Has anybody on here ever had a sugar baby?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hieveryone, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Just curious what it's about.

I've heard it's not uncommon for a sugar baby to fall in love with her sugar daddy.

Why is it common?

2. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

3. ImBuz macrumors regular

ImBuz

sugar-babies.jpeg

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Wow... The things you find ;)

I'll play the role. Could use a new Mac Pro. And maybe a Ferrari. After some time we can find out if I fall in love with you or the gifts.

Lol

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't mind giving a girl money and gifts but what is this love business all about?

Apparently there are sugar babies who do end up falling in love.

That parts kind of befuddling....

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Love happens. Two people meet. They get to know eachother, and regardless of how they were with eachother originally, sometimes feelings change.

I've fallen in love with people I used to strongly dislike. It happens.

I've also grown to dislike people I used to love. Love is the one thing without a defined outcome. It happens, it fails, it succeeds. Don't try to understand it. Just enjoy it.

7. zakarhino macrumors 6502a

zakarhino

"Sugar Baby"

What kinda Apple product is that? Did I miss it?

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The coming replacement for the Mac mini. It'll be incapable of doing anything without a Mac Pro to support it.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's amazing how money can bend the perspective of love. Watch them "love" them once they have gone bankrupt. They aren't kidding anyone but the loser handing over the cash.

I find the whole concept of sugar daddies and babies absurd.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Such a loaded question...I'd have to reveal my immense wealth and my disloyalty to my wife. Instead I'll reveal its been decades since I ate a bag of them. :)

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Firstly, there is a significant difference in meaning between "not uncommon" and "common".

Secondly, I don't believe that this is all that "common" (or "not uncommon") in the first place. Rather, I think it is a particular male wish fulfilment fantasy, the sort of fantasy indulged in by somewhat deluded - but wealthy - older men who try to convince themselves that the gorgeous young woman whom they fund, or whose lifestyle they fund, really and truly and deep down adores them.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The same thing can be seen any time people with different levels of means get to know each other. Military service men and airline pilots have been known to bring home foreign wives from poor locations. I sure there are cases where where you are loved for yourself, as opposed to partially or completely viewed as a vehicle to escape poverty. It could be hard to say until after the fact. And look at rich people and their prenuptials. ;)

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not just pilots, and military service men, but diplomats, too, and foreign aid workers.

Yes, I have seen this in action, as well. While some of these relationships worked out - usually those where there was space for both parties to grow in the relationship - a great many did not.

It is, of course, entirely possible that in such a situation that you are loved for yourself - and not as a means, or vehicle by which to escape poverty. However, that sort of exchange can cut both ways, though. This is because when such a stark difference in income level and sheer status kicks in, elements of possessiveness (the old 'I bought you' mindset) can become an issue.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I honestly have not met any sugar daddies and babies. To answer your question, there is a reason why they are successful;charming, charismatic, confidence, knowledgable, etc.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

It's all over the web articles like "how not to fall in love with your sugar baby"

I think the reason why this happens is because they're usually students or women with jobs.

And here comes this guy, let's say 35 years old, well to do, charming and successful, and buying her gifts and treating her like a princess.

BUT,

Even though they're intimate, at the end of the day, he's still unavailable. The relationship is mere fantasy for both of them (at least initially).

I think there's a little bit of "you want what you can't have" going on.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Add twenty or thirty years to his age, - in other words, 65, or 55 years of age, not 35 years of age - and you'll get close to what what people think might fit the definition of someone who has been described as a 'sugar daddy'.

A thirty five year old is not what people would view as a sugar daddy, unless his sexual preference runs to young teenagers, in which case other questions might arise.

Besides, women with jobs are not usually in need of a 'sugar daddy', as they tend to be economically self-sufficient.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is a tough question to answer for someone who doesn't understand the difference between love and lust.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very well said.

However, I think you may have some clue as to your answer in the OP's post #6 quoted above.

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree with some of this, although there are 35 year old sugar daddies out there who have a college-aged sugar baby.

I'm guessing that would be the type of guy a sugar baby could fall in love with.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Hogwash. In the context of your question love isn't in play nor it is about means. It's all about both individual's immediate needs and how much they're willing to compromise.

21. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I can't believe there's another inane HiEveryone thread ...

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is so demeaning. My wife is 7 years older than me and makes more money than me. So what?

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If it's on the internet, it must be true.

24. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Correct, because it's not possible for a beautiful college-aged sugar baby to fall in love with her 35 year old, charming, handsome, sugar daddy who spoils her with cash and gifts...

EDIT: I guess the above answers my question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.