry Potter Saturday. Not a direct quote mind you, just the gist of it. Luckily he has been there a while and doesn't have to work it. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yeah...my friend's husband works for UPS and a couple weeks ago it was announced that unless you have some seniority you are working Harry Potter Saturday. Not a direct quote mind you, just the gist of it. Luckily he has been there a while and doesn't have to work it. :D

sweet. that might explain why it was sent UPS instead of the standard US postal system. Oh and thank you for that information. I was a little worried about it other wise.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
sweet. that might explain why it was sent UPS instead of the standard US postal system. Oh and thank you for that information. I was a little worried about it other wise.

Yeah I decided to order it from Amazon a week ago when she told me...didn't get around to it til Monday. Luckily Amazon also had a garuntee that it was free if it didn't arive on saturday as long as you ordered on or before tuesday.

I read two things, and I disagree. I do not think this was an easy thing to figure out. Maybe I am not as smart as you are...

Clearly you guys think I shouldn't be upset about this. I don't really feel like justifying my personal preferences regarding spoilers to any of you. I am just unhappy about what happened. I really and truly enjoy things like books and tv shows, and I really enjoy the suprise I feel when something happens that I was not expecting, or when an old question is answered. As lame as it may be for a guy who is 20, I also love Harry Potter. As I said I have been looking forward to this for a long time, and now, honestly, a lot fo that is gone. I don't care if you guys think that shouldn't be the case, it just is.

So some guys Potter experience is ruined, why should you care? You shouldn't, but you also shouldn't make it a point to try and defend this guy who, whether you think it is warranted or not, ruined this book for me.

I know what you mean, but with the world the way it is today, what did you expect? you start a harry potter thread... AN INVITATION FOR SPOILERS TO SPOIL!

in todays world, you have to expect the worst will happen.

not saying paleck is unethical or anything, but you must truly understand that 90% of the world thinks in direct opposition to your way of thinking, has morals 180 degrees out of phase, and holds ethics completely contradictory to yours.

that's just the way things are (and probably have always been)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.