Has anyone changed their habits in order to use Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KuchiKopi, Nov 11, 2014.

1. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

I've noticed some habit changes for me since the launch of Apple Pay

• I've been doing most of my shopping for food and essentials at Wal-Mart. I actually am somewhat morally opposed to Wal-Mart but I do have to admit the prices are cheap! it has really helped me save money.
    • I have lunch at McDonalds most days of the week... our work does a weekly trip to a random restaurant and most of the time it doesnt take Apple Pay, but other days I find myself going to McDonalds most of the time. (I tried Subway but had very poor luck trying to use Apple Pay). I've started to order things off the McDonalds menu that I never thought i'd try.
    • I've switched to only shopping at PetCo instead of PetSmart for dog toys.
    • I'm starting to avoid other merchants that don't have NFC terminals... if they aren't willing to support the latest payment methods, why should I be willing to support them?

Anyone else feel similarly?

2. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

I have yet to use Apple Pay, but am I constantly aware of where I go looking for the opportunity to use it, so I am sure my habits will change soon lol.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

So that means you have a Walmart that takes NFC payments?

They seem to be rare at this point.

I haven't altered my habits because I have very few places in town that takes it. I don't eat out for lunch or work in an office or have a pet. Whole Foods would be great but they are 60 miles away!

Would I use it more if I could? Heck ya!

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't start eating unheathier (i.e., McDonald's) just to use Apple Pay, but I did start shopping at Walgreens instead of CVS.

Good to see that you're finally learning how to use Apple Pay.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No.

My prescriptions are at CVS, and will be at CVS for the forseeable future because there's one right by work. I won't eat McDonalds more frequently just for the sake of using ApplePay because their food is garbage. I don't shop at Whole Foods because the food at normal grocery stores is fine and cheaper.

6. Akack macrumors 6502a

7. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

I love your signature

8. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Anyone who changes their life style or goes out of their way just to use a cell phone to pay for things is retarded.

On that note i used apple pay at subway today and at Walgreens last night to buy toiletries

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

No real changes on my end so far. While I'd like to see greater adoption of Apple Pay due to the enhanced security of EMV Tokenization, I'm unlikely to go to any great lengths.

I already preferred Walgreens over CVS/RA. I don't go to Whole Foods much. I rarely do fast food so haven't been to McD's but did choose Subway one day when my other choice was Taco Bell. Also don't have much occasion to go to Walmart, though there is a new two week old Walmart grocery near me I'll check out sometime. My preferred grocery chain doesn't yet have EMV terminals.

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

That's crazy, I would never alter my habits to conform to technology. If it can't conform around me then I won't use it.

11. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I've been surprised actually how much my habits have changed. I have been hit twice in the last year with credit card replacements because of breaches (Home Depot one had a $2000 charge on my account). So I basically don't want to swipe anymore. ApplePay came along at just the right time for me...

Now I've switched from CVS to WalGreens (although apparently CVS has turned it back on according to reports today). I was not going back to Home Depot but with ApplePay I'm now comfortable with it again. And I've been going to Fresh Market instead of the local grocery for small things because they take it.

I was at a hotel last week and they swiped my credit card with a POS system running Windows XP. Man did I cringe. Widespread adoption of ApplePay can't come soon enough for me.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks for posting that.
    $40 seems low for the average basket. There's a reason the place is known as Whole Paycheck. :D

For the security aspects alone (retailer not having my card #) I will use Apple Pay instead of swiping or chip+sign at any place that will accept AP (and not make a big production out of it).

I won't go (much) out of my way to go to an ApplePay supporting store vs a competitor, but if I'm otherwise indifferent why not vote with my wallet that I want greater security?

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

That would equate to what I probably spend when I'm there. I'm not doing all my shopping, and i'm just getting stuff that I can't elsewhere. Oh, and i'm not exactly in the "wealthy" bracket of shoppers :p

I wonder if a lot of people shop for a couple of days at a time there? We have a huge chunk that do that at Target. That could explain the lower basket amount too.

We have a Fresh market, I forgot about it until the other night when I went by there. I've only been in once - and it seemed really expensive. I'll have to go again and see what on my list I can accomplish there.

14. KuchiKopi thread starter macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

No thanks to the advice of people on this forum who said i need to tell the cashier im paying with credit... and then get out my phone. :rolleyes:

Just used apple pay at my local conoco! Very impressed

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I finally added A card to Apple Pay. I don't find myself seaking it out at all though.

We rarely shop at walmart. Market Basket (New England store) has the best prices, better than walmart. Walmart isn;t really a thing here, especially not with groceries. Outside of that, we check deals at Shaws and Stop and Shop, both of whom double coupons. Wife loves to score cheap/free boxes of cereal lol. We always end up throwing some boxes in the donations box.

I couldn't eat at McDonald's every day. I don't consider myself a health nut, but I am more health conscious than I used to be. Fast food is certainly a once in a blue moon thing. I realize you can get a salad or something, but those are the priciest thing on the menu lol. If you want to save money (as was mentioned being excited about shopping at walmart), bringing food will always be the better option. I realize it is not the popular choice. No matter where I work, more than half of the people are always going out.

Petco has more expensive dog food than Petsmart. It's the only thing I ever find myself buying at a pet store. I usually grab food from work. There are occasions when I am an idiot and I go to feed the dogs and there is nothing in the bin. I usually snag a $5 coupon for that, too. :)

The Boston area just has too many mom and pop places that don't accept Apple Pay. Avoiding them would really suck.

16. 617aircav Suspended

I was at McDonald's yesterday. I contemplated using Apple pay but using my card was so much more convenient.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I've been to Fresh Market. Probably ten or twelve years ago. I had a bad case of sticker shock and haven't been back since. Whole foods sometimes but not often. Trader Joes is a frequent stop too for some things, but they're frequently on my way already; I wouldn't drive way out of my way for them.

I'm fortunate to have a really cool international supermarket / farmers-market with a wide variety of fresh produce at very low prices fairly close. Lots of frozen and dry goods, huge mix of the usual domestic stuff but also lots of international items. They cater to the immigrant populations of all heritages; asian, latin, middle-eastern, african, etc. (No they don't take ApplePay... LOL)

18. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

There are healthy items on their menu. You don't have to have burgers or fries.

19. caesarp macrumors 6502a

This makes no sense. Apple pay is using your card. In a faster and more secure way.

20. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Do you guys see merchants using Square there? If Square supports ApplePay as they say they will, I could see small businesses actually offering ApplePay more easily than big businesses.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't buy that.

Using a credit card:
    1) Take wallet out
    2) Open wallet and take default card out of slot
    3) Swipe card.

Using Apple Pay:
    1) With your thumb on Touch ID, take iPhone out and bring to reader.

22. 617aircav Suspended

I am not going to hang up my phone call just to pay.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you're one of the annoying people who yap at the checkout line all throughout the transaction? Nice.

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have yet to use Apple pay yet and until they come to me it'll remain that way. I'll likely use at an Apple store soon, but beyond that probably not for a while.